Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'03 Outback H-6

I know for the majority this is unwise but I have found myself in trouble having to wait to pull her into gear. Foot back on brake, delay, distraction while processing the reason ect.

I'm quite sure I could dissemble the console and find what mechanism engages the lockout but has anyone done this and have some guidance to offer?

I am the only one driving this vehicle so that's not an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions! :7: for a solution!

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
There's basically a little white plastic clip that blocks the shift lever from moving out of park and it moves out of the way when you press the brake pedal. If you listen near the gearshift when you hit the brake, you'll hear a click--that's it moving out of the way.

I would think the easiest solution would be to disassemble the trim near the gearshift enough so you can break or remove this plastic piece. I could see it in my 2004 because the black trim was missing and I could see down into where the shift lever goes.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's basically a little white plastic clip ~~~

I would think the easiest solution would be to disassemble the trim ~~~~
Thanks!

Guess I'll be looking into that trim removal process. I've replaced the stereo but that's as far into the console I've gotten.

CNY_Dave said:
What, are you runnin' moonshine?
Only one jar left....:gasp:

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
Isn't there usually a small round hole near the shifter that allows you to move the shifter wherever you wish simply by inserting an ice pick or thin screwdriver in the hole and releasing the pin?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,479 Posts
You may not have to push the brake to get it out of park, but you will always have that delay in engagement. Its a Phase II 4EAT programming thing.

If there is a lag in the solenoid reaction to get it out of park, or its being unruly, try just cleaning the plastic parts and spray them down with WD-40. Majority of the time, when a car is hard to get out of park, its trash binding the plastic joints. You'd be surprised at how much dust and dirt gathers down there. Blend that with coffee or drink spills, drippings from cleaners when you detail the car, and you have a sludge.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You may not have to push the brake to get it out of park, but you will always have that delay in engagement. Its a Phase II 4EAT programming thing.

If there is a lag in the solenoid reaction to get it out of park, or its being unruly, try just cleaning the plastic parts and spray them down with WD-40. Majority of the time, when a car is hard to get out of park, its trash binding the plastic joints. You'd be surprised at how much dust and dirt gathers down there. Blend that with coffee or drink spills, drippings from cleaners when you detail the car, and you have a sludge.
Thanks! My house furnace failed yesterday so this is on the back burner for now! (so to speak)

I recall reading about the fail-safe, ice pick, trick so if I don't like how it works after cleaning and lube; disabling shouldn't be hard to do....:29:

Thanks for all the help. Pics to follow when I take a look see.... Then short time later.

Ok Easiest fix yet! Push down on the spring lever (center) insert an unused crimp connector (lower right), add sm dab of silicon to the plastic crimp area to hold in place. Done.

Don't like it? Pull the spade crimp connector out!:5:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Auto gear safety thingie

So, I just replaced the brake pads on my 2008 Outback and now the auto gear/brake safety thing makes a horribly loud "clicking" sound when I engage the brake. I knew immediately it was the safety mechanism, but what I don't know is why it's now making a very loud click when the safety releases or how to make it do this quietly as it did before. Thoughts?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,435 Posts
Can't imagine it has anything to do with the recent brake work.

Has something fallen in to the works, making the mechanism hit harder than it should because it isn't traveling quite as far?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I didn't really touch anything in the gear shift housing or do anything other than replace the brake pads, so I'm not really sure. I thought the noise and brake job may have been related since before the brake job = no noise; after brake job = noise. I'll continue researching. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Can't imagine it has anything to do with the recent brake work.

Has something fallen in to the works, making the mechanism hit harder than it should because it isn't traveling quite as far?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Well, I didn't really touch anything in the gear shift housing or do anything other than replace the brake pads, so I'm not really sure. I thought the noise and brake job may have been related since before the brake job = no noise; after brake job = noise. I'll continue researching. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.
Your not confusing the abs activating with the shift lock mechanisim are you?

Only time i had shift lock issues was when I had a short in the taillight that was blowing the break light circuit.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I just replaced the brake pads on my 2008 Outback and now the auto gear/brake safety thing makes a horribly loud "clicking" sound when I engage the brake. I knew immediately it was the safety mechanism, but what I don't know is why it's now making a very loud click when the safety releases or how to make it do this quietly as it did before. Thoughts?
I agree with the others and doubt it is the "lock-out" since it isn't connected to the brake system.

Subiesailor's description: "the abs activating" sounds more likely.

It's easy to pull the trim cover off the shifter and look at the lock-out to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts