Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace ATF cooling Hose "A". Its one of the short formed hoses off the transmission to the pipe.

When you remove the hose does a lot of fluid come out? I was wondering if I should plan on draining the transmission pan and refill.

I'm at 86K miles and I the drain/fill every 30k. Maybe just easier to do the drain now.

·
Registered
16,999 Posts
When you remove the hose does a lot of fluid come out?
The FSM instructions for changing the ATF cooler pipe and hose doesn't specifically mention draining the ATF beforehand -- it only refers to refilling as the last step, which I presume means "topping up" to replace the lost fluid.

The pan is lower than the hoses, so once the engine is stopped, whatever will drain down internally will have done so. Emptying the pan isn't going to cause more drainage from the cooling pipes. But I would expect some spillage from the hoses -- there will be ATF in the lines and the cooler up front, and there might be some residual ATF inside the tranny above the fittings that normally remains there even when the pan is drained, but will come down when the hose is removed.

If you're almost due for a drain and fill, might as well do it now.

Incidentally, those hoses are the subject of a TSB which suggests to me there has been a good number of them showing signs of leakage. If you're changing one, perhaps consider doing both at the same time. Both hoses on my 07 were changed just near the end of the power train warranty.

Let us know how it works out so we'll have a definitive answer for other . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Removal and replacement was a piece of cake. Almost no loss of fluid.

Only problem I had was the the wrong hose was in one of the bags. Took two calls and a second trip to the dealer to get the correct hose. 5 min job turned into an hour and half.

·
Registered
16,999 Posts
It happens, but it's good to know that the hoses can be changed without much loss of fluid. Just be sure that the right hoses are in the bags!

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
06 Outback Sport Impreza 2.5sohc
15 Posts
06 outback sport.cooling line routing

Replacing my radiator and forgot which line from the tranny goes to which fitting on the radiator. lines come down the fender well, one closer to drivers compartment,the other toward the front of car.dose it matter ,or can they be connected to eather one of the tranny lines.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replacing my radiator and forgot which line from the tranny goes to which fitting on the radiator. lines come down the fender well, one closer to drivers compartment,the other toward the front of car.dose it matter ,or can they be connected to eather one of the tranny lines.

Don't feel bad, when I replaced mine, I had removed both at once to try and match the hoses. While back at the dealer he had the same model/year car up on the lift , we matched the correct replacements and I took a few photos. If you haven't sorted it out, I'll try and photo graph tonight.

·
Registered
06 Outback Sport Impreza 2.5sohc
15 Posts
Thanks that would be great joe, I seen a vage diagram on the internet that showed the short hose goes to the front hard line & the long hose goes to the rear hardline.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have to raplace the atf coolant hoses in my outback 2006 2.5. Do somebody know if I have to replace also the clamps (are they in the hoses kit) or am I supposed to use the old ones? Any other advice from someone who did it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Cardoc for the information, I am waiting for the new hoses (which are coming from Japan). In the meanwhile I am “studying” the project and organizig the ideas about how I have to proceed.
1 For example I am thinking about how to clean the old hoses before to remove them, since I suppose that it should be better that no “dirt” goes inside the ATF. (Now the old hoses are completely coated by a mixture of ATF and dirt).
2 Then I am wondering if a can do it completely from above or if I have to jack up Norma (my outback’s name) to do a part of the job from below.
(I want to apologize for my English, since probably sometimes I write with sentences/words which don’t really belong to English. Sorry for that, I think In Italian and then I translate, but this doesn’t work perfectly).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts