Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 H6 3.0 OBW regularly shifts hard at very high speeds. Just barely noticeable at about 70mph or so, on a vacation from Texas to Colorado there were strtches of highway posted 75 so I ofcourse set the cruise on 85mph. In situations where I might hit the brake then hit resime, or times when I might floor it yo pass an RV, basically anytime the car downshifted it would jerk - fairly hard - into lower gear. I started trying to watch the tach and the engine might rev up 300-400 rpm and then be jerked back down when the AT slammed into gear. On rare occasions I have noticed a hard shift at slower (still highway) speeds but I can't determine any cause. I can always create a hard shift at 75 or more.(I do plan to bring it to the attention of my dealer)

Anyone encountered this?
tia

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Unfortunately this is normal. Subaru's 4AT is one of the worse transmissions ever made IMO. It is heavy duty although it has terrible shifts. Theres not a whole lot you can do about it, I'm going to put Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in a 10k miles and I hope it will help. I've heard many say that synthetic ATF will ruin Subaru auto trannies, maybe they'll replace it with one of the new 5AT's on the 2005 OB :D Doubtful but you never know...

For now I'd say just live with it, when I change the tranny fluid I'll get back with everyone to tell if its any better with the shifting.

Peaty I don't think its the AWD engagement, its just the 4EAT itself. I've also noticed that the AWD can be a little hard when engaging though. Its not that bad, actually it kinda feels good to have that surge that launches you out of the muck :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Though I did mention Colorado I should say this was dry pavement last summer. Strong enough of a jolt that - to me - seems like it could damage something. In a way, I suppose there is a 'little' comfort knowing it's common to all soobs. I'm still gonna bring it to the attention of the dealer (along with a couple other items) when I take it in.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Hi Guys, well the good news is the new 5EAT doesn't seem to suffer from hard shift or the slow shifting problem, also when in manual mode it shifts very quickly when you tell it to. I wouldn't say it's the best auto I've ever driven, but from what I've read about the 4 speed it seems it's a dramatic improvement. I does seem to hold the lower gears a little longer than I'd expect when in "normal" shift mode. Will have to try our Sport mode a bit more and see how that feels.

Well Carl in case you haven't seen my Outback syn-ed out thread I'll go ahead and tell you that the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF I put in my OB a few weeks back didn't help anything at all. Sorry, I guess we'll all have to live with Subaru's crappy 4EAT :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have been following that, but thanks for mentioning it anyway. So far, I have opted to run M1 in my engine - purchased from Wal-mart. I got the 10-30 but wish I could get 40w on the upper end - didn't notice any at wally world. It get s hot here in Texas and just wanted a little more viscosity. Still, so far so good.

Registered
04 outback 3.0R
3.0R shift patterns

Jondalar said:
Hi Guys, well the good news is the new 5EAT doesn't seem to suffer from hard shift or the slow shifting problem, also when in manual mode it shifts very quickly when you tell it to. I wouldn't say it's the best auto I've ever driven, but from what I've read about the 4 speed it seems it's a dramatic improvement. I does seem to hold the lower gears a little longer than I'd expect when in "normal" shift mode. Will have to try our Sport mode a bit more and see how that feels.
I too tend to agree with the holding 1st,2nd longer than needed, We picked our 3.0R up today and unless the car has had a flat battery and lost its memory for shift patterns it does rev higher than it really needs to for this engine.
I will give it a few Ks to sort its self out if not get clarification from subaru that this is normal operation of the g/box.
The sports mode function is great ,it will change automatically once it reaches a pre determined revs(safety feature I asume),weather it be high or low revs to suit the conditions.
As for torque/power I am pleasantly suprised to say the least with this engine,almost turbo like with the torque curve .Or you can drive quater throttle and just cruise around.In either g/box modes.

Looking forward to more Klms in the car to become more famillia with the handling.tend to think at this early stage it as good if not better than my Liberty RX 2.5ltr sedan it replaced.

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Jimmbo, I've just had the 6000km service done and ask that question, was told it's normal for the 3.0R, funny thing is the 2.5i shifts up at much lower revs, whether cold or hot. See my comments in the 2005 USDM thread if you're interested, I had a loaner 2.5i auto when mine was in for service.

Cheers,

Karl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts