Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
66 Posts
Are you using stock rails or after market rails? My round bar yakima bars did this when an end cap went missing.
Thanks for the input!
I have the standard round Yakima bars mounted with Control Towers and Landing pads. All the end caps are still in place but I'll double check to make sure they're tight.

It's the weirdest thing because I've had a rack up there for a year and then one day the noise started and hasn't stopped. I've gone over all the components and nothing has moved or loosened, which leads me to wonder if it has something to do with the car itself.

If patching the hole at the front of the factory rail base / housing doesn't solve the problem, then the only thing I can think to do is set up a trial and error test, where I remove one bike tray at a time to see if that makes a difference...

I welcome any other suggestions you might have!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks for the input!
I have the standard round Yakima bars mounted with Control Towers and Landing pads. All the end caps are still in place but I'll double check to make sure they're tight.

It's the weirdest thing because I've had a rack up there for a year and then one day the noise started and hasn't stopped. I've gone over all the components and nothing has moved or loosened, which leads me to wonder if it has something to do with the car itself.

If patching the hole at the front of the factory rail base / housing doesn't solve the problem, then the only thing I can think to do is set up a trial and error test, where I remove one bike tray at a time to see if that makes a difference...

I welcome any other suggestions you might have!
The hole is not the cause. The rubber pad between the roof and the plastic rails can vibrate in spots. A small bead of black automotive gasket sealer between the plastic rack and loose rubber gasket will prevent it from vibrating / flapping in the wind. Plugging the hole simply changed the air flow anf the rubber gasket stopped vibrating. Do not silicone the gasket to the car this will cause rust to form on the metal roof skin due to the acidic property of the silicone. Only use automotive gasket sealer between the rack rail and rubber pad/ gasket.

·
Registered
'14 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
66 Posts
The hole is not the cause. The rubber pad between the roof and the plastic rails can vibrate in spots. A small bead of black automotive gasket sealer between the plastic rack and loose rubber gasket will prevent it from vibrating / flapping in the wind. Plugging the hole simply changed the air flow anf the rubber gasket stopped vibrating. Do not silicone the gasket to the car this will cause rust to form on the metal roof skin due to the acidic property of the silicone. Only use automotive gasket sealer between the rack rail and rubber pad/ gasket.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1 Posts
finding a fix for the 2015 OUtback and carrier BUZZ

Curiously, I just spoke with the Yakima dealer who said that it wasn't the Yakima carrier that is the source of the buzz, rather that the 2014-15 Subaru Outbacks have the movable rack arms on the roof, and that the buzz is coming from those or the housing springs on the main rails when the cross rails are snapped in place to support the carrier. She mentioned that REI sells rack units that can be mounted on the main rails that will support their carrier bars and will completely eliminate the buzz. I did not have success with the measures recommended above on my 2015 Outback. Didn't do a thing for the buzz.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Curiously, I just spoke with the Yakima dealer who said that it wasn't the Yakima carrier that is the source of the buzz, rather that the 2014-15 Subaru Outbacks have the movable rack arms on the roof, and that the buzz is coming from those or the housing springs on the main rails when the cross rails are snapped in place to support the carrier. She mentioned that REI sells rack units that can be mounted on the main rails that will support their carrier bars and will completely eliminate the buzz. I did not have success with the measures recommended above on my 2015 Outback. Didn't do a thing for the buzz.
The buzz was caused by the rubber pad between the roof and the plastic rails the leading edge of the rail does not sit perfectly flush against the roof of the car and the rubber gaskets flaps in the wind, when adding roof gear the wind angles change and bingo flapping rubber gasket vibrating against the roof of the car which is very very loud! The fix is to prevent the gasket from flapping in the wind by simply putting a pea sized blob of silicone between the rubber pad and the plastic rack. This holds the rubber pad/gasket from vibrating against the cars roof. Has nothing to do with the cross bars or after market parts and everything to do with the rubber pad under the plastic sock side rails having enough wiggle room to flap in the wind against the roof of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The YouTube is not working, and no photos on this thread for the gasket and where to apply the sealer. Can someone please upload a photo showing where to apply it? Is it right here where the windshield meets the roof (I assume that black thing is the gasket) since this is where the wind might catch it?

Or is it a bit further back since it is closer to the hole (where presumably the air comes in causing the problematic airflow) as in the photo 2 below?

Or somehwere else, like the gasket around the moonroof?

·
Registered
Outback 2012 Premium 2.5i
70 Posts
The YouTube is not working, and no photos on this thread for the gasket and where to apply the sealer. Can someone please upload a photo showing where to apply it? Is it right here where the windshield meets the roof (I assume that black thing is the gasket) since this is where the wind might catch it?
View attachment 479399
Or is it a bit further back since it is closer to the hole (where presumably the air comes in causing the problematic airflow) as in the photo 2 below?
View attachment 479400
Or somehwere else, like the gasket around the moonroof?
I haven't re-read the thread here, but the solution I use is much simpler. Normally the crossbars are aligned along the long axis of the car when not in use, so there is no sound. When I put on the sky box, it is the passenger side that has the "killer bees". This is because the opening left in front of the now cross bar allows air to funnel into the potential space, and rattle the rubber housing. So, simply putting literally anything in that round space to disrupt the air flow stops the sound totally. So, I keep some round foam pipe housing in my glove box, and when I put the box on the roof I simply put the little piece of round foam into the round hole, and total silence is the result. Takes like 5 seconds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is where the Subaru tech applied black silicone on my outback. Sounds like dndrich’s solution might work too, but I prefer the permanent solution that I never have to think about again. Someone mentioned something about not applying silicone between the rubber gasket and the paint because it might cause rust. Well that is exactly where it was applied many years ago on my outback and I haven’t had any rust problems. Just lift the gasket a little, squirt a small bead of automotive silicone under it, let the gasket down and wipe away any visible silicone. Takes like 5 minutes and you never have to think about this problem again. If you want to test the solution before applying silicone, use a small strip of painters tape to verify where The silicone should go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This worked for me. Took a minute to apply and easy to remove after I take down the Skybox after the trip and put crossbars back in the aerodynamic position:

·
Registered
188 Posts
You know those pieces of foam pipe insulation you find at Home Depot? They’re like a couple bucks each. We snipped a few inches off and it pushes perfectly into that hole to eliminate the buzz. Easy to remove/replace and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outback 2012 Premium 2.5i
70 Posts
You know those pieces of foam pipe insulation you find at Home Depot? They’re like a couple bucks each. We snipped a few inches off and it pushes perfectly into that hole to eliminate the buzz. Easy to remove/replace and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly what I use. I leave my pieces in the center console, and put in place when using the skybox.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,157 Posts
At least you only have killer bees. In Australia we have killer wasps, but you must drive a Toyota to be inflicted by them.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts