Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to have the doors automatically lock when placed in drive or over a certain speed?

Can the dealer program it?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The option isn't there. The only way i know of is if you are thinking about getting a remote starter get one with ignition controlled door locks.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
No.

Also, there are a good dozen threads on this. Searching is your friend,

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
That's weird the new models don't have that option. It used to be a dealer set option in maybe the early 2000's, that they could set up in the pre-delivery.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
That's weird the new models don't have that option. It used to be a dealer set option in maybe the early 2000's, that they could set up in the pre-delivery.
Nope I owned a 2001 Limited fully loaded no such system and glad it didn't have it. Our 2001 VW has this and I hate it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I just though I would ask. My old car had an option to turn this on or off so anyone could choose to use it. I liked it because I drive through some shady parts of Trenton on my commute to work. Just felt a little more secure. I guess I've been spoiled not to have to think about it.

With my old car when you passed 15mph it locked. When you parked and opened the drivers door it automatically unlocked all 4 doors so it wouldn't be a pain for passengers.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am so glad it does not have the features most American made cars do. Glad it does not ding ding ding when you open the door, ding ding ding when you put in the key, ding ding ding diiiiing diiiiiing when you start it and the seatbelt is not latched (dealer turned that off for me) and super glad it does not automatically lock/unlock all the doors when I put it in drive/park etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What's the reasoning behind locking the doors while driving? If you pull the handle they would unlock and open anyway.

Way back in the day, they would say to lock the doors while driving so that they wouldn't swing open and eject you in the case of an accident. Not really the case anymore - the door LATCH is what holds it shut, not the lock.

Is it for a child safety thing?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
What's the reasoning behind locking the doors while driving? If you pull the handle they would unlock and open anyway.

Way back in the day, they would say to lock the doors while driving so that they wouldn't swing open and eject you in the case of an accident. Not really the case anymore - the door LATCH is what holds it shut, not the lock.

Is it for a child safety thing?
It's not to keep passengers inside the vehicle, rather other people out.

My current car has autolock. Had the car for weeks before I even noticed it. I drive mainly highway and never through "rough" areas, so I could take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The doors in my 2012 Outback don't unlock when you pull the handle.

This is something I've had to get used to. In our Jetta the doors autolock at 10mph but when you pull the handle the door opens.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Autolock is actually a good safety feature. Twice at red lights my wife has had strangers try to enter her vehicle while she was driving alone. Her current vehicle has the autolock so they can never get in. But if it didn't, and she forgot to lock the doors, would I still have a wife today?

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's not to keep passengers inside the vehicle, rather other people out.
I have to humbly disagree with this point. The autolocks I am familiar with unlock all door when you put the car in park. This to me is actually a safety issue and I can prove it cause I got robbed at gunpoint sitting in a parking lot when someone ran up the passenger side door and pulled it open before I knew what was happening and jumped in forcing me to drive to an alley where he emptied my wallet and took whatever he thought was worth anything from the glove box.

A bit extreme of an example but they are NOT to me a safety feature in my eyes and from my experience with them. YMMV.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Autolock is actually a good safety feature. Twice at red lights my wife has had strangers try to enter her vehicle while she was driving alone. Her current vehicle has the autolock so they can never get in. But if it didn't, and she forgot to lock the doors, would I still have a wife today?

Wow we had contrasting experiences and we appear to have been typing at the same time. Glad it helped your wife in that situation, for me it was the complete opposite. I prefer to unlock my door then other doors as needed.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I have to humbly disagree with this point.
Be that as it may, my point is still correct and valid. They are intended to keep people out, period. The fact that some criminal found the weak link in the system in your case, while highly unfortunate, has no bearing on my statement.

If a criminal opens your house door as you unlock it to leave, does that mean the lock isn't there to keep people out?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am so glad it does not have the features most American made cars do. Glad it does not ding ding ding when you open the door, ding ding ding when you put in the key, ding ding ding diiiiing diiiiiing when you start it and the seatbelt is not latched (dealer turned that off for me) and super glad it does not automatically lock/unlock all the doors when I put it in drive/park etc.
I must have a different Subaru than you have! mine does all the diing diings that you don't have!
The only thing mine does not do, it does not lock the doors, and I wish it would do this!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing