Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is my first post so sorry if its in the wrong place or whatever... New to forums. Anyway I own a 2003 OBW for a daily driver, I also have our old 2000 OBW that my wife totaled but I bought back from insurance to keep for a donor car. My brother has a 2001 Legacy L that the transmission went out in so since the AT in the 2000 OB wont work in my 2003 5MT OB I let him have it. Now we know the Legacy L and Outback have different ratios so we swapped the rear differential as well. So now this 01 Legacy has an Outback AT and rear diff.

So the issues that we are having now is that the car was shifting funny. You could drive over a hill and start speeding up w/o engine help the car should shift and allow the RPM's to drop but that wasn't the case. Or driving at higher speeds it didn't seem to have overdrive. Also the car would backfire on occasion when the RPM's were higher due to it not shifting to the higher gear. Honestly that's about it. Today we did swap the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) from the donor car and a pressure sensor thats located on the passenger side strut tower as well. Drove it and it definitely helped a lot! Still the car has a little backfire when it doesn't shift to the higher gear but not near as bad.

I guess my question is should we take the ECU from the donor car and put it in the Legacy also? What are we missing? I understand the backfire may be a different issue but we just want to make sure we are swapping everything that we need to.

Thanks for the help and sorry for posting Legacy stuff on a Outback forum but know that I am a die hard Outback man!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
the ECU and the TCU need each-other.

each are sharing data back and forth all the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts