Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1000th Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done their own installation of the Auto dimming rearview mirror and compass? I have a brand new 2005 OB that I am interested in adding this feature. I know the dealer will do it for $165 + install. Or I can get the mirror myself fot $135 + shipping and install it.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard. I know the wiring harness is there for it right under the map light component.....just not sure I want to go and pull apart my new OB headliner or crack something on a car with only 120 miles on it to date!! I would classify myself as avrage to above average on do it yourself projects, but not an expert.

Any thoughts or experiences to share? Anyone have this feature on their OB? Likes...dislikes?

All and any feedback much appreciated!
thanks!

SP

·
Registered
665 Posts
The OB XT that I bought from the dealership stock didn't come with mirror but I had the dealer do it. It shouldn't be hard at all. I don't know if there is any cablibration of the Auto-dim part (other than installing it facing the right way :D), the compass would need to be calibrated. The dealer did mine.

However, the typical method of calibrating a digital compass usually involves rotating the thing 3 times or so until the unit indicates it's working properly somehow. That's how I do my GPS (Etrex Vista). Obviously an analog compass needs no calibration!

I gather this would be easier to be done before you actually attach mirror to windshield. If you have to calibrate the compass on the car, i guess you drive around in circles??? :)

It should come with a manual of some sort anyway (I have mine but never read it, just tossed it in my binder).

Jay

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our Beaner already hd the mirror/compass installed. My wife likes the auto-dimming feature.

Auto dimming is based on sensors on the front and back of the mirror (co calibration neeeded. Compass calibration needs to done after it is installed in the car. The procedure is in the owners manual -- and yes it does involve driving in circles.

Here is a link to the installaltion guide.

http://www.subaruparts.com/guides/44S_EC_Mirror_Compass_IxI.pdf

I hope it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well,

Its like this. I've got the auto-dimming mirror in my 05 2.5i OB and on more than one occasion I've reached up to try and flick the mirror to night mode like in my other car when at dusk I'm being blinded from headlights. Instead I cover the sensor on the mirror front to get the thing to darken. I like the compass, but just because it says SW doesn't mean I'm not lost. Might save your $135.

05 2.5i 5spd OB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Auto dimming R/V mirror

There's another reason to consider it, too: If you think you may have an aftermarket tint applied to the rear window, it reduces or eliminates the need for an autodimming mirror. That just leaves a potential need for a compass, and good ones can be had for 25 bucks or less.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I personally don't like those things. I think they fall in the useless gadget category.

First of all, they are unnecessary large; block the view up front where you really need it. Also, I find they never quite darken enough.

It's much simpler to just flick the tab up when it gets dark and flip it back down when it's daylight.

·
1000th Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback guys - I'll let you know what I decide to do. I know there are mixed reviews in terms of who likes this particular feature. I do have tinted glass on the rear so it may not be necessary. Truth be told it appeals to me simply because I feel it upgrades the look of the interior. Not in a rush to get it but it's on my want list.

thanks again for the advice
SP

ps: agree with Windsor on the compass LOL. OK you're going north but what road are you on! ....the compass though looks cool as a digital display

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello
I have installed several of these mirrors, including 1 in my own 97 O.B, its very easy , does not take much time @ all, just line up the ne one w/ the old one location for the bet fit ,
Best to do it w/ temp @ least 70 degrees on the windshield, Good luck ! .. P.s I can get them for 100.00 & no they are not rejects from E bay :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts