Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last drive North to Portland the flashing AT light came on and the diagnosis was duty solenoid. That was replaced. Within a day the CEL came on and code was O2 sensor bank 1 so sensor was replaced. CEL returned while driving home, same sensor. I am glad I just got it smogged and put the new tags on but I'm curious about what to do since my mechanic is up there and I'm here. Seems like many similar posts are on here but few folks come back to post what solved it. Drive wise I only noticed a shimmy in the downshift prior to AT and slightly better gas mileage prior to CEL. I've got two years to figure it out I guess. Other random stuff was AC quit blowing after CEL on drive South but worked fine next morning and now. Weather was extreme, cold and really wet then very hot and dry.

Shout out to the very nice new NAPA store in Medford and their staff!

·
Registered
213 Posts
You have an intermittent fault. The CEL will reset if you go through a "drive cycle" without a fault present. The drive cycle is different for every car model and is fairly complicated--you can't just drive around town to reset. And every time you force a reset with an OBD-II scanner, the system will show "not ready" until you go through a drive cycle. So you can't go through a smog check after a reset.

Intermittent faults are common on 20+ year old cars. Good luck tracking yours down.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response, I was feeling like I was talking to myself! The CEL is still off but I'm not driving it right now. Since it went on during heavy rainfall I think the wire to the O2 sensor needs to be checked for nicks or cracks. Yes it is an old car! I had hoped to retire it to just getting groceries, but life doesn't always follow the plan. The AC continues to work and no trouble with the AT either.

·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
After my last drive North to Portland the flashing AT light came on and the diagnosis was duty solenoid. That was replaced. Within a day the CEL came on and code was O2 sensor bank 1 so sensor was replaced. CEL returned while driving home, same sensor. I am glad I just got it smogged and put the new tags on but I'm curious about what to do since my mechanic is up there and I'm here. Seems like many similar posts are on here but few folks come back to post what solved it. Drive wise I only noticed a shimmy in the downshift prior to AT and slightly better gas mileage prior to CEL. I've got two years to figure it out I guess. Other random stuff was AC quit blowing after CEL on drive South but worked fine next morning and now. Weather was extreme, cold and really wet then very hot and dry.

Shout out to the very nice new NAPA store in Medford and their staff!

parts stores can't read codes in California, = state won't let them. (the parts stores kind of do it as a means to sell parts,...and incorrect diagnosis do happen,

I read my own with a $15 dongle and $5 torque pro on my $30 android phone.
(apple people have their own odbc 2 reader programs too).

the dongle I have is a low energy blue tooth made by Veepeek that I got on Amazon. (I also have a older one from Veepeek,...I just leave them in the tray in front of the shifter,...its a gift if I remember to pull them out of the dash plug at my left knee, when I am done so as to not drain the battery,...as that port remains live key or no key)

____

subarus of this type only have bank 1 in the codes. one front o2 sensor and one rear o2 sensor.

the one in the front is the one that can make trouble enough to cause a misfire = flashing check engine.

rear one just makes for a p0420.

both should be Denso. which mirrors the subaru OEM nicely. (and maybe the OEM maker today). other brands could cause less mpg,...as the ECU has trouble chewing on the data given

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was fortunate to be in Oregon at the time and Rick at Superior Subie helped by replacing the sensor. I'll have to check with him about the brand. The CEL has remained off. I'll be driving it to Santa Cruz soon, then back to Portland. A dongle for my android would be handy. There's bound to be another rain storm in my path.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts