Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2010 3.6 LTD
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 OB and a Yakima 16 Sky Box. Occasionally at speeds from 30-60 mph the box/rack vibrates like crazy and sounds like a swarm of bees is in the box. Or maybe just one big bee the size of a great dane....

Either way has anyone else experienced this or have ideas for a fix?

It does not matter if the box is empty or full of gear. I called Yakima and they gave me a fix to try related to isolating the rails of the sky box which I will try tonight however my local Rack Attack suspects the problem may be the Subaru Rack itself.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6
5 Posts
Thanks Measly!

I'll report back with which fix does the trick for my issue.
I finally figured out what the problem is! :D Its the front edge of the roof rail gasket that is vibrating in the wind. . . . Looks like all it needs is a tighter fitting gasket, or even just some silicone squirted in there. What a relief!! No more angry bumble bee!
So, I too have the Yakima Skybox 16 and with it, the attack of the Killer Bees that started at 40 mph at initial install. The noise now starts at 65-70 after I moved the box as far back as possible while still being able to open the hatch and not hit the box.

Question (A) Does this poster's solution (a tighter gasket/silicone) work to stop the noise?

I've called two Subie dealers and they don't have a clue to what this post refers. Yakima's solution was to duct tape the rubber water seal between the box and the clamp as this might be vibrating. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Question (B) Does anyone else have this problem or is it just people with sunroofs?

·
Registered
22 Posts
A) Well, it worked for me :) And based on the description of "Killer Bees", I can almost guarantee you've got the same problem I had. The dealer had it for a few hours, but all they ended up doing was squirting some silicone in there.

As a test, try putting a strip of duct tape along the front seam of the roof rails. Here are some pics of where I'm talking about.

outback - Windows Live

B) No, its not just people with sunroofs. When I was trying to track this problem down, I took my outback in to a local dealer. (Bruce Titus Eastside Subaru - WORST DEALERSHIP EVER by the way) They immediately blamed yakima, so I convinced them (and it took some convincing) to try out a Subaru box. Same problem. Then they blamed the sunroof, so we put the box on an outback from their lot without a sunroof (again, very begrudgingly). The buzz was a little quieter, but it was still very noticeable.

It was at that point that they decided they didn't want to play with me anymore...

So I took it back to Chaplin's, which is where I bought my outback. I honestly can't say enough about them. They listened to my concerns, and didn't try to point the finger at someone/something else. The tech even came out with me so that I could demo the problem for him. It took all of about 5 minutes for him to zero in on the issue. A couple hours later, my outback was silent as a church mouse again, yakima box and all.

·
Registered
2011 Graphite Gray 3.6 R Limited
46 Posts
look under this link as other members including myself have similar experiences

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/29695-bee-my-2010-outbacks-bonnet.html

In my situation, the buzzing occurs with my roof basket attached. This seems to occurs more frequently when the weather warmup and allow the front rail gasket to vibrate in the wind. My dealer after initially denying the problem did a test drive with me and confirmed this problem. They ordered and replaced the rail + gasket. In addition, they siliconed the gasket. So far so good, but the weather have not warm up enough in my area for me to declare that the problem is completely fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
Outback 2012 Premium 2.5i
70 Posts
Wow, perfect description!

Thought I would bring this thread back to life, as I found it while googling this problem! I have an Outback 2012, and I drove down to Santa Barbara to pick up my kid from college. Sure enough, the vibration coming from the passenger side starting at about 45 mph sounded like killer bees! A real headache producer for 350 miles. Drove me crazy. So, I thought it was the box, and bought some velcro dots to paste to various parts of the box I thought were causing the problem. Didn't help at all! So, I went to google, and found this thread! The photo described in the thread no longer exists, but the description is correct. Basically there is a rubber gasket between the rail and the metal roof of the car. On the passenger side it must be just a touch loose, and at speed for some reason the wind is diverted to it with the box in place and the cross bars out. Really awful. I had some clear packing tape with me from moving the kid from college, and put about a foot of tape on the leading edge of the gasket around it on either side just a bit. Voila, nice and quiet in the car at 70 mph with the box on the top. Thank god it wasn't the box. Now to figure out a fix. The car is still under warranty, so I will probably just call the dealer. In any event, that is the problem. It is the rail gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thought I would bring this thread back to life, as I found it while googling this problem! I have an Outback 2012, and I drove down to Santa Barbara to pick up my kid from college. Sure enough, the vibration coming from the passenger side starting at about 45 mph sounded like killer bees! A real headache producer for 350 miles. Drove me crazy. So, I thought it was the box, and bought some velcro dots to paste to various parts of the box I thought were causing the problem. Didn't help at all! So, I went to google, and found this thread! The photo described in the thread no longer exists, but the description is correct. Basically there is a rubber gasket between the rail and the metal roof of the car. On the passenger side it must be just a touch loose, and at speed for some reason the wind is diverted to it with the box in place and the cross bars out. Really awful. I had some clear packing tape with me from moving the kid from college, and put about a foot of tape on the leading edge of the gasket around it on either side just a bit. Voila, nice and quiet in the car at 70 mph with the box on the top. Thank god it wasn't the box. Now to figure out a fix. The car is still under warranty, so I will probably just call the dealer. In any event, that is the problem. It is the rail gasket.

Black gasket sealer just a drop or two on the rubber pad to keep it from vibrating in the wind. Should fix your issue. Give it overnight to cure and don't go crazy you'll only need a drop or two. I would do it on both sides

·
Registered
70 Posts
dndrich - thanks for bringing this thread back to life, I'm having the exact same problem which I had posted about a few weeks: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/68786-attack-killer-bees-part-2-a.html

Anyways, I'd be very interested in what solution your dealer finds. Mine told me there is nothing they could do. That isn't a solution I can accept as regular road trips with this sound (see below) are driving me nuts......
OK, that is a perfect video. That is the problem. Definitely solvable. See the post after yours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Black gasket sealer just a drop or two on the rubber pad to keep it from vibrating in the wind. Should fix your issue. Give it overnight to cure and don't go crazy you'll only need a drop or two. I would do it on both sides
Interesting! OK, I will try this. Now, lemme make sure I have this right. The gasket is the about 3/8 inch rubber strip that goes all the way around the base of the rail system between the bottom of the rail and the metal of the car. Must be like 8 feet of it. But, the problem appears to be only in the front leading edge. So, where do I put the gasket sealer? Between the rail and the rubber? Or, between the rubber and the metal of the car? Just want to make sure I do this right.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just press down on the front edge and shot a pea size blob of automotive gasket sealer in like two spots etc. All your trying to do is keep it from flapping in the breeze.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just press down on the front edge and shot a pea size blob of automotive gasket sealer in like two spots etc. All your trying to do is keep it from flapping in the breeze.
I hate to be dense, but front edge of what? The gasket really looks pretty tight. So, I push down on the gasket and shoot some of the stuff in from above? Wish I had the car here so I could provide a photo, but my wife has it at work right now!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have the same car though mine is quiet. Either the rubber gasket is flapping or the plastic cap over the roof channel is vibrating or both. A small pea sized blob of gasket sealer in the gap between the rubber pad and the black plastic channel cover is probably what you need. Again keep it to a pea size just big enough that the sealer creates a small filled spot to prevent vibration between the two parts.

If we are talking old gen this issue would be the rubber gasket around the edge of the windshield when they get old and stiff or a glass shop replaces the windshield and failed to get enough spoodge behind the rubber gasket it would flap in the breeze sounding like an entire beehive not just one bee. Same fix - little shot of gasket sealer under the gasket to prevent it from vibrating fixes the problem. All your trying to do is prevent the part or two parts from vibrating in the wind with a simple little blob of rubber sealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same car though mine is quiet. Either the rubber gasket is flapping or the plastic cap over the roof channel is vibrating or both. A small pea sized blob of gasket sealer in the gap between the rubber pad and the black plastic channel cover is probably what you need. Again keep it to a pea size just big enough that the sealer creates a small filled spot to prevent vibration between the two parts.
Gotcha. That should work well. Just stopping it with some packing tape did the job easily. So, I will go out and get some gasket sealer today and try it out! Great suggestion. I have to believe this will work just fine. Now if I could just get my hearing back...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Gotcha. That should work well. Just stopping it with some packing tape did the job easily. So, I will go out and get some gasket sealer today and try it out! Great suggestion. I have to believe this will work just fine. Now if I could just get my hearing back...
No doubt its louder than heck when this happens. Just remember not to go nutz with the sealer just a little blob or two your not sealing with it your just creating one or two points of contact between the two parts the rubber pad and the roof channel which when cured will keep the pad or narrow plastic track cover from vibrating in the wind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No doubt its louder than heck when this happens. Just remember not to go nutz with the sealer just a little blob or two your not sealing with it your just creating one or two points of contact between the two parts the rubber pad and the roof channel which when cured will keep the pad or narrow plastic track cover from vibrating in the wind.
Yup. No doubt that is the goal, and I think a little dab oughta do it!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
Just had the buzz problem on a road trip with a Thule box. I looked it up on the forum and fixed it with tape at the next rest stop. My wife and I were impressed with the usefulness of the forum!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just had the buzz problem on a road trip with a Thule box. I looked it up on the forum and fixed it with tape at the next rest stop. My wife and I were impressed with the usefulness of the forum!
I know! I figured it out on my trip using a smartphone and Google. Brought me right here where I am already a member. Tape did the trick. Just bought the gasket seal. I'll do that this weekend.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts