Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've talked about this a bit on here. I'm working on solutions that would give us a latching switch that would permanently disable auto start/stop. Still have some testing to do, but I think I'm on the right path. I'm trying to understand what the market would be for this to see if this is worth chasing or not. Please respond to the poll so I can gauge if this is worth scaling up and producing. The answers here might change my strategy on whether I can build them myself vs contract it out, etc.

The ideal product that would be delivered: A full, wired switch assembly, with printed instructions on how to install. The switch would integrate into the switch panel below and to the left of the steering wheel.

Feel free to leave any comments or questions.

PS I went ahead and asked the mods before hand and they cleared this. Hopefully I can get a solution out in the next few months if the interest is there!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,754 Posts
I'm probably just getting more paranoid as I get older, but I would personally be a little concerned about the liability issues of selling something like this to random strangers on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I would probably purchase it from somebody, but to be the seller would make me a bit nervous with the lawsuit-happy mentality that exists today.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
I'm probably just getting more paranoid as I get older, but I would personally be a little concerned about the liability issues of selling something like this to random strangers on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I would probably purchase it from somebody, but to be the seller would make me a bit nervous with the lawsuit-happy mentality that exists today.
That's why if this is a defroster disable switch, (or whatever form it takes) it must not mechanically or electronically touch any of the car's safety or drive by wire systems - the wiring shouldn't be zip tied to such wiring, etc. While I'm sure such wiring is shielded and encased in strong insulation, there must be no conceivable way that it could affect the performance of critical systems.

LED light bulbs can burn out and melt harnesses, cup holders can splinter in a crash, aftermarket reverse cameras, car alarms and stereo systems, dash cams, all these things get wired into the car and can malfunction, but none of these things touch the airbag wiring etc. Seat covers make sure to leave openings for the side air bags, that sort of thing.

Surprisingly, there seems to be little liability for steering wheel covers that could come loose, or those gas and brake pedal covers, or other things that could result in the loss of control of the vehicle.

I think a device controlling start/stop behavior increases safety and returns control to the driver whether or not to activate it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Bebba1

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Seems like common sense, but you know how those lawyers can be. ?
I totally get it. Heck you could make a sticker and someone can put it on their side view mirror then sue you when they have an accident because "your sticker" obscured their vision. I don't think the potential for frivolous lawsuits should deter people from living their lives and doing stuff. I could run someone over every time I drive but it's not going to stop me. Look at all those aftermarket LED lights installed in housings not meant for them, that blind oncoming traffic.

You're right that we're in an overly litigious society, but lawyers are in it for the money, and they'd much rather go after billion dollar corporations for selling hot coffee than chase after some guy that makes a switch. Subaru is far more likely to be sued for misaligned headlights than some third party headlight tint kit maker for decreasing light output.

Reactions: tw1nklto35

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yikes. Less interest in this than I thought there would be. Sounds like it's just a very vocal minority :LOL:

If we want this to look totally clean, an OEM fog light switch for that area is $60+ alone... there might just be a handful needed at a much higher price for those who really hate the auto start/stop.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yikes. Less interest in this than I thought there would be. Sounds like it's just a very vocal minority :LOL:

If we want this to look totally clean, an OEM fog light switch for that area is $60+ alone... there might just be a handful needed at a much higher price for those who really hate the auto start/stop.
It doesn't bother me in normal driving. Just let off the brake at a light and the car starts up and a few milliseconds later press on the gas pedal. I only find it annoying when parking where the car shuts off just before you enable the parking brake and it has to start up again.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,231 Posts

Its been less than 24 hours. I doubt most here check this every day like some of us.
Also, its one thing to want Subaru to design this. Some people are uncomfortable with homemade mods on a brand new car.
I hate start stop, but would also want to make sure a mod is very well designed and not going to affect anything else on these complicated machines. I think the poll shows the minority are those that are ok with S/S

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
671 Posts
Yikes. Less interest in this than I thought there would be. Sounds like it's just a very vocal minority
Dude--there's a much bigger base than you've polled on another thread. There are 250 who are self-identified prospects, and 165 that are extremist Auto SS killers. There is opportunity for you! :unsure:

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
287 Posts
I was chatting with one of the EE guys at work, I'm a ME also and he mentioned using gates since you'd basically want to have two buttons with two outcomes...This came up as we were talking about another project I'm working on and thought it'd apply to you also.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,010 Posts
I think I'd be interested, if the switch addition could be done pretty "cleanly", in terms of both the process, as well as the end-appearance.

I'd also want to know about any side-effects, in terms of other functions that might be affected, etc.

In addition to the rear-defroster "method", I've also seen posts that talk about fooling the car by making it appear as if a trailer is being towed. As well as a post or two that suggest that auto S/S is disabled if the hood-latch switch thinks the hood is open. Maybe one or both of these other "disabling hacks" would lend itself to a cleaner switch addition?

I'd also be perfectly happy (or at least reasonably happy) if the current "three screen presses" method for turning off auto S/S could be improved by Subaru SW engineers to only require a single screen press. (Even if it still had to be done for every drive.) But that's just me.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't want anything to do with fooling the car into thinking it's towing. There could potentially be stability control things that play into it. Not touching that with a ten foot pole.

First choice right now is to tie into the body module system. Second choice is relay system off of the window defroster. Third choice is an inline fuse + switch off the defroster. There are pros and cons to each, but I need to test some of it out.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
793 Posts
I would like a simple clean reversible install. Not willing to pay too much only because it s a lease for me. I was told that a simple wire (hot/power) to the wire going into the defroster(hot) would permeinatly shut the SS and let the defrost function work? Electrical is not my thing so is this the route you are going?
I ll vote on my price level. The issue I see for you (if you don t mind me sharing) is that simple and cheap may take any incentive out of it for you. I believe it can be done simple and cheap. Seems to be more about a little knowledge , testing than anything elaborate. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
I don't want anything to do with fooling the car into thinking it's towing. There could potentially be stability control things that play into it. Not touching that with a ten foot pole.

First choice right now is to tie into the body module system. Second choice is relay system off of the window defroster. Third choice is an inline fuse + switch off the defroster. There are pros and cons to each, but I need to test some of it out.
Thanks for sharing your thought process. It's very comforting to know that you're being meticulous and thorough in thinking this through. If you don't get enough feedback to consider offering it as a kit, then I hope you'll provide the brave with a parts list so that we can benefit from your hard work. Heck I'd pay for the plans.

1 - 20 of 345 Posts