Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Outback Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2017 Touring and in the audio section, there is a Type A or B. I have "B" which does not have all the bells and whistles of "A" . It says it is the amplifier that is the difference. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I have this? The technician said I have a Fujitsu Radio but I have Kardon Speakers. When I go to "sound settings" it only shows a schematic of the car and no way to change the equalizer or amplifier,etc. I would think the top of the line touring would have the best radio.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,240 Posts
To the best of my understanding the Gen 5 2015-2017 HK system has minimal ability to make any kind of adjustments. This will be one less thing to be concern about that can increase your blood pressure.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
62 Posts
I also have a question about this, and maybe it'll help out the op, but from my understanding the HK system is the one that has the LIMITED features, no eq, and most importantly the volume doesn't travel up and down with vehicle speed. HIGHLY annoying coming from a 09 Acura TL that had it! Is it possible for people like me and @DLTouring2017! that want those features to have our head unit flashed to the "non" HK System and have everything still work correctly??

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,242 Posts

·
Registered
Outback Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a question about this, and maybe it'll help out the op, but from my understanding the HK system is the one that has the LIMITED features, no eq, and most importantly the volume doesn't travel up and down with vehicle speed. HIGHLY annoying coming from a 09 Acura TL that had it! Is it possible for people like me and @DLTouring2017! that want those features to have our head unit flashed to the "non" HK System and have everything still work correctly??
Yes, I agree. For this "high end" Outback it should have it. While I am complaining, the navigation is horrible, not user friendly at all.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
My only real complaint with the nav system is the inability to change the default volume and have it stick. I turn it all the way down, and the next time I start the car it's back to 10. I don't want to listen to it.

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
Can you swap it to a non HK head unit and have it work correctly?
I seriously doubt it, but I've never tried. If it were possible, why would different HUs even exist, HK vs. non-HK? You would have to find someone who's already attempted it to know for sure.

·
Registered
Outback Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I ask you....I have Harman speakers so do I have a HK radio or a Fijitsu? The tech keeps saying it is the Fijitsu.....

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
If your U.S.-spec 2015-2017 Outback is base trim it has a Clarion head unit. If Premium, Limited, or Touring trim it has a Fujitsu Ten head unit. If it is Limited or Touring trim it also has a separate, downstream HK amp and matching HK speakers.

Reactions: runner9595

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
446 Posts
...and most importantly the volume doesn't travel up and down with vehicle speed. HIGHLY annoying coming from a 09 Acura TL that had it!
I agree. Even my 2000 Saab had that feature. In fact, with a microphone in the car and a digital audio system, such volume adjustment could be based on ambient noise, not just vehicle speed. And if they really wanted to, they could do active noise cancellation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts