Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Subaru world, don't even have 100 miles on my new Outback Limited, so I'm still figuring things out, but I'm confused by a discrepancy between the owner's manual and the settings menu.
In the owner's manual it has a long list of audio settings, the one I was most interested in was "Speed Volume Control". According to the manual (photo attached) you navigate Home>Settings>Sound and then you'll see a bunch of settings, but when I do that all I see is "Sound Customization" and "Aux Volume Gain" (and Sound Customization menu does not have any of the settings listed in the manual.
So what am I doing wrong? Am I in the wrong place? Is the manual listing something that comes on an Ouback model that is an upgrade over the Limited?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lloyd
Finger Text Font Nail Publication

Text Technology Colorfulness Gadget Font

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,803 Posts
Those extra settings are for the non-Harman Kardon systems. If you have Harman Kardon you don't have those settings. Just so you know, those settings are all awful and don't help. The HK system is much, much better.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@SilverOnyx, thanks for the quick reply and explanation. So there isn't any speed volume control if you don't have the HK system? Okay...I guess I'll go the manual route and use my hand. Another quick question, I'm a little confused by the "volume" settings for all the different things (i.e. incoming call, radio, warning, etc). Is that essentially setting the start volume and then I can turn it up or down from there? It's kind of hard to figure out where to set those, some seem way too loud, some don't seem loud enough...and it's kind of hard to pick a number when you can't hear how loud that particular setting is at that volume without being able to hear it as you set it (hope that makes sense). Do you have any suggestions on the best way to set it up...and I know this is all very personal, so what you like might not work for me, but if you could help me get into the ballpark I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Lloyd

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,803 Posts
The one volume control knob is supposed to control whatever is playing/active at the moment you're turning that knob, which can be convenient if you're quick or confusing if you don't realize the system has switched on you. For example, if the phone is ringing through your speakers and it's too loud, turning the volume knob down will lower the ring sound but won't affect radio, so after lowering the volume for one thing, when it switches to another thing it may be too loud or too soft, so for each different audio source (phone, bluetooth music, radio, system commands) you have to keep adjusting every time it switches until each source has been adjusted properly for you. Once you set the volume for a given source the system is supposed to remember that volume for that source.

Let me know if that helps!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay...confession here, I'm not that bright, so let me explain this back to you and tell me if I got this right. The "Volume" knob on the dash is where you go to adjust for every audio source (radio, media, warnings, etc). Once you have adjusted that particular source, using the volume knob, to my desired level, the system should remember that level and next time I use that source it start at that level. Right?
So if that's the case, then what are all those settings in the menu? "Incoming call volume" "Warning volume" etc?
Maybe I'm old, but I sort of miss analog switches and dials...and if I may digress, I hate that the temp controls and heat seater controls are part of the touchscreen, really complicates things when you are trying to keep your eyes on the road.
Thanks again!
Lloyd

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,803 Posts
Okay...confession here, I'm not that bright, so let me explain this back to you and tell me if I got this right. The "Volume" knob on the dash is where you go to adjust for every audio source (radio, media, warnings, etc). Once you have adjusted that particular source, using the volume knob, to my desired level, the system should remember that level and next time I use that source it start at that level. Right?
So if that's the case, then what are all those settings in the menu? "Incoming call volume" "Warning volume" etc?
Maybe I'm old, but I sort of miss analog switches and dials...and if I may digress, I hate that the temp controls and heat seater controls are part of the touchscreen, really complicates things when you are trying to keep your eyes on the road.
Thanks again!
Lloyd
We're all mystified by this thing and I'm just sharing my limited understanding of it. I could be wrong!

That's a great question and I haven't fully investigated this issue because by using the knob I am able to get things where I want them. I wonder if by turning the knob it will adjust the in-head-unit display "volume" to match, or if somehow the knob adjustment is overridden by the head-unit setting?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to know I'm not alone...I'll keep it old school and just use the knob to adjust things.
Thanks.
Lloyd

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
186 Posts
I think the 2 methods do exactly the same thing so its your preference which way to do it.

Some thing have enough duration, like the voice during a phone call, so you can easily adjust the volume with the knob.

Other things like warning chimes, have such a short duration that it's not easy to catch it during the sound. So you have to use those bloody menus to adjust it.

And I agree that the touch screen is a pain for frequent things like seat heaters...!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But my question with the menu is what exactly are they setting? Is that the beginning volume? So, for example, let's say I set my "incoming call" setting at 30 and my radio is set to 24, will the incoming call come in starting louder and from there I have to turn it up or down? I'm just not sure of its purpose, wouldn't you just want all of the sound to come in at whatever volume you have your radio/media set at?
Just feels like they complicated a pretty simple thing...or am I just misunderstanding the whole deal?
Thanks,
Lloyd

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
186 Posts
I'm gonna have to try something for my own curiosity. Say you set the radio volume at 24 and the call volume at 30 (like you said). Then next time you have a phone call, use the knob to adjust it. Then back in the menus to see if the call volume has changed to a different number...

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My guess...and as I said before, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I assumed that those settings are what the starting audio level is for that particular function. So adjusting during the call won't change that setting...but I could be totally wrong.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,803 Posts
This is where having people perform experiments and letting us know what happens would be helpful but I'm afraid to change my settings because I'm not wanting to mess it up since I'm happy the way it is.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,586 Posts
Two quick comments. The speed volume control isn't very effective, so you're not missing anything if you don't have it.
In addition to the volume knob, the volume toggles under your left thumb also control all the various audio outputs while they are playing. I find it easier to use the steering wheel volume controls rather than reaching for the volume knob, which I only use for muting the audio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts