Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to switch the air intake to outside instead of inside when pushing the Auto A/C button or doe's the air intake always stay on inside?

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
What year Outback do you have? I have a 2003...

Let me say that auto a/c seems stupid to me, all its ever done (on my Outback) is turn itself down to 65 and put itself on full blast. It doesn't seem to want to adjust itself. Although if you push any other button the "Auto" feature turns off and you can adjust it however you'd like. It just seems pointless to me as it has never shown me any logic it has to "automatically" adjust itself to whatever the best climate is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 Outback

I have the same problem when I press Auto it is like being in a wind tunnel
The fan will come down a notch after about 15 mins.
But I would rather the Auto come on using outside intake instead of inside air intake. oh well that's the way it is I guess.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I recall correctly, the manual that came with my '04 Outback stated that there are three sensors that tell the computer for the "auto" mode how to adjust the fan speed.

1. Outside temperature
2. Interior temperature
3. Sun light intensity sensor (along side front the defroster vents)

It seems to me that the fan stays on high speed longer during the day time. My wife is the A/C type. I like to drive with the windows down most of the time.

Kurt

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
On my 3.0R there is no way to have it pre-select outside air when on full auto, but it always goes to using outside air once it's close to the set temperature.

One thing that's not obvious is that you can manually change one feature such as the outside air intake, and the temperature and fan speed etc are still under auto control. On gripe I have is that the Aircon is always on, even when it's 40F outside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with Jondalar that I would like to turn off the A/C when it is cold out and still have it in auto mode.

However, when the temperature is below 32F (0C) the A/C compressor will automatically turn off.

[Being obsessed with Subaru Outbacks, I read the owner's manual as if it were on the New York Times best seller list.]

Kurt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ahhh, I'm not too sure on Subaru's but on Honda's it's kind of a different story..

You set it to Auto and give it a set temp to maintain and then you can select the Fresh Air Intake rather than the Recirc Air Intake.

Oh and one more thing, most AC systems now are also used as a dehumidfiers also..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
pnx-r
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing