Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a subaru liberty 2010 2.5 auto (from my understanding the australian version of the legacy) at about 180,000km's.

Upon driving a week ago for about 15 minutes through light traffic my at oil temp (flashing), VCD, and what looks like the hand brake light but with a line through it all came on at once... photo attached for reference - at this point i was parked with the hand brake on.

Pulled up the bonnet expecting something obvious to have happened but nothing discernable, and honestly no idea what i would be looking for anyway.

Turned the car off for 5-10 minutes and turned it back on to find no lights on.

Drove again the next morning straight to my usual mechanic and he indicated a whole heap of codes came up for things likely not related so cleared them & recommended for me to continue to drive until the lights come back on as the car was driving normally.

4-5 days since and the lights have come back on exactly the same and managed to take it straight to the mechanics whilst the lights were still on, this time showing codes related to the transmission.

Unfortunately they don't do transmission work & was told to see an auto electrician but had to look around until i found someone who specialized in auto transmissions.

They scanned for codes and basically had the same reaction as my initial mechanic - a heap of random codes.

They took it for a drive and noticed a little lack of initial acceleration when presding the pedal but apart from that driving normally.

On visual inspection they noted my battery was essentially only half the size i should have in the car and thought this might be causing the computer to spit out random codes.. i had this replaced around a year ago. But apart from that reccomended for me to see yet another mechanic.

I have noted the last couple of days on occasion when I'm slowing to a stop a shudder / vibration in the car and sometimes also when accelerating, and almost feels like an intial struggle to accelerate but after a moment drives normally. This was more noticeable today and seems to be increasing in frequency.

From my research through threads here it seems that the CVT transmission has known issues and with the GEN5 legacies causing a similar issue.

At this point should I replace the battery with something more sufficient before investigating the likely transmission issue further?

Would anyone have any advice on what my next step should be? & am I even thinking the right direction with the CVT transmission?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, apologies for the essay!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,912 Posts
There are not any "random codes". I'm betting there were "Circuit" codes and they didn't know what to check. Maybe the second shop just happened to look at the battery, maybe he checked it because of the codes.

Battery and grounding is important on these cars.

The behavior you describe is indicative of a bad TCC solenoid on the valve body. 95% of the time replacing the valve body fixes the problem. You still need a good battery and the grounding checked/repaired.

Don't know what the warranty is in OZ, but here in the States the CVT and associated components is covered to 100k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the super quick reply @cardoc

With the second shop he noticed the battery before scanning so I didn't think it was related but I appreciate the advice and will look get a new battery and have someone check that out too.

It does seem like the TCC based off what I've read and appreciate you moreso confirming my thoughts.

I can't seem to find anything about the extended warranties in Australia which is a shame but I'll contact Subaru in the morning to discuss further.

I'd imagine I'm not covered and will likely fork out $2,000 or more for the valve body replacement which should be fun for the wallet haha.

·
Premium Member
15,912 Posts
It's not a difficult chore.

Drain the fluid, drop the pan, remove the screen, unplug, remove some screws and take the VB down, replace, fill, reprogram.

If you have tools and want to tackle it I'll put up the exact process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to leave this one for the professionals, don't have the tools or confidence but thank you nonetheless.

Turns out my brake lights are both out too which I'd imagine was one of the codes picked up by the scanners.

Will update this thread once I've solved the lights for anyone else having future issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So at this stage have had a new battery & brake lights installed.

I know they would not be related but my acceleration issues seem to have disappeared - what's the chances a bad batch of petrol may have caused this?

Going to keep driving until I notice these issues start again & head into mechanics from there.

Hoping the warning lights were only related to my brake lights but will update as I find more.

·
Premium Member
15,912 Posts
It was more likely related to the battery.

The battery acts as an electrical supply for the car as well as a filter for communications. It's not like the old school cars with a carb or throttle body that did not draw a lot of electricity to operate. The alternator could supply sufficient current for the ignition and accessories. A weak battery and grounds on cars with several computers and a lot of electrical load will lower the amount of electricity available to the various systems on the car and also affect alternator function. Low or slow electrical flow means things don't work properly. Like your laptop or phone on a low charge, things can't work as fast as they should and it creates problems.

Did you check the grounds?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts