Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That’s hard to believe. Can you say exceeds 100MPH or something ridiculous.
What he’s talking about is a parental control through the MySubaru app that sends a text or email when your car goes over a specified speed for a certain amount of time. It’s not the audible warning we’re hearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That’s hard to believe. Can you say exceeds 100MPH or something ridiculous.
The options range from 25-90 mph for setting speed limit alert. But, I think you will receive a different notification through StarLink for that. For the problem that jaslow and I have, I think we would still receive a verbal notification for driving above the mph that is set for every individual road. I know with other vehicle brands the "speed limit exceeded" notification can be turned off or adjusted in the vehicle's navigation system.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The options range from 25-90 mph for setting speed limit alert. But, I think you will receive a different notification through StarLink for that. For the problem that jaslow and I have, I think we would still receive a verbal notification for driving above the mph that is set for every individual road. I know with other vehicle brands the "speed limit exceeded" notification can be turned off or adjusted in the vehicle's navigation system.
This is not coming from the car but the app on the phone, you can’t turn it off in the cars Nav system because the Nav system isn’t generating the warning.

It seems like a bug that the app can’t disable it. I’d talk to your dealer and/or contact Subaru. Also give feed back in the review for the app. I agree that this is more than annoying.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What he’s talking about is a parental control through the MySubaru app that sends a text or email when your car goes over a specified speed for a certain amount of time. It’s not the audible warning we’re hearing.
He is talking about an alert from his phone which one of you, I’m getting confused, verified. It is still possible that the warning he heard is not from the my Subaru app but some other app on his phone.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
123 Posts
Well I thought that the MySubaru app might have been the OP's culprit, so I tested it out. Set alert for 25 mph. The only alert that I received was this, in my email. I have email and push alerts on in the communications settings. Heard nothing in the vehicle.

:

As far a deleting a speed alert, the way to do it is to go to the alert in the app and slide it. You will get choices to deactivate, delete, or edit. Its not intuitive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got into the Starlink app (turns out I don’t have enough cell service at home to open the app) and couldn’t find anything that I thought would be sending out the speed limit alert. I was going to remove the Starlink app from my phone to see if that takes care of it as I’m fairly certain at this point that it’s Starlink causing it. And the only reason I signed up for the security plus was for the remote engine start, which is done through the MySubaru app anyway. But when I opened the app I got a pop up that said the app has used my location 30 times in the past 3 days and asked if I wanted to change the settings. I set it to only use location services while the app is in use. I’ll test it out on my drive into work tomorrow.

I will say that if it is in fact Starlink causing it I’m surprised I haven’t been able to find more information on it. That’s an extremely annoying alert and it only gets the speed limit right about half the time. If I haven’t figured it out by the end of the week I’m going back to the dealership anyway for something they forgot when I picked the car up. I’ll ask about it and see if they know anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You don't need the Starlink Subscription for the remote start?
I’m not sure if this is a question or a statement. As far as I know you do need the subscription if you didn’t get the optional remote start with the car. Which I didn’t as its listed as $450+ for a remote. With Starlink Security Plus it’s $75 for 3 years and I can do the same thing with my phone. As well as setting temps and heated seats. But starting the car happens through the MySubaru app, not the Starlink app. So if the Starlink app is causing it I don’t see a need to keep it in my case. Doesn’t seem like I’d use the Starlink app for much anyway.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
I’m not sure if this is a question or a statement. As far as I know you do need the subscription if you didn’t get the optional remote start with the car. Which I didn’t as its listed as $450+ for a remote. With Starlink Security Plus it’s $75 for 3 years and I can do the same thing with my phone. As well as setting temps and heated seats. But starting the car happens through the MySubaru app, not the Starlink app. So if the Starlink app is causing it I don’t see a need to keep it in my case. Doesn’t seem like I’d use the Starlink app for much anyway.
It was a question, hence the "?". The $350 for 7 years isn't bad either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I confirmed that the Starlink app on my phone was the culprit. Had it closed with no location service access on a road that I’ve been getting warnings on and it was nice and quiet. Opened the app after driving on it for a few mins and immediately got the speed limit alarm. I still see nothing in the app to shut the alert off so I’ve deleted it for now. I’ll ask the dealer if there’s any way to toggle it off when I go back in though.

I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I confirmed that the Starlink app on my phone was the culprit. Had it closed with no location service access on a road that I’ve been getting warnings on and it was nice and quiet. Opened the app after driving on it for a few mins and immediately got the speed limit alarm. I still see nothing in the app to shut the alert off so I’ve deleted it for now. I’ll ask the dealer if there’s any way to toggle it off when I go back in though.

I appreciate all the help.
I think that's exactly what I did. I went to Settings in my iPhone > SUBARU STARLINK> Location> and set it to NEVER allow location access. No verbal warnings this AM. I am wondering why I need the StarLink app as well....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I posted how to delete or disable the alert in post 25 of this topic.
The alert you referenced is different than the one we were getting. What we got was an audio alert from Starlink through the speakers Of the car from the mobile app. The MySubaru alert is a parental control, or something similar. I don’t have an alert in MySubaru set up. All I can do there is create one. The audio alert in Starlink is what I didn’t see a setting for. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up an Onyx XT 2 days ago. Love the car so far but I'm getting an audible warning through the speakers if the car thinks I'm going over the speed limit. I cant seem to find any information in the manual or online on what setting may be sending out the alert. Looked in the car, Starlink and EyeSight manuals with no luck though I'm sure it's possible I missed something. So far it's happened on only two streets. One was 40 mph and I was doing 42. I got a warning that I was driving over the speed limit and that the limit was 40 mph. The second time I got a warning was on a 50 mph limit road (passed the sign as soon as I turned onto the street) and I got another warning stating I was over the limit and the speed limit was 35. Even though it was in fact 50 and i was only driving 45. I've tested it on other roads and get no warnings. I'm not 100% sure if it's the car or my phone but I don't have navigation so I don't know where it's getting the speed limit information from or what setting controls it. I don't believe it's my phone as I've never had this happen in another vehicle.

I did sign up for Starlink for the first time and I haven't been able to get the app in the car to connect to my phone even though I have the phone paired and use Bluetooth to listen to music and for CarPlay. Is there some setting in the Starlink app that may be causing the alert? From what I read I only saw a Parental Control setting that sends an alert to your phone that says the car exceed a certain limit, but nothing about an in car alert.

Anyone know if this is a new feature on the 2020 Subaru's and how I can turn this off? Especially if the speed limit isn't accurate and it's going to be constantly telling me I'm driving too fast every 15 seconds or so. Even if I am driving under the speed limit.
I just picked up an Outback Premium yesterday and HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM. “Speed Limit Exceeded” is the warning that comes over the audio system.
I also have Starlink. Apple Car Play connected/disconnected it still comes on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I just picked up an Outback Premium yesterday and HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM. “Speed Limit Exceeded” is the warning that comes over the audio system.
I also have Starlink. Apple Car Play connected/disconnected it still comes on.
Change the permission for the app on your iPhone so that it only has location services when open or none at all. Settings > Subaru Starlink > Location. It’s sending via Bluetooth from the Starlink app. I don’t think it has anything to do with CarPlay. I have an appointment Monday at the dealership I bought mine from so I’ll ask if there’s a way to turn it off and post the fix, if there is one, here. The Starlink app has impressively low ratings on the App Store though so I’m guessing Subaru just didn’t put much effort into it. I personally deleted the app but I’ll try to find out incase anyone else has the same issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll look through the Starlink app on the infotainment screen when I get out of work in a couple hours. If I find something I’ll let you know. I got no alerts the first day I had the car, got and upgraded Starlink the second day and got the alerts later that day so it seems that may be the cause. Glad you heard it too because with the lack of information I’ve found I was starting to wonder if it was the voices in my head.
So I have been facing the same issue, I tried to override the warning by adding a speed driving alert but that did not do anything. I called customer support, and when I told them about my situation they said they have no clue where it could come from and that I should visit my dealer about it. This started to happen when I updated both the MySubaru and Starlink App, and updated my infotainment system. So it could be possibly an App issue or software issue, because I only use Apple Maps, and in my maps I have it custom to the way I want it. I have been looking up anything about it but nothing, so I hope in time both the developers of the apps and infotainment system catch ear on this and find a solution.

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring XT, crazy Subaru idea of green
49 Posts
Just picked up an Onyx XT 2 days ago. Love the car so far but I'm getting an audible warning through the speakers if the car thinks I'm going over the speed limit. I cant seem to find any information in the manual or online on what setting may be sending out the alert. Looked in the car, Starlink and EyeSight manuals with no luck though I'm sure it's possible I missed something. So far it's happened on only two streets. One was 40 mph and I was doing 42. I got a warning that I was driving over the speed limit and that the limit was 40 mph. The second time I got a warning was on a 50 mph limit road (passed the sign as soon as I turned onto the street) and I got another warning stating I was over the limit and the speed limit was 35. Even though it was in fact 50 and i was only driving 45. I've tested it on other roads and get no warnings. I'm not 100% sure if it's the car or my phone but I don't have navigation so I don't know where it's getting the speed limit information from or what setting controls it. I don't believe it's my phone as I've never had this happen in another vehicle.

I did sign up for Starlink for the first time and I haven't been able to get the app in the car to connect to my phone even though I have the phone paired and use Bluetooth to listen to music and for CarPlay. Is there some setting in the Starlink app that may be causing the alert? From what I read I only saw a Parental Control setting that sends an alert to your phone that says the car exceed a certain limit, but nothing about an in car alert.

Anyone know if this is a new feature on the 2020 Subaru's and how I can turn this off? Especially if the speed limit isn't accurate and it's going to be constantly telling me I'm driving too fast every 15 seconds or so. Even if I am driving under the speed limit.
Mayhaps it's a very small back seat driver hiding inside one of your speakers?

·
Registered
214 Posts
So I have been facing the same issue, I tried to override the warning by adding a speed driving alert but that did not do anything. I called customer support, and when I told them about my situation they said they have no clue where it could come from and that I should visit my dealer about it. This started to happen when I updated both the MySubaru and Starlink App, and updated my infotainment system. So it could be possibly an App issue or software issue, because I only use Apple Maps, and in my maps I have it custom to the way I want it. I have been looking up anything about it but nothing, so I hope in time both the developers of the apps and infotainment system catch ear on this and find a solution.
You said you updated your infotainment system? There are no updates as far as I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change the permission for the app on your iPhone so that it only has location services when open or none at all. Settings > Subaru Starlink > Location. It’s sending via Bluetooth from the Starlink app. I don’t think it has anything to do with CarPlay. I have an appointment Monday at the dealership I bought mine from so I’ll ask if there’s a way to turn it off and post the fix, if there is one, here. The Starlink app has impressively low ratings on the App Store though so I’m guessing Subaru just didn’t put much effort into it. I personally deleted the app but I’ll try to find out incase anyone else has the same issue.
I ended up getting rid of the Starlink app, I see no use for it. I mainly use MySubaru, and never once use the Starlink app. Lets see if this solves the issue, most of you said it has so fingers cross for me!

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 2.5i
22 Posts
Picked up my Outback yesterday and am getting the same verbal alert described by the OP. Turned Starlink location services to NEVER, hopefully that works. Super annoying piece of nannybot bullshirt right there.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 53 Posts