Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Outback Wilderness Magnetite Grey
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone is interested, and has access to a 3D printer, I can send you the .stl file. I'm still monkeying around with the compartment layout. For example, I'm working on making it taller to take advantage of the full height available (about 33mm). Also looking at more heat resistant material that would be more robust for when the car is parked on hot summer days in the full sun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm trying it with PETG right now and just ordered a PC blend that's supposed to be somewhat friendly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The PETG test print came out pretty good earlier today. I was expecting a bit more stringing. ABS is a pain, since it needs ventilation, but draft protection at the same time. If the temp changes too much, it will warp during the print and the layers will separate.

I've got a Prusa i3 MK3, which is a bit more expensive, but seems to be pretty reliable. Excited to try the PC on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not going to into the business of printing these trays, but happy to share the current file with anyone who want to print their own. The current design takes roughly 6-hours to print, so the cost I'd have to charge would be quite high. If there was a high enough demand, then injection molding would be the way to go, but that would required many many many thousands of dollars to develop. I work for a large medical device company, so am familiar with the development of mold tools.

Just thinking about this now, but I will likely post up the .stl file on Thingiverse for all to see. I'll post a link when that's done.

There are some 3D printing services out there, but the really high quality ones (Protolab, Xometry,) etc would be pretty expensive. For example, I just got a Xometry quote for this in ABS for $80. I'm sure there are folks with printer farms out there willing to do it much cheaper.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cool that you did this yourself. I bought a “Subie Tray” about a year ago and it is excellent.

I saw those and they look nice, but I only wanted a shallow tray for the upper compartment. Still looking for the best material. Car interior gets very toasty on summer days. Early version warped pretty severely after a few hours in the car parked in the sun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you would like to sell one you have a buyer here.
I'm going to be running a few test prints with other materials. I'll let you know if I have any spare successful prints. That I can let go.

The one I showed in the picture (made from PLA) did not do well with NC August heat inside the car. I currently have a PETG one that seems to be OK. Going to run polycarbonate tomorrow.

If I find something good, maybe I'll do a limited run. Maybe look into incorporating some stars into the bottom (without violating copyright laws).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts