Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i (Tungsten)
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my white 2018 OB 2.5i Limited 5 months ago (just 1,250 miles on it now), with 3 time typical dead battery issue. Was considering downsizing to a 2019 Forester (to make the wife happy). However, since I found out that Foresters will have standard auto start/stop, I've decided to keep my OB and just get a 800 CCA battery. I absolutely *hate* the idea the start/stop feature on the '19 Forester. From what I understand, it cannot be turned off permanently. Shame on you, Subaru! I realize that start/stop has been around for awhile on various makes. I wonder if that will be standard on all cars for 2019... Other than the dead battery issue, HU issues, and auto open rear hatch, I really enjoy the OB. Rides great, good gas mileage. Still trying to get used to the key FOB and push button start. This is my 3rd Subaru (2013 Legacy Premium to 2014 Legacy Limited to '18 Outback).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
They will be moving auto-cars? To 24 volt systems soon. Subaru's weak *ass electrics will need a boost if the want to keep playing with the tech.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I bought my white 2018 OB 2.5i Limited 5 months ago (just 1,250 miles on it now), with 3 time typical dead battery issue. Was considering downsizing to a 2019 Forester (to make the wife happy). However, since I found out that Foresters will have standard auto start/stop, I've decided to keep my OB and just get a 800 CCA battery. I absolutely *hate* the idea the start/stop feature on the '19 Forester. From what I understand, it cannot be turned off permanently. Shame on you, Subaru! I realize that start/stop has been around for awhile on various makes. I wonder if that will be standard on all cars for 2019... Other than the dead battery issue, HU issues, and auto open rear hatch, I really enjoy the OB. Rides great, good gas mileage. Still trying to get used to the key FOB and push button start. This is my 3rd Subaru (2013 Legacy Premium to 2014 Legacy Limited to '18 Outback).

Doubt it will be standard on all cars. I have driven several cars with start/stop. Have not seen one yet where you could permanently turn it off.

Recently rented an '18 Cadillac XT5 for two weeks. On other vehicles I have driven you can turn off the stop/start for the current start cycle. On the XT5 you have no option to turn it off. It's always working. I don't find it all that intrusive. Heck, have been driving golf carts with stop/start tech for 30+ years.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,176 Posts
Wife's XV (Crosstrek) has it. I hate it. I usually remember to turn it off before driving away. If we forget we just turn the system off when it does it the first time. The battery is massive. I would struggle to pull it out with my 'custard arms'. The reason the system exists is because during the urban fuel consumption test in Australia the vehicle is stationary for 40% of the time. With the system in place it is now turned off 40% of the time. The system is not bad at doing its job. The car starts faster than you can get your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. I just don't like it though.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
I bought my white 2018 OB 2.5i Limited 5 months ago (just 1,250 miles on it now), with 3 time typical dead battery issue. Was considering downsizing to a 2019 Forester (to make the wife happy). However, since I found out that Foresters will have standard auto start/stop, I've decided to keep my OB and just get a 800 CCA battery. I absolutely *hate* the idea the start/stop feature on the '19 Forester.
Does your car sit for long periods without being used? That's usually terrible for a battery regardless of whether they're junk or not. There are a lot of electronics energized when the car is parked. I use battery tenders on my cars that are parked/stored for longer periods.

As for start/stop....if properly implemented, I don't really see the issue. It's different, which I realize is a challenge for some people, but there's really no disadvantage to it. Most that I've driven are relatively seamless but I've not driven a Sube with it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,692 Posts
I absolutely will not buy a new OB if this "feature" is mandatory and can't be turned off. If it's on and then can be turned off we will talk.

I drive many miles per month and it's all bumper to bumper. All of it. In a 50 mile trip I will only average 26 mph in 3 hours and if you crunch those numbers, it means I sit a lot. I'm not interested in having my car shut off and then start up again to move a car length or two and then shut off again. Doing that a dozens of times one way and then dozens of times coming back. It's not instananeous and there's a bit of hesitation and it stresses the battery, the starter, the oil stops circulating and I've yet, in many years of this new technology, ever read or heard of a single instance where the environment was saved or Mother Earth wanted to kiss me for having this feature. There are too many factors for any manufacturer to make a blanket statement on universal pollution and fuel savings outside of the lab environment.

I've driven plenty of cars and while it's all about the mileage and lack of pollution in the air while idling at a light, I will from now on downshiftt on purpose just to let the environment know I'm there and don't care much for this enhanced technology.

At some point the driving fun sort of evaporates when I, as the owner and supposedly one who has the driver's experience grin on my face, start to lament this technology that is going to save me from myself.

I understand that these CAFE and emissions goals only have to be meet at production and once I get the car I'm free to do things that decrease the mileage if I wish, whether that's a heavy foot, wider tires, stuff on the roof rack and so on but at least I have the choice. If SOA believes that taking that choice away is good for the environment vs how I actually use the car then perhaps I need to look elsewhere in a few years.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
I've driven plenty of cars and while it's all about the mileage and lack of pollution in the air while idling at a light, I will from now on downshiftt on purpose just to let the environment know I'm there and don't care much for this enhanced technology.
How is your dislike of this technology an environment's fault? If you feel so strongly about not having it, or having the option of disabling it, you would have a much better chance of getting what you want by filing a petition with Subaru, not by deliberately dumping more pollution on the environment and hoping that Subaru will notice and do something about it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,692 Posts
Subaru is going to do what they seem to be in their corporate interest when it comes to meeting EPA figures and CAFE mileage requirements and the balance, if there's one at all, is rarely in the customer's favor.

For instance, SOA is reportedly going to drop the H6 for some sort of DI engine. DI is great for performance and mileage but horrible for maintenance but with that added cost of blasting off the valves going to absorbed solely by you and me. They didn't consult us. It's all corporate numbers.

I'm a good steward of the environment but I'm not so taken in by it that the one joy in my life, other than taking off my shoes and spending some quality time on the crapper when I get home, gets to be ruined by some pencil pusher in a far away place.

I like my BBQ which people want to take away and I like burning my fossil fuels in my car and lighting a real fire from time to time. Life is meant to be lived and not left to corporate determined enjoyment.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,176 Posts
Another feature with the Subie stop start is that it only activates if you press hard on the brake pedal. If you feather the brakes the car stays running. And no it is not hooked up to the brake lights. You need to depress the brake pedal with some authority to get it to stop the engine. I can drive it without stopping the engine having not turned the system off.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
I bought my white 2018 OB 2.5i Limited 5 months ago (just 1,250 miles on it now), with 3 time typical dead battery issue. Was considering downsizing to a 2019 Forester (to make the wife happy). However, since I found out that Foresters will have standard auto start/stop, I've decided to keep my OB and just get a 800 CCA battery. I absolutely *hate* the idea the start/stop feature on the '19 Forester. From what I understand, it cannot be turned off permanently. Shame on you, Subaru!
I just had to rent 2 diff '18 foresters while my 13 OB was getting head gaskets replaced for 5 weeks.
I had a loaded one, and then I had to swap it and I got a basic one - they didnt have this so this must be new for 19.

This is extremely disappointing to hear. I will be in the market for a new car early next year and Ive already got my sights set on going to the auto show in the fall/winter here in LA to see what I want to buy next given all the major issues Ive had with my 13 OB. If this is something I have to turn off every time I start the car, it makes the OB even less of a draw to me. Maybe they will all go this way and I wont have a choice, but as long as I do - this will be a deterrent for sure.

Are they going to take away the spare tire too? I bet that is next.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,176 Posts
Turning it off is a simple push button on the dash. No big deal!!!

Reactions: Sandbag

·
Registered
44 Posts
Point is: don't know whether the electronic (logic) is different from North America and Europe, but here in Europe the start&stop is a must to try to have as less CO2 as possible.
Furthermore, about the whole set of models they are selling, EU is computing the average CO2 emitted, this is why Audi, VW, BWM are creating full electric or plugin, sell basically none of them, but this helps to lower the CO2 average.
I mean: if with the S&S they can spare 1g CO2, they will leave it enabled

Reactions: Lugsoul

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Are they going to take away the spare tire too? I bet that is next.
It's a safe bet it is or has been thought about. Our '11 Camaro has no spare, just an inflator kit. I test drove a Cadillac CTS that was equipped with run flat tires from the factory....no spare, no inflator kit.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
203 Posts
I drove a rental in Europe for a couple of weeks that had auto stop. Royal pain in the ass in city traffic. You could turn it off, but it was several menus deep, and it reset every time the ignition was turned off. The car was a manual shift, so as long as the clutch was disengaged while stopped, the engine stayed on. Clutch had to be depressed, even in neutral, to defeat the auto-stop. It's something we'll all have to get accustomed to I suspect. Beside the obvious battery issue, I also wonder about the extra wear on the starter and flywheel, etc. Starters ain't cheap or a one-beer DIY job anymore...

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
it only activates if you press hard on the brake pedal. If you feather the brakes the car stays running. And no it is not hooked up to the brake lights. You need to depress the brake pedal with some authority to get it to stop the engine. I can drive it without stopping the engine having not turned the system off.
That is the way the Chrysler system is set up as well.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Turning it off is a simple push button on the dash. No big deal!!!
It's not Auto Start/Stop that I dislike... it is the function of the button. I want the system to stay OFF until I press the button again. Not something that resets to ON every time I start the car. My wife's Jeep Cherokee has that same setup, and I forget to press the button until I make that first stop and feel that slight shudder when the engine shuts off.

My next car will be electric, so no Auto Start Stop for me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
all can be manually turned off
some change driving habits a bit to keep it from "turning on" (brake slightly less, and wiggle steering wheel)
some company makes a gizmo that plugs into the data port that "remembers's the last setting "off"
go to the merged thread from subaruforester.org for more info
i tested it on my brother in laws f150 not that intrusive
have to wait for a test drive
thank your politicians for this its so that city cycle has less emissions--its all BS anyway in real world laboratory results don't work

there are so many neat things that are coming that we as smart "car guys" can figure out
i'm really interested in the "driver alert" system
lets not be wimps about this we can figure it out probably within a week or two of the first test drive
there will be methods to defeat it, if intrusive---heard the same thing about eyesight from my first experience with laser cruise control on my POS sienna minivan, my wife absolutely WOULD not have it, required the salesman to demo how to turn it off
now she loves it and requires it for our kids driving car.
so we learn....chill

1 - 20 of 225 Posts