Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,281 Posts
I don't see a unicorn horn on the Ascent,...although the 2.4T might be surprisingly quick,...maybe even considered fast with a tune:

(a unicorn is something like a limited production 2008-09 LGT spec B, or a 2010-12 LGT)

·
Super Moderator
25,281 Posts
@Kevin @Carl Abrams when are dealers like you (close to the factory) "supposed" to get your first Ascent. ?

are they going to leak out single ones for dealers to have to enable test drives / ordering?

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,281 Posts
thread is open

here someone on LGT.com got a test drive, and pics posted on mothers day sunday 5/13/18:

looks like a single demonstrator with the decals stuck on it,...so maybe they will hold it for a while (like to enable orders):

and the decals answer to other drivers asking "hey whats that?" .... "love is now bigger then ever" (insert joke here).

thanks to Perscitus of LGT (not on this forum with that name), for taking them and posting.

more pics at this link:

Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Ascent quick view

Took a quick look at one of the new Ascent limited demo vehicles that are visiting local dealers. Surprised how cheap it looked on the inside. Lots of hard black plastic. I do realize these are preproduction vehicles. The third seat goes up and down via pull straps. Hood is held up via a strut, not shocks.
There is no ceiling cargo light. just a very small light on one side. Did not get a chance to drive it. My sales person and another employee seemed disappointed.

I will take a harder look when the production models are available. I like my OB better at this point.

·
Super Moderator
25,281 Posts
Took a quick look at one of the new Ascent limited demo vehicles that are visiting local dealers. Surprised how cheap it looked on the inside. Lots of hard black plastic. I do realize these are preproduction vehicles. The third seat goes up and down via pull straps. Hood is held up via a strut, not shocks.
There is no ceiling cargo light. just a very small light on one side. Did not get a chance to drive it. My sales person and another employee seemed disappointed.

I will take a harder look when the production models are available. I like my OB better at this point.
merged with existing thread,

did it have the large decals on it like the one I linked?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
merged with existing thread,

did it have the large decals on it like the one I linked?
Yes, it did. I was told these were pre-production cars and would be destroyed and not sold.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
just like the ski cars...lol
were to be stripped of the logo before public sale...

lol. I know of 3 that got past that stipulation and know of one still in my state

again these cars are not destroyed, they are stripped and sold to you and me

Legit question here: Why is the fender to hood gap larger on the new 2019 stuff than back in 1981 and 1985? Did subaru get engineers that failed the body gap testing at other auto companies? Just look at the ascent vs ski wagons...anybody want to know why ?

·
Registered
666 Posts

You and that other employee must be the only ones disappointed because it is getting rave reviews from auto shows to preproduction events. I have looked at one several times. The interior is a mix of new Impreza/crosstrek and current Outback. Seats seen comfy with the drivers side having a additional thigh support(limited/touring). I noticed 2 things that where a little more upscale on the OB vs the Ascent- A pillars are plastic instead of cloth and the manual hood strut. No big deal and this could change on production cars. Also, being on the SGP quietness is superior over the Outback

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Legit question here: Why is the fender to hood gap larger on the new 2019 stuff than back in 1981 and 1985?
I think you're observing the progress of photography rather than a backslide in car manufacturing. Lower resolution and less dynamic range can cause details to be lost in a given image. I think the gaps would look very similar to you if both photos had gone though the same process.

It doesn't help that most modern cars now have the hood directly adjacent to the clear lens of the headlight, where in 80s designs they were either adjacent to metal fenders on the side or a black/chrome headlight bezel on the front. A gap between two opaque parts is one thing, but between an opaque and transparent object? That's something different for the brain to interpret.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You and that other employee must be the only ones disappointed because it is getting rave reviews from auto shows to preproduction events. I have looked at one several times. The interior is a mix of new Impreza/crosstrek and current Outback. Seats seen comfy with the drivers side having a additional thigh support(limited/touring). I noticed 2 things that where a little more upscale on the OB vs the Ascent- A pillars are plastic instead of cloth and the manual hood strut. No big deal and this could change on production cars. Also, being on the SGP quietness is superior over the Outback
Like i said This was a quick review and as you said things can change for the production model. I would certainly not buy the first year due to "first-year issues" and second-year refinements. I also need to remember Subarus are built to a price point and not a luxury vehicle. :) My opinion may change when I drive one.

·
Super Moderator
25,281 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Saw Ascent yesterday and kind of surprised it had pull straps for the third row seat .
Hopefully straps go away in the production model ...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Saw Ascent yesterday and kind of surprised it had pull straps for the third row seat .
Hopefully straps go away in the production model ...
Some vehicles like the Audi Q7 use motors for most or all third seat operations. I have no idea about Explorer, Edge or Highlander

·
Registered
365 Posts
Subaru uses certain things to keep cars at certain price point.
Pull straps might stay .
They're also simpler, don't break, and weigh less.

Having come from a 535i to a Legacy just a few days ago, it's pretty clear why the BMW (and Audi for that matter) costs so much more and broke more often: it's complicated, and complicated things break. Making and fixing complicated things is expensive.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Some vehicles like the Audi Q7 use motors for most or all third seat operations. I have no idea about Explorer, Edge or Highlander
Been looking at Explorers. Power third row seat operations are an option.

·
Super Moderator
25,281 Posts
anyone on the outback forum got a delivery date for their Ascent order?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts