Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the towing rating for the upcoming Ascent? I can't imagine s turbo 4CYL having much more than the Outback. Sure wish they would offer a 6 CYL with a towing package so you want have to trim the bumper around the hitch. Would look so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,266 Posts
here @Carl Abrams ...= mr. nice sales guy of Oklahoma City, says 5000 lbs.
(edit: confirmed as per literature flyers published November 28, 2017, LA autoshow)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/201-2019-subaru-ascent/374089-subaru-ascent-3-row-suv-viziv-7-concept.html#post4891065

I hope they can squeeze more then 200 lbs on the tongue, verses any other factory subaru without custom added steel. :|

EDIT: no tongue weight # published as of Nov 29, 2017 :confused: ...possibly to be found in the options catalog for the factory hitch?.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The engine matters little for tow rating. There are plenty of 20hp tractors that can tow 4 tons or more.

The transmission, frame (or unibody structure) and brakes are much more limiting. Hopefully Subaru builds this car to handle more.

·
Super Moderator
25,266 Posts
says here "class 3" hitch. ...no tongue max listed yet.

https://www.subaru.com/ascent

and apparently the base model is NOT made to tow the 5,000lbs.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My guess the base model lacks the hitch and sway control logic. Hence no official tow rating.

Wheel base length, vehicle weight and load rating for tongue weight tie into the generic max rated tow weight.

Though Subaru learned that cooling capacity is a must if they want to rate their cars to tow.

5000lbs max does not mean you get a 5000lb boat or RV and all is good. It means that it can safely drag 5000lbs across town, not across the US and over the Rockies. I’ve had two 5000lb rated trucks a Land Cruiser and a Sequoia. They were fine with anything up to about 2800lbs then you started to see negatives going heavier. Dragging an RV with either over a long distance you tend to learn to keep it light for sure at or under 3k. Or your wanting a heavier tow rig after the first 500 miles, or a lighter trailer.

But dragging the 5000lb ski boat 20min to the lake is fine and tolerable.

The Ascent will be no different. If your looking to do long RV hauls you wont be happy pulling 3000+ lbs it wont be a great experience. But it will be perfectly fine dragging the 5k ski boat across town to the Lake.

·
Super Moderator
25,266 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts