Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Sounds about right. If I've seen 20 stolen Subaru threads over the years on various Subaru forums, 19/20 of them are in the pacific northwest.

From 1970's to 2004 Subaru's are all the exact same - get the engine to turn over and disable the mechanical steering column lock and you've got a running and driving vehicle. Some do have alarms, but there's no software in the starting process like with newer chipped and married components.

There's also two really easy ways to drive off with one that anyone on this board could do. Zero tools, zero wiring, no breaking.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From 1970's to 2004 Subaru's are all the exact same - get the engine to turn over and disable the mechanical steering column lock and you've got a running and driving vehicle. Some do have alarms, but there's no software in the starting process like with newer chipped and married components.

There's also two really easy ways to drive off with one that anyone on this board could do. Zero tools, zero wiring, no breaking.
The model depicted in the cover photo of the linked article is a 2008 or 2009. I haven't seen this issue much when I searched the Gen 3 forum; any difference with Gen 3 on what you're saying above?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
The model depicted in the cover photo of the linked article is a 2008 or 2009. I haven't seen this issue much when I searched the Gen 3 forum; any difference with Gen 3 on what you're saying above?
2006-and later (?) subarus have chipped keys.

any kid or bum with a old 1995-1999 subaru key can steal any 1995-1999 with 180,000 miles on it as the door locks/ ignition switch has wore down enough to make it easy. (like the real life truth of stealing old ford with the skinny handle of some small tea spoons).

and its a minnesota plate:

"Car thefts are increasingly common in Portland—but the break-in photos in the following pages are staged. (Abby Gordon)"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts