Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 the other day. When I bought it I brought my friend who is good with cars but hasn't owned a Subaru before. Everything seemed fine, no dash lights or anything, the brake pads just seemed like they needed changing soon. Other than that everything seemed normal. Yesterday 30 minutes into an hour long drive home the check engine light came on and I started to freak out a little bit. It still drove the same. When I got it home I turned it off then turned it back on to see if it would come back on. It did and the AT Oil Temp light flashed 16 times then went away and the check engine light stayed on. It now does this everything like I start it. I'm new to Subaru and am not too mechanically savy. I've done some research but don't know what to do. My main concern is if driving it at all will cause serious damage to the car and if I should have it towed to a mechanic. Also new to the forum so I hope I put this in the right place. Any help would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
The 16-count flash just means there is a transmission error code. Since MY96 is OBD2, it MAY throw a check engine light for P0700 (transmission error). You should still be able to have the check engine light read, but as @miker104 said, use the "secret handshake" to extract the transmission code.

For starters, do tight, parking-speed circles: does the car buck, shudder, or try to resist moving forward (or backward)? Are all 4 tires the same make, size, and tread depth?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for all the responses. I got the check engine light scanned and it was for P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Flow. All the tires are the same and good. I did some slow tight turns and it does seem a little "slow" if that makes sense. It seems like I have to give it gas too quickly. I tried the secret handshake about 5 times haha. Every time when I looked for the AT oil temp light to flash me the code it just remained lit, I might be doing it incorrectly but not quite sure. Hopefully this gives you all some more info and as I said earlier I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Sounds like you have "torque bind" starting. A good course of fresh ATF can go a long way to alleviating that problem. However, get the code first before going nuts and shot-gunning parts/solutions (although fresh ATF on an unknown car is usually not a bad idea anyway).

The P0400 is usually caused by rotten vac lines from the throttle body to the "EGR Transducer" (the round disc thing, green label, on the driver's side intake manifold), the transducer itself has a tear in the diaphragm, or the tiny, metal tubes running under the throttle cable get clogged/pinched with corrosion and block airflow. Fairly common on the older EJ25D motors.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
I remember a guy that bought a 98 outback a while ago on here from a senior citizen. (not much good maint, but rust free).

made some minor growling noises on slow figure 8s. a couple flushes of new ATF, and new front and rear diff lube stopped the noises.
I suspect what was in there was really old and not enough volume anymore producing the noises, and just the beginning of a torque bind situation.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
The transmission and controller cannot detect torque bind, the only thing it can detect regarding the AWD is a short or open to/in the transfer duty solenoid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts