Subaru Outback Forums banner

Audio via AUX or USB while connected to Bluetooth

24K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bushman111 
#1 ·
I have seen Bluetooth issues on here but haven't ran into my specific issue.

Background:

2013 Outback 2.5i Premium with standard 6-speaker audio
iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.3

I can pair my phone using the steering wheel controls (BT) and using the turn knobs (BT-A). I experience the issue using one or the other (or both at the same time).

What I want to do:
After Bluetooth is on and paired, I connect my AUX cable or USB cable to the phone. I want to switch to either AUX or USB and then listen to my music while still being connected to the car via Bluetooth Hands-Free.

The problem:
After I plug my phone (iPhone changes to "Dock Connector" mode) in and change to USB on the car radio, I press "play" and I can hear audio for half a second before it automatically pauses. It does the same thing when using the AUX connection ("Headphones" mode). If I remove all cables and try to change the iPhone to output to "iPhone" mode, it pauses like the rest. If I switch to BT-A, the iPhone changes back to "CAR M-MEDIA" the audio picks back up and plays fine.

I have to un-pair or turn off Bluetooth to play audio is this manner.

If I stay on BT-A and change my iPhone output to "Dock Connector" (USB input) the phone plays but there is no audio. When I switch the car to USB, it pauses and will not allow it to resume.

I would be willing to have the phone connect only to hands-free and not audio, but no matter how I pair the phone it will play audio through the BT-A mode on the radio.

See less See more
#4 ·
You're not going to like this...

"The system is working as designed." I don't think they realized people would want to do this.

The only option is after market or use a separate device for media (not you phone). If you pause playback on the phone (phone restart helps too) it should disable the playback. Past that I can't help much since I use a superior Android device. :p Haha, little joke...

There is one thing to try. Turn off bluetooth on the phone and connect to usb/axu. Then turn bluetooth back on with the cable still hooked up.

Me? I just run bluetooth and live with it and use a usb charger. This works for my friends iPhone when he is in the car.

If you didn't know, you do not need to be on BT-A to accept a call. The car will switch back and forth as needed.

#5 ·
As far as I know, the USB connection does not support iPhone5. It supports up to iPhone4, I believe, due to the iOS design. That is why it says "iPod compatible" not "iPhone" Right now, BT is the best option.

I will check further to find more answers related to this.

#6 ·
After some research, I found the following post in XV Crosstrek forum. From below, you can can pair phone iPhone only for the BT function. Then you can plug your iphone to the USB (I guess my belief about the USB not supporting iPhone5 was incorrect).

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. Congratulations on the purchase of your 2013 XV Crosstrek 2.0i Ltd. I hope that you are enjoying it.

Your 2013 XV Crosstrek is equipped with two Bluetooth functions - audio streaming and hands-free calling. The pairing is separate for these two different Bluetooth functions. When an iPhone is connected via the USB connector and the USB/iPod mode is selected (detailed on page 5-26 in the owner's manual,) the music should be played through the stereo system through the iPod mode. If BT Audio is selected and the iPhone has been paired for Bluetooth audio streaming, then the sound would be through the audio streaming.

You can connect an iPhone through the USB/iPod mode and receive and make calls using the Bluetooth hands-free system, as long as the phone has been paired for this Bluetooth function. Details of the hands-free system are found in the owner's manual starting on page 5-37.

There is no play or pause button, as you are aware. If you wish to stop a song being played on your iPhone, you can switch the mode to a different mode or you can turn the sound system off with the power button.

Your message has been documented in our Customer/Dealer Services database. This will allow for your message to be properly reviewed, tracked and considered by our Product Management Department. Subaru is always striving to improve upon our products and appreciates when our customers bring their experiences, interests and concerns to our attention.

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

#7 ·
Retested: good & bad

I tested it out again.

I plugged my phone into USB/iPod mode and the paired the phone as if it were the first time (meaning I deleted all other phone entries from BT-A and hands-free). The phone pairs successfully as normal and I end the setup.

The good: It goes back to USB/iPod mode and starts playing fine with Bluetooth connected (woohoo!). I cycled through all the 'modes' and landed on USB/iPod: still plays fine. I disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth: still playing fine. (note: the phone is playing on "car media" rather than "dock")

The bad: if I turn the car OFF and then back to ON, the phone re-pairs automatically but will no longer play the iPod even though the USB/iPod mode never changes. If you hit 'play' it will go back to 'paused'.

So, I deleted everything and tried again. The exact same results occurred; worked fine until turning the car off. Strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.