Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned the Crutchfield MasterSheet Instructions.

Includes Dashboard disassembly, Receiver installation, Front and Rear Door Speaker removal and installation instructions, and a Wiring guide.

Here they are in .pdf form:

(1.34MB) http://subaru.FMGreen.net/1stGenCrutchfieldMasterSheet.pdf

Here is the latest version from direct from Crutchfield, it looks pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Thanks to PhatWheeler for sending this to me! (Edit - March 11, 2006)

(177KB) http://subaru.FMGreen.net/1stGenCrutchfieldMastersheet-Official.pdf

Enjoy!

Please contact me (PM or email) if there are ever any problems with the link! Thank you!

(PS, for those who don't know, with Acrobat Reader you can click the little icon to the right of the zoom icons and it should rotate all your pages so you can view these in landscape layout instead of portrait...)

-Edit- Fixed link, thanks to Rockhopjohn and JazzyMT for pointing it out.

·
Registered
Holden Panelvan 1978, Subaru Outback 1998
13 Posts
I have been looking everywhere for instructions on pulling abart my '98

www.fmgreen.net isn't giving me any love. So I can't download your PDF.. :'-(

:( :banghead: :iam:

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what to tell you...it's working fine for me right now.

If you still don't have any luck, just send me an email and I'll send the files to you as attachments.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,946 Posts
FMGreen said:
I'm not sure what to tell you...it's working fine for me right now.

If you still don't have any luck, just send me an email and I'll send the files to you as attachments.
Yeah, he wasn't crazy, I check a little while after he posted and it wasn't working for me either, I am guess something what up with your site for a little while. Working good for me now too.

·
Registered
Holden Panelvan 1978, Subaru Outback 1998
13 Posts
Works great now! :)

Yeah before it was timing out attempting to connect to your website. :twak:

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L
3 Posts
Is it possible to get a wiring diagram? My HU only has one illumination wire but the car has two (+ and -). I'm not sure how to hook it up and in the meantime I have no speedometer/tachometer lights during night time driving. A tech at circuit city told me that he doesn't hook up illumination wires.....so then what do i do with them???

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folmar, welcome to the site.

What I've linked to is all I have available.

It's possible that the illumination wires are not neccesary on your new HU, in fact it's likely as my guess is it's all fancy and electronic with pretty lights, etc... and all of that is powered by another wire.

I can't be positive.

You might be able to find some help by heading to www.crutchfield.com and browsing around. Try sending them an email even, I bet they'll help you if you don't explicitly tell them you didn't buy your HU from them.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L
3 Posts
Actually yes,.. i'm sure they're not necessary. They are not hooked up right now. The two illum from the car are just taped up and the one from the radio is as well. The stereo works great and is all lit up. The car works great. I just don't have any speedometer headlights. Maybe I shorted a wire or damaged the dimmer switch during installation. The lights work if I ground the negative wire to the chassis and hook the positive to the radio but there is no dimming function...they are just fully bright.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L
3 Posts
Actually, I might try putting the factory radio back in it. And if the dimmer lights still dont work then I will know its probably not in the radio wiring. I took it to Tweeter and they want $45 an hour to work on it.

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback AWD 2.5L manual
165 Posts
I wonder if Folmar ever worked out this dimmer issue!

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback AWD 2.5L manual
165 Posts
anyone have an answer to that dimmer hook up issue? should it just be ignored and capped off? Also, what about the ground wire? Do you hook it to the harness or to the frame somewhere?

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,287 Posts
Wow, talk about reviving something old. Not sure about a dual polarity illumination system, since the entire car chassis/body is ground, usually it's just supply. Wonder if that's some strange harness wiring thing. Although it is quite true that a considerable number of head units do not have an illumination/dimmer control, most still do to control dimming of the display, or in the case of mine, inverting the background and foreground so that it's easier to read during the day/when lights are off. My old Honda/Acura cars had a couple of wires that both related to dimmer/lights functionality and the trick was figuring out which was which. I'll bet you Folmar's problem was most likely a shitty connection or wiring job (he mentioned Circuit City... jesus...), or someone wired while hot and popped a fuse. It happens more than you'd think. Some dimmer/illumination wires work with factory radios to literally dim the light in sync with the brightness of gauge lighting, but most aftermarket units are either on or off in terms of how they handle it. Bigcee, start up a thread in the A/V forum (that we're currently in) if this hasn't explained what you're looking for and ask me some more detailed questions about your problem, and then reference your new thread in the "hey wolf read this thread" thread.... thread... whatever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts