Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned the Crutchfield MasterSheet Instructions.

Includes Dashboard disassembly, Receiver installation, Front and Rear Door Speaker removal and installation instructions, and a Wiring guide.

Here they are in .pdf form:

(2.36MB) http://subaru.FMGreen.net/2ndGenCrutchfieldMasterSheet.pdf

Here is an alternate version with actual pictures and more detailed instructions. Thanks to bobbyjimmy for passing it along! (Edit - March 7, 2007)

(781KB) http://subaru.FMGreen.net/2ndGen-AudioInstallation-AU.pdf

Enjoy!

Please contact me (PM or email) if there are ever any problems with the link! Thank you!

(PS, for those who don't know, with Acrobat Reader you can click the little icon to the right of the zoom icons and it should rotate all your pages so you can view these in landscape layout instead of portrait...)

·
Registered
2002 Outback - 5 spd. all stock - for now.
121 Posts
edit: stock deck has been replaced, with help from this guide that Green was so kind to post. thanks!

sucks that the deck didn't fit quite right and i had to mod my trim piece by cutting out notches so the trim would snap back on!! the stupid metal housing of the cd player stuck out too far, about 1/8 of an inch further than the rest of the stock components in that cage!!! argh!

·
Registered
Y2K Legacy Outback
472 Posts
FMGreen said:
I scanned the Crutchfield MasterSheet Instructions.

Includes Dashboard disassembly, Receiver installation, Front and Rear Door Speaker removal and installation instructions, and a Wiring guide.

Here they are in .pdf form:

(2.36MB) http://subaru.FMGreen.net/2ndGenCrutchfieldMasterSheet.pdf

Here is an alternate version with actual pictures and more detailed instructions. Thanks to bobbyjimmy for passing it along! (Edit - March 7, 2007)

(781KB) http://subaru.FMGreen.net/2ndGen-AudioInstallation-AU.pdf

Enjoy!

Please contact me (PM or email) if there are ever any problems with the link! Thank you!

(PS, for those who don't know, with Acrobat Reader you can click the little icon to the right of the zoom icons and it should rotate all your pages so you can view these in landscape layout instead of portrait...)
For cars with automatics, remove the little cover near the shifter and release the shifter lock. You can then slide the shift leaver all the way aft and have plenty of room to remove the panel and work.

·
Registered
2000 5MT Wintergreen Outback SW
96 Posts
Thank-you for posting these references. Now I think I'm willing & ready to tear into the OB to upgrade her audio components. :29:

·
Registered
'01 Outback H6
1 Posts
the speaker retainer appears to be completely different on my 01 OB H6, with the splash protector held in place with 4 tiny screws.
the retainer and speaker appear to be one mold.

i also can't seem to find an aftermarket spacer with the flange & 3-screw setup.
FML

·
Registered
2000 Outback, Base 2.5L AT, 185k (sold), 2005 Legacy GT, 5MT, 85k (current)
37 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting this, and thanks for the author of the second guide. I've installed speakers and head units before, but I still learned a couple things from the second, non-Crutchfield PDF. Does anyone have pics or more detail of the foam speaker baffling and poly fill methods described on the last page of the second PDF?

I'm pretty sure I'm properly visualizing the foam baffle, but I got lost on what to do with the poly fill. Anyone?

Jim

·
Registered
2004 Outback
1 Posts
this looks great. I'm going to try it this weekend. Just installing a newer head unit so that I can plug my ipod touch to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how to use the pin out on the stock radio p125 for the 6 disc changer to convert it to an AUX in? Or a cable I can buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2003 LLBean with 6cd changer

So any coments if this will be different than regular outbacks. I also have the onstar that I want to get rid of.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
So any coments if this will be different than regular outbacks. I also have the onstar that I want to get rid of.
As for the L.L. Bean (I have an 04):

The factory sub will not work unless you figure out which wires power it and you get a separate amp. Search the forum for more information in regard to that. I just didn't bother hooking mine up when I replaced my HU. The stock speakers have plenty of punch for me without the sub.

The OnStar has two components near the stereo that I found. Toward the top mounted above the climate control module you'll find a box with a ribbon cable and antenna cable attached to it with a Motorola sticker on it. I took this out of mine. When I did, the OnStar light glowed red instead of green, since this was the radio.

There is a second box behind the OnStar button/light panel labeled Delphi Delco Electronics Systems..I believe it is the OnStar Computer. The plugs on this were difficult to remove, but I got them out.

The rest is basically just the lights and buttons, which there really isn't much to. These plug in also, but they're relatively shallow.

When you take out the OnStar stuff, it's much easier to work...there isn't much slack on the cables to it, and the Motorola radio and OnStar Computer take up quite a bit of room.

Sorry, no pictures...I did this a long time ago and don't even know what I did with that Motorola device or the computer anymore. Only other obvious OnStar things I know of in the car are the sticker on the windshield (gone now), and the roof antenna (which just doesn't make sense to remove...you'd leave some sort of hole if you did).

Otherwise, the 6 disc in dash changer is totally contained within the old head unit...no special concern there. Only other thing is the in-glass antenna requires the power wire to be hooked up to it...it must have an amplifier or something (but I think this is the case with all Outbacks of certain years).

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Good info thanks.

I replaced all 4 speakers yesterday in my kids 2001 OB base wagon. The original ones were just the paper ones with a wizzer cone. Both rear speakers were blown. It wasn't too tough to do. I got a set of inexpensive but pretty efficient (93db) Clarion two ways. They fit no problem. In fact the fronts just plugged into the OEM wiring which was nice. All I needed to do was unscrew the 3 small torx screws holding the speaker in (not the plastic ring) unplug the speaker and plug these in. The rears I had to solder on ends, no biggie but they fit inside the plastic speaker holder and the holes line up with the OEM spacers just like the fronts.

For some reason my 12YO daughter is very interested in fixing things and figuring out how they work. So I asked her if she wanted to help me with the speakers. I had her do a lot of the work including some of the soldering. She really seemed to enjoy it and seems to be taking after me in this regard. My son while sort of interested does not seem to have his heart in it unfortunately.

The speakers sound pretty good paired with the JVC head unit:

JVC head unit link

Speakers are slim fit drop in perfect fit down to the mounting holes:

Clarion-SRG1621R-Coaxial-Speaker link

-
If you're looking for a good upgrade option that works well but is on the cheap this works out well. No way it's an audiophile set up but I have to say it's not bad and my son is happy. Under 200 bucks you can't beat it with a stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Good info thanks.

I replaced all 4 speakers yesterday in my kids 2001 OB base wagon. The original ones were just the paper ones with a wizzer cone. Both rear speakers were blown. It wasn't too tough to do. I got a set of inexpensive but pretty efficient (93db) Clarion two ways. They fit no problem. In fact the fronts just plugged into the OEM wiring which was nice. All I needed to do was unscrew the 3 small torx screws holding the speaker in (not the plastic ring) unplug the speaker and plug these in. The rears I had to solder on ends, no biggie but they fit inside the plastic speaker holder and the holes line up with the OEM spacers just like the fronts.

For some reason my 12YO daughter is very interested in fixing things and figuring out how they work. So I asked her if she wanted to help me with the speakers. I had her do a lot of the work including some of the soldering. She really seemed to enjoy it and seems to be taking after me in this regard. My son while sort of interested does not seem to have his heart in it unfortunately.

The speakers sound pretty good paired with the JVC head unit:

JVC head unit link

Speakers are slim fit drop in perfect fit down to the mounting holes:

Clarion-SRG1621R-Coaxial-Speaker link

-
If you're looking for a good upgrade option that works well but is on the cheap this works out well. No way it's an audiophile set up but I have to say it's not bad and my son is happy. Under 200 bucks you can't beat it with a stick.
Thanks for the info on the speakers. I wonder if those Clarions are better than the "upgraded" stock 2nd gen speakers. Mine are pretty decent but maybe some day I'll upgrade them...they actually have a lot of punch for stock ones!

I can also vouch for JVC headunits. I have a KW-HDR720 ( JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Receptor de Radio HD doble-DIN - KW-HDR720 \ Introduction ) in my OB and it's very good.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
The upgraded stock speakers are two ways in the front and single with a wizzer cone in the rear. I'm guessing the fronts will be about the same but the Clarions I have are most likely are better. For the price they are pretty good I have to say.

I looked at the head unit you have. It's really nice but more than I wanted to put into the system. Also, he's a new driver I don't want him messing with too much stuff when he's driving I wanted to keep it simple ;)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The upgraded stock speakers are two ways in the front and single with a wizzer cone in the rear. I'm guessing the fronts will be about the same but the Clarions I have are most likely are better. For the price they are pretty good I have to say.

I looked at the head unit you have. It's really nice but more than I wanted to put into the system. Also, he's a new driver I don't want him messing with too much stuff when he's driving I wanted to keep it simple ;)
I think the first thing I'll do is replace the driver for the stock sub. I put in an amp to power it and can tell that even a driver of that size could have a lot of potential...but the stock one is horrible. Mine might be blown. It pops with almost no power running to it. I need to find a decent 6x9 driver that is primarily designed for low-range I guess.

I like my JVC unit with the USB input. I put tons of albums on a flash drive and can play through them that way. It's great because I do a lot of driving for work and don't have to deal with stacks of CDs or whatever's on the radio.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Limited wagon, EJ204D with AVCS 190+hp, 5SPD, and a 93 Impreza wagon with a EJ20R twin turbo swap 317+HP no mods.
5 Posts
anyone know how the 9 speaker setup works? if it has a amp or what not?

·
Registered
2004 OB SW h4
114 Posts
Thanks for both of the links. Due to having access to them i just installed front and rear speakers in my 2004 OBW. I installed Pioneer 1605's in front and the 1685's in the rear. I used the OEM head unit for now. I also used the factory wiring and just clipped, stripped, and soldered all of the new connections together.
Relatively easy install taking your time. One thing that slowed me down was using the factory baffles with the new speakers. You need to drill a pilot hole then use sheet metal screws to secure the speakers to the door.
2 things i will be doing soon are the head unit and a small amp to push the speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought new CD player harness an dash kit
Got everything hooked up an works great
Car runs the flashers stay on I can't get them to cut off
I used my keyless remote I turned the switch to on an waited
Ten minutes I do t know what to do

1 - 20 of 72 Posts