Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 outback limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
recently bought a 2008 OB, 2.5Limited. Ive began doing various maintenance on the car as i dont know the previous maintenance schedule.

Changed the ATF last night myself (planning on draining it over the next 3 engine oil changes). I drained a little over 4L (1.25Gal), the engine was still warm(ish) been sitting for about 20 min.

Refilled about the same amount as i drained, however, when warm shows that im somewhat over the second (HOT reading) mark. So essentially its a little overfilled.

How's this possible? Was the spent ATF expanded due to higher temp than new ATF?

Thanks

·
Registered
05 Outback, 15 WRX
46 Posts
Warm from just idling? You have to go through the gears (quick drive around town) to get the proper reading and check while car is on. It's a little tricky.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I agree with @smart_alex

The TC and valve body will drain-down a bit when the level drops below the intake screen. They also won't refill until you work through all the gears and work the AWD a bit.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Also, Subaru ATF dipsticks are terrible and will drive you crazy trying to get a good, repeatable reading.

Reactions: Bgilly

·
Registered
2009 outback limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sooo what you're saying is wait a bit and check again? and to answer the previous question, yes it was just idling. Re-Reading the FSM i do remember thinking i should have gone through all the gears etc.

Trying to completely drain the ATF over multiple oil changes, after how many do people stop? 2-3? until oil runs clear (red)?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
3-4 drain and fills will have about 90%+ fresh fluid, which is close enough for most of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts