Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 99 OB 30th Ann. Limited and it's already at 200k miles. It looks and runs great for its year and mileage, but I know some pricey high mileage maintenance can pop up at any time. So I was thinking about just swapping the motor for a lower mileage one. I don't want to do a basic stock factory replacement though. I was thinking something more performance oriented like an ej20T. The problem I encounter is those are only mounted to a 5 speed manual and I want to mount it to my 6 speed auto. What's the simplest way to properly complete this swap?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,761 Posts
5 or 6 speed manual should not matter to the ecu. And you need a ecu, and guage cluster specd for that turbo 2.0. Where are you going to get a subaru 6 speed automatic?

But the big question is, will your state let you pass emissions with a non native engine and ecu. I live in NY and could only do such things with a 1990 to 96 Subaru. 96 a screwed year for odbc2, so I think that just gets a safety inspection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an asian imports store in the area I'll be sourcing for the ej20T, so I'll probably get my 6 speed there too, the 4 speed is okay, but it's slow. And I have a garage that does reputable ecu spec and tune work. I'm really looking to limit how custom I get under the hood by using original Subaru parts and knowledgable help. But any info on major problems I could encounter would be super helpful.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,761 Posts
I have an asian imports store in the area I'll be sourcing for the ej20T, so I'll probably get my 6 speed there too, the 4 speed is okay, but it's slow. And I have a garage that does reputable ecu spec and tune work. I'm really looking to limit how custom I get under the hood by using original Subaru parts and knowledgable help. But any info on major problems I could encounter would be super helpful.

subaru only had avail 4EAT and 5EAT, as far as I know and can find information on. (killed off sadly for US spec year 2015)

do you have a source that actaully says subaru made a 6 speed EAT for any market?
(outside of in house tests/concepts)....and I am not typing of CVTs with 6 fake shift points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right, my bad, I'd be upgrading to the 5eat from the 4eat and mount that to the ej20T

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,424 Posts
Your right, my bad, I'd be upgrading to the 5eat from the 4eat and mount that to the ej20T
This "20T" and 5EAT combo is likely an EJ20X combo (black-plastic intake, 4 "large" bubbles for the timing cover).

I HIGHLY recommend you do some reading on turbo-swapping that generation (BD-BG body) to get your basics covered. THEN you're up a steeper mountain if you want to continue with that engine/trans combo. Nothing about that combo will be plug-and-play with your chassis, engine management, or even fuel system. There are no currently known, standalone engine management systems for that combo either.

Unless you are a wiring, hardware tech, and mechanical wiz, you're gonna have a bad time.

However, there are simpler swap options like the using an older EJ205 or better yet, an EJ20G. Both will mate to your existing 4EAT and engine management options simplify greatly. You will still have to do your regular turbo-swap stuff (crossmember, exhaust, fuel system updating, etc).

Start reading.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,761 Posts
This "20T" and 5EAT combo is likely an EJ20X combo (black-plastic intake, 4 "large" bubbles for the timing cover).

I HIGHLY recommend you do some reading on turbo-swapping that generation (BD-BG body) to get your basics covered. THEN you're up a steeper mountain if you want to continue with that engine/trans combo. Nothing about that combo will be plug-and-play with your chassis, engine management, or even fuel system. There are no currently known, standalone engine management systems for that combo either.

Unless you are a wiring, hardware tech, and mechanical wiz, you're gonna have a bad time.

However, there are simpler swap options like the using an older EJ205 or better yet, an EJ20G. Both will mate to your existing 4EAT and engine management options simplify greatly. You will still have to do your regular turbo-swap stuff (crossmember, exhaust, fuel system updating, etc).

Start reading.
Mr Rough. just some odd food for thought.

here is a EJ20T from a JDM importer in its native body. (very early too,...so pretty experimental from subuaru)

yeah, 25 plus years old now,.
..so I would hope it would be easy to pass plug in inspection. (except maybe a tail pipe sniffer).
I live in rural upstate NY, and it would only get a safety inspection. (no plug in or pipe sniffing)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been doing some research since this post and I was wondering if the ej255 from the Forestee XT would work since it was optional with a 4aet?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Mr Rough. just some odd food for thought.

here is a EJ20T from a JDM importer in its native body. (very early too,...so pretty experimental from subuaru)

yeah, 25 plus years old now,.
..so I would hope it would be easy to pass plug in inspection. (except maybe a tail pipe sniffer).
I live in rural upstate NY, and it would only get a safety inspection. (no plug in or pipe sniffing)
There are many turbo versions of the EJ20, but none had the "T" designation. That twin turbo Legacy (GTB) is the EJ20H.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I've been doing some research since this post and I was wondering if the ej255 from the Forestee XT would work since it was optional with a 4aet?
The EJ255 and 257 (STI engine) is in the same boat as the 20X: engine management. Lots and lots of harness merging and would need to keep the OE setup to run the 4EAT.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,761 Posts
There are many turbo versions of the EJ20, but none had the "T" designation. That twin turbo Legacy (GTB) is the EJ20H.
oh I type T as generic for turbo, vs. the pokeass Naturally Aspirated 2.0 JDM things they like to push.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts