Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 4 cylinder 251k miles. Subaru replaced the cvt valve body a few years ago. I was pulling a trailer today, and on the return trip from where I was going, the at temp light started flashing. There was no noticeable difference in performance. At that point I pulled over to let the transmission cool off and found out that I could not shift from drive to reverse. I could shift from drive to neutral and then it feels like I hit a brick wall. It will not even come close to going into reverse or Park. At that point I drove about 30 more miles home with no problems but I still cannot get the car in park and the key is stuck in it. When I was almost home I also noticed that my turn signals were not working. I'm pretty sure these did not go out at the same time as the transmission light came on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,191 Posts
I also noticed that my turn signals were not working.
Check fuse #20 (15 Amps) "Turn and hazard warning flasher (body control unit)" in the engine compartment fuse box. (Page 12-9 in your Owners Manual.) It also powers the Shift Lock control, which is what allows/prevents the gear selector from moving between N and R.

Also, see pages 7-20 and 7-21 in regard to releasing the Shift Lock when it doesn't function normally.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
119 Posts
Might want to check the trailer lights / wiring. There may be a problem there that caused the hazard fuse to blow. (I've got one of 3 trailers that is causing a couple fuses to blow every time I plug it in on my truck. Lucky that the trailer lights have dedicated fuses in the GMC. Time to rewire a trailer?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might want to check the trailer lights / wiring. There may be a problem there that caused the hazard fuse to blow. (I've got one of 3 trailers that is causing a couple fuses to blow every time I plug it in on my truck. Lucky that the trailer lights have dedicated fuses in the GMC. Time to rewire a trailer?)
Yeah, I haven't plugged it back in since.

·
Registered
18,191 Posts
Yeah, I haven't plugged it back in since.
Are you using a trailer wiring adapter?

If the connector going to the trailer is hard-wired into the Outback's lighting circuits, then a short in the trailer could blow a fuse, as in this case, the turn signal etc., fuse. However, Subaru provides a trailer wiring connector in the cargo area, and when fitted with a trailer wiring adapter (as is recommended), faults in the trailer wiring will cause a separate, trailer adapter fuse to blow, but not disable any of the car's circuits.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,658 Posts
This is great everyday info that we all should know...thanks for this. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts