Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an Onyx XT 2 days ago. Love the car so far but I'm getting an audible warning through the speakers if the car thinks I'm going over the speed limit. I cant seem to find any information in the manual or online on what setting may be sending out the alert. Looked in the car, Starlink and EyeSight manuals with no luck though I'm sure it's possible I missed something. So far it's happened on only two streets. One was 40 mph and I was doing 42. I got a warning that I was driving over the speed limit and that the limit was 40 mph. The second time I got a warning was on a 50 mph limit road (passed the sign as soon as I turned onto the street) and I got another warning stating I was over the limit and the speed limit was 35. Even though it was in fact 50 and i was only driving 45. I've tested it on other roads and get no warnings. I'm not 100% sure if it's the car or my phone but I don't have navigation so I don't know where it's getting the speed limit information from or what setting controls it. I don't believe it's my phone as I've never had this happen in another vehicle.

I did sign up for Starlink for the first time and I haven't been able to get the app in the car to connect to my phone even though I have the phone paired and use Bluetooth to listen to music and for CarPlay. Is there some setting in the Starlink app that may be causing the alert? From what I read I only saw a Parental Control setting that sends an alert to your phone that says the car exceed a certain limit, but nothing about an in car alert.

Anyone know if this is a new feature on the 2020 Subaru's and how I can turn this off? Especially if the speed limit isn't accurate and it's going to be constantly telling me I'm driving too fast every 15 seconds or so. Even if I am driving under the speed limit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There is no audio speed limit warning. I suspect you are getting a different warning that you are incorrectly assuming is speed related. Whenever you get an audio warning you will also see what the warning is actually for on the instrument cluster screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The warning is definitely for speed limit. I can't remember it well enough to quote it but it states I'm over the speed limit and then what the speed limit is. I can't imagine what else it would be for. I did make it a point to look on the instrument cluster and the infotainment screen to see if there was an icon or message and didn't see anything. If there's no audible warning being sent from the car then it has to be my phone. Though I'm not sure why as I used the same phone in my Impreza that I traded in and never got any driving warnings through the speakers. The only audio I've ever gotten is directions when using maps on my phone for navigation while connected via Bluetooth. I drove the same two streets twice and so far those are the only streets I've gotten the warning on. I'll try shutting Bluetooth off and drive the same streets to see if that's the case.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If it is an actual verbal warning then it absolutely is not from the Subaru but your phone. The car gives NO verbal warnings of any kind.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
23 Posts
What nav app are you using? I’m no expert, I just know some apps have audio speed limit warnings that annoyingly blare through the cars audio system. These can usually be disabled in the app‘s settings menu.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure what app you are using on your phone but both Apple Maps and Google maps have recently had major updates although I’ve never had a verbal speed limit warning in Apple Maps.

Waze I think has an option for max speed limit warnings.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
1,354 Posts
I have seen nothing in the 2020 Outback that does anything like this.

Also, maybe not important here but the dealer that taught me a lot about the screen - said the Starlink app will be going away soon in the car and the My Subaru app will take over the features.
Dont know if that means the phone app too but...

Edit: are you in America? I know some foreign market cars that do this.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Googling more I pretty much certain he is running Waze (either in CarPlay mode or as a background app) on his phone. you can google up how to turn off the warnings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just went out for a test drive and got the same warning on the same road. I shut Bluetooth off as soon as the message started and it continued through my phone speakers once disconnected from the car. So it's definitely the phone. I only use the standard Maps app on the iphone for navigation but I only tested it out once the first day just to see CarPlay. Since then it's only been connected via Bluetooth for music. I don't have Waze or any other navigation app installed. Now that I know it's the phone I'm sure I can figure it out. Just seems odd it only started when I got this car. Maybe there was an ios update last week? I'll update when I figure it out.

Thanks for the help excluding the car as the culprit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you using Waze?
The only navigation app I have is the pre-installed Apple Maps which I've been using for years. I used it a couple of days before I traded in my 2015 Impreza and never got any speed limit warnings. I can't seem to find any settings for Maps that look like they would monitor speed. I went through and double checked all of my apps. I've never used Waze. But I wasn't using navigation (Maps) nor did I have the phone connected via USB for CarPlay to be active any of the times I've gotten the warning either. And the map is only permitted to use location when it's in use. I'm still at a bit of a loss as to whats sending the warning and why it's only on specific roads.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
122 Posts
Do you have the MySubaru app on your phone, and if so, has a speed limit alert been set? Check under Driver Alert Settings > Speed Alerts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have the MySubaru app on your phone, and if so, has a speed limit alert been set? Check under Driver Alert Settings > Speed Alerts
I do. The only option I have is to create an alert. I just installed the MySubaru app Friday when I got the car and have only used it to test out remote start. It seems like that just sets a maximum speed limit and sends an email or text to your phone if it's exceeded for a certain amount of time. More of a parental control tool.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,218 Posts
@jaslow - is it possible you signed up for, and downloaded one of those insurance apps for StateFarm or AllState to get a reduction on your policy?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@jaslow - is it possible you signed up for, and downloaded one of those insurance apps for StateFarm or AllState to get a reduction on your policy?
Unfortunately not. I haven’t installed any new apps except Starlink and MySubaru. I did try closing apps on my way into work this morning as the warning was going off. Apple Maps made no difference But when I closed Starlink on my phone I thought it stopped the warning. after that I opened the Starlink app on the infotainment screen and the warnings kept going. So I’m thinking it’s something with Starlink but I’m still not sure. I didn’t have time to get into the settings to look around. That’s the first time the app has successfully opened for me in the car so I’m not sure if I stopped it when I closed the app on my phone and then started it back up when I opened the app in the car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great catch. I see that if you subscribe to security plus (which also gives remote start and other features) that speed limit alert is an option. Not subscribing to that I never saw that option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up an Onyx XT 2 days ago. Love the car so far but I'm getting an audible warning through the speakers if the car thinks I'm going over the speed limit. I cant seem to find any information in the manual or online on what setting may be sending out the alert. Looked in the car, Starlink and EyeSight manuals with no luck though I'm sure it's possible I missed something. So far it's happened on only two streets. One was 40 mph and I was doing 42. I got a warning that I was driving over the speed limit and that the limit was 40 mph. The second time I got a warning was on a 50 mph limit road (passed the sign as soon as I turned onto the street) and I got another warning stating I was over the limit and the speed limit was 35. Even though it was in fact 50 and i was only driving 45. I've tested it on other roads and get no warnings. I'm not 100% sure if it's the car or my phone but I don't have navigation so I don't know where it's getting the speed limit information from or what setting controls it. I don't believe it's my phone as I've never had this happen in another vehicle.

I did sign up for Starlink for the first time and I haven't been able to get the app in the car to connect to my phone even though I have the phone paired and use Bluetooth to listen to music and for CarPlay. Is there some setting in the Starlink app that may be causing the alert? From what I read I only saw a Parental Control setting that sends an alert to your phone that says the car exceed a certain limit, but nothing about an in car alert.

Anyone know if this is a new feature on the 2020 Subaru's and how I can turn this off? Especially if the speed limit isn't accurate and it's going to be constantly telling me I'm driving too fast every 15 seconds or so. Even if I am driving under the speed limit.
I've been getting the same verbal notification ONLY when my phone is plugged OR connected by bluetooth in to the car. I have been driving my new 2020 outback for a month now and just upgraded to StarLink Security Plus. Ever since I have upgraded two days ago I have been getting the verbal warning. There is nowhere in the MySubaru or StarLink app on my iPhone to adjust this that I have found yet. I have yet been able to load the StarLink app on the screen in my car so, hopefully that's where I will be able turn off that notification. If I proceed to drive above the speed limit for more than 1 minute I get another verbal notification and it will notify me every minute that I am driving above the speed limit. So, obviously I need to figure how to turn it off because I like to have my phone connected when I am driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do. The only option I have is to create an alert. I just installed the MySubaru app Friday when I got the car and have only used it to test out remote start. It seems like that just sets a maximum speed limit and sends an email or text to your phone if it's exceeded for a certain amount of time. More of a parental control tool.
I can confirm that the Speed Alert is like a parental control. There is no option to turn off any speed alerts or even an option to set the alerts to "Notify me when the vehicle exceeds" 0 MPH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been getting the same verbal notification ONLY when my phone is plugged OR connected by bluetooth in to the car. I have been driving my new 2020 outback for a month now and just upgraded to StarLink Security Plus. Ever since I have upgraded two days ago I have been getting the verbal warning. There is nowhere in the MySubaru or StarLink app on my iPhone to adjust this that I have found yet. I have yet been able to load the StarLink app on the screen in my car so, hopefully that's where I will be able turn off that notification. If I proceed to drive above the speed limit for more than 1 minute I get another verbal notification and it will notify me every minute that I am driving above the speed limit. So, obviously I need to figure how to turn it off because I like to have my phone connected when I am driving.
I’ll look through the Starlink app on the infotainment screen when I get out of work in a couple hours. If I find something I’ll let you know. I got no alerts the first day I had the car, got and upgraded Starlink the second day and got the alerts later that day so it seems that may be the cause. Glad you heard it too because with the lack of information I’ve found I was starting to wonder if it was the voices in my head.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can confirm that the Speed Alert is like a parental control. There is no option to turn off any speed alerts or even an option to set the alerts to "Notify me when the vehicle exceeds" 0 MPH.
That’s hard to believe. Can you say exceeds 100MPH or something ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts