Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
621 Posts
It was interesting that they pointed out the 2012 version of the Infotainment center that the Highlander seems to be using.

My wife was looking at them, and he comment was “If I want a 2012 infortainment center, I could just keep my 2013 Legacy.” They are very similar to each other.

Its funny, as when you are talking to the folks at Toyota, and they are trying to get you to come in and test drive something.... “Have they replacement that infortainment system yet? No? Then why are you calling me?”

They really have nothing to say, and I think the Infotainment center is hurting their sales quite a bit.

Truthfully, while we felt the Ascent was nicer in many respects, we both liked the Highland quite a bit; She would probably be driving driving one now if not for the infotainment center.

Its actually so bad that its a concern for the value of the vehicle, IMO.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
They really have nothing to say, and I think the Infotainment center is hurting their sales quite a bit.
Don't know that I agree with that statement. YTD Highlander sales out pace Ascent sales almost 2 to 1. That is with very little Highlander ads and Ascent ads all over the place.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Don't know that I agree with that statement. YTD Highlander sales out pace Ascent sales almost 2 to 1. That is with very little Highlander ads and Ascent ads all over the place.
Yeah, but imagine how much better the Highlander would be doing with tech update!

...and the Ascent is new... give it a few years and I wonder what we’ll be seeing sales wise.

(Though, honestly, I’m really considering the Outback 2020 Limited... factory ordered. Even though the first model year is asking to be hosed... [Re: what happened to us with the first uear if the FB])

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Yeah, but imagine how much better the Highlander would be doing with tech update!
That's the thing I have trouble with. I'm an ancient, that despite a career in tech, doesn't much care about a ton of it in my vehicle.

I'm only interested in SXM and navigation. Not so much for the navigation but for the SXM nav traffic reporting. Works as well or better than mucking with a phone a couple of crap apps.

A friend has an '18 Highlander. The infotainment system does everything I would want it to do.

·
Registered
621 Posts
So, my issue is that I am also a tech guy... and I spend a ton of time in my car. (VMware)

When I look at a car, especially a 2019 model, I look at the list of features, how they compare to other manufacturers, and what their history of updates are.

I was looking at the Hybrid Highlander, which is **** nice. It’s the high-end version of the Highlander and it’s costly in general terms (compared to my Outback).

...and it’s got basically the same screen as my 2013 Outback Limited w/ Nav.

When you spend as much time as I do on the road, you want something nice.

Nice is Ford’s system...

Frankly, it makes no sense that Toyota isn’t on par or equal to someone like Ford. Both in look and capabilities.

That’s an issue I have with Subaru as well: Subaru is really bad about feature updates in older units... and in this case I mean a model year or two old.

Other manufacturers are much better at long term support of their tech packages, and Ford it doing a surprisingly good job, as an example.

(I know you and I have a fundamental difference of opinion on this, if past threads are any indication.)

However, when you spend $50k on a car, you should expect a infotainment system on par with the best in every respect.

I’m sure that in the DC area, this is effecting sales of units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts