Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to find out some information on the auto start and stop feature of my new 2020 Outback premium. I understand why this and many new cars have this feature but my concern is the extra wear and tear on the starter. If you do not turn off this feature, your car can have as many starts in a month as it would in a whole year depending on traffic and driving. Noone has ensured me that the starter is covered beyond the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty and what is the outcome of this extra wear and tear. I love our new Subaru but I think this needs to be discussed and addressed.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,044 Posts
The technology has required them to update a lot of other components that are involved in the system.
I dont think there IS any good info on real world long term use apart from any cars that had it early on, which, may have had more primitive versions of the upgrades to other components of the system.

I hate start/stop possibly more than most on this site, at its core, I think its a dubious tech that was only a benefit to Subaru, and they have painted it to make drivers feel good about it as much as they can, which isnt much (they cant even really outwardly advertise it as some big great new thing drivers will love, if that tells you anything), and now that I have had a car that has it, I can say with some real experience that I HATE driving with it. Ive tried, at length, and I never warm to it. It never feels like it "gets less noticable with age" as some say.

THAT SAID,
It would have been really dumb for Subaru to put this system in and not made sure other components were not changed to handle it. I guess one could argue, due to the seat heater button issue, that Subaru does some dumb things, lol but I actually think this tech is built to last. Manufacturers are going to have some real class action lawsuits if is a problem as you fear, because people already hate the system, so they will be looking for a reason to push car companies away from it. If class action lawsuits outweigh the benefits they get from putting it in, maybe it will change.
But I, for one, think the involved components were upgraded to deal with it.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
328 Posts
The sense of this thread is that Subaru has done something new here. In fact they are late to the party. BMW and others have had ASS in their cars for years (I had it in a 2012 5-series).

Same concerns about excessive wear on their forums. I think that’s turned out not to be a problem anywhere. But I did find it annoying, and didn’t use it.

Not everyone likes it, but it’s here to stay. Hopefully Subaru will provide the means to turn it off permanently (if one wishes) and all will be well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The sense of this thread is that Subaru has done something new here. In fact they are late to the party. BMW and others have had ASS in their cars for years (I had it in a 2012 5-series).

Same concerns about excessive wear on their forums. I think that’s turned out not to be a problem anywhere. But I did find it annoying, and didn’t use it.

Not everyone likes it, but it’s here to stay. Hopefully Subaru will provide the means to turn it off permanently (if one wishes) and all will be well.

It’s been available in other markets starting in 2012, when it was introduced with the Impreza models in Australia.

New to this market, not too new to Subaru.

Funny they went away from the button on the dash though. That’s new.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The sense of this thread is that Subaru has done something new here. In fact they are late to the party.

Many of us are aware its not new, but...
Its still very new to a lot of people. A great many people don't change cars that often. I have endlessly been surprised here on this forum (only car forum I am on) at how often people change new cars (1-5 years), even without leasing, or it breaking.
Had some friends from Canada here last summer, and they rented a car with it - they had never heard of it. They were not amused by the start/stop driving in the LA stop and go city traffic every day.
When I was given a loaner 2019 Forester in winter 2018, everyone I had ride with me (several people) had never heard of the tech and were quite unnerved when it shut off "did your car just die?"
Since I have had this car - at least 50% of the people that get in it with me at any given time have never heard of start/stop. I usually have it off but it comes up because they ask me how I like my new Outback. Then they want to know what that is, so I turn it on, and then they scrunch up their face in disapproval when it shuts off and usually say someting like "that's annoying". lolol consistent, every time.

So yeah, its not new, but it really is still new to a lot of people. I personally have never worried about the wear and tear. I just cant imagine it not being designed to work - all involved components included. Time will tell but I doubt there will be mechanical issues on any large scale, at least not rivaling other systems that break down and become problems.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It’s been available in other markets starting in 2012, when it was introduced with the Impreza models in Australia.

New to this market, not too new to Subaru.

Funny they went away from the button on the dash though. That’s new.
I think they just really tried hard to clean it all up and put control in the screen - since the screen was such a big move itself. Though the fact that there is an empty button space on the left side of the steering wheel, it does seem kind of dumb they didn't just put it there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The horse is still alive and kicking and bugs me every time I drive my new Outback. This topic should continue to be discussed until Subaru fixes the poor implementation.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,885 Posts
The horse is still alive and kicking and bugs me every time I drive my new Outback. This topic should continue to be discussed until Subaru fixes the poor implementation.
It can and should be discussed. But I think the time has come to keep the Auto S/S discussion to the stickied thread. Creating a new thread every time a new owner discovers they don't like S/S is just going to clutter the forum.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,770 Posts
It can and should be discussed. But I think the time has come to keep the Auto S/S discussion to the stickied thread. Creating a new thread every time a new owner discovers they don't like S/S is just going to clutter the forum.
Maybe it helps getting Subaru's attention. I hear they monitor the forum.
How about one mandatory new thread per day on the poor implementation of Subaru's S/S system? :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
33 Posts
New people coming into any forum tend to start their own thread on a topic rather than look for what is already posted. I don't know why that is true but it's very common. As more 2020 Outbacks are sold it seems likely that discussion of S/S is going to increase, not decrease.

If the forum poll is representative of new Outback owners in general there are a lot more who dislike or even hate S/S than there are those who love or tolerate it.

Speaking just for myself there are topics here that don't interest me. I see that by the title and I pass by without even opening the thread, but that's just me. There are things that bug other owners that don't bother me but they paid as much or more for their car as I paid for mine and I have no problem if they want to say something doesn't meet their expectations.

Off my soapbox!

Have a good evening and an even better week!

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
If the forum poll is representative of new Outback owners in general there are a lot more who dislike or even hate S/S than there are those who love or tolerate it.
And yet people keep buying a vehicle with a feature and disable function they know they will hate...defies common sense.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
How about one mandatory new thread per day on the poor implementation of Subaru's S/S system? :)
This is my favorite post on this thread.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
33 Posts
And yet people keep buying a vehicle with a feature and disable function they know they will hate...defies common sense.
I don't believe they knew they would hate it as much as it turns out they do. No one deliberately spends that kind of money for something they hate.

Complaining about others complaints also defies common sense, yet I expect we will continue to see both. if it is discouraged or forbidden in this forum, it will still be in every other Outback discussion forum and Facebook group because it is the biggest complaint about the car. The solution to stopping all the complaints is a fix from Subaru.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven’t gotten my 2020 Legacy yet, on order, so I don’t have daily experience with this. But every time I’m in my wife’s Onyx I keep thinking that if they had implemented it with an elapsed time feature I would have no issues with it and would probably come to appreciate it. My idea would be to set it so that after a minute or maybe even a variable period it would activate and shut the engine down. Such as in heavy tradffic at a long stoplight intersection. There’s one of those near us that we encounter every day. In rush hour periods it usually takes 3 cycles or more of the light before we can make it through the intersection. Or even on the highway in heavy traffic when we come to a complete stop multiple times. In such situations I frequently turn the car off myself so an automatic feature would make sense. It’s the activation when just coming to a momentary stop at a short stoplight, or at a stop sign, or when pulling into a parking space that irritates me.

I’m curious whether a time period could be implemented by software and whether it would ever be done. Until that happens my plan is to disable it when I get my vehicle.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts