2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,939 Posts
That looks awesome and very practical!!

·
Registered
'22 Outback Wilderness Magnetite Grey
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone is interested, and has access to a 3D printer, I can send you the .stl file. I'm still monkeying around with the compartment layout. For example, I'm working on making it taller to take advantage of the full height available (about 33mm). Also looking at more heat resistant material that would be more robust for when the car is parked on hot summer days in the full sun.

·
Registered
'19 Legacy Limited ('23 Legacy Touring on order)
120 Posts
Also looking at more heat resistant material that would be more robust for when the car is parked on hot summer days in the full sun.

PETG or ABS would be the most durable in a hot car (unless your printer can handle Polycarbonate but that's expensive and has strict requirements)

·
Registered
120 Posts
PETG should handle it fairly well for most of the country. Might be iffy in the desert areas of the country. I haven't messed with the PC as I have a relatively cheap printer (Monoprice Maker Select Plus with Microswiss hot end). One of these days I need to start printing again, haven't really messed with it in a couple years.

·
Registered
'22 Outback Wilderness Magnetite Grey
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The PETG test print came out pretty good earlier today. I was expecting a bit more stringing. ABS is a pain, since it needs ventilation, but draft protection at the same time. If the temp changes too much, it will warp during the print and the layers will separate.

I've got a Prusa i3 MK3, which is a bit more expensive, but seems to be pretty reliable. Excited to try the PC on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Prusa is supposed to be fantastic. If I were serious into printing, that would be at the top of my list. Right now my problem is not havnig the time to really dive in. I have too many hobbies....and a 4 yr old at home.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx Edition XT
87 Posts
If anyone is interested, and has access to a 3D printer, I can send you the .stl file. I'm still monkeying around with the compartment layout. For example, I'm working on making it taller to take advantage of the full height available (about 33mm). Also looking at more heat resistant material that would be more robust for when the car is parked on hot summer days in the full sun.
I don't have access to a 3D printer. I do have access to money and Venmo....
When you get the final design nailed down, I'd be interested in paying you to make me one, if you're interested.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When you get the final design nailed down, I'd be interested in paying you to make me one, if you're interested.
If he isn't interested in printing them for you, but will still share the STL, there is a subreddit dedicated to people printing 3d things for you. r/3dprintmything

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT Autumn Green Metallic
5 Posts
I came across something like that on Amazon over the weekend. I tried to search and see if anyone here had used/reviewed it but didn’t find anything on the forum (but I could have missed it). Seems like a lot of people are looking for more interior storage so I thought this might be a good way to stash something small

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium
79 Posts
X2. As the saying goes.."shut up and take my money!" :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I'm down for one if they're going to market.. as they say.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts