Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6r
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The passenger side window and now the driver side window are being difficult on the 2015 3.6r.
When I press the auto up button they go up and then about 1 cm from the top they both come back to about half open. The auto up button is pretty much worthless on the passenger side. I have to move window up inch by inch for it to close. Driver side a little more accurate with the auto response. The windows move everytime I push the button they just go up and then back down.

Anyone experienced this issue or any suggestions? I took it to the dealer about 8 months ago @ 31k and they replaced the relay and the motor. It was fine for few 4-5 months. Now @ 50k both windows are doing it. I almost think the window is not fitting into the track near the uppermost corner of the window. I'll call the dealer. I just don't wanna start paying to fix it when their fixes proved inadequate 4 months later.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 3.6R
74 Posts
There is a pinch protection feature built into the auto-up feature of the power windows. If it detects resistance, the window will reverse direction, which it sounds like what yours is doing.

Your window mechanism may be binding at some point. You should first check that there is no debris in the window channels that would be causing any extra resistance and after that you can try lubricating the channels with a rubber-safe silicone lubricant. If that doesn't take care of it, then you would have to pull the door panel and that is probably best handled by the dealer.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Hi,

The passenger side window and now the driver side window are being difficult on the 2015 3.6r.
When I press the auto up button they go up and then about 1 cm from the top they both come back to about half open. The auto up button is pretty much worthless on the passenger side. I have to move window up inch by inch for it to close. Driver side a little more accurate with the auto response. The windows move everytime I push the button they just go up and then back down.

Anyone experienced this issue or any suggestions? I took it to the dealer about 8 months ago @ 31k and they replaced the relay and the motor. It was fine for few 4-5 months. Now @ 50k both windows are doing it. I almost think the window is not fitting into the track near the uppermost corner of the window. I'll call the dealer. I just don't wanna start paying to fix it when their fixes proved inadequate 4 months later.
Seems like a sensor is bad, but it does seem odd indeed.
The fix should have had a warranty on the work, a year I hope. Ask about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this happen. I made sure the track was clean first, but it still did it. Took it to the dealer and they ended up removing the door panel. Pretty simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The exact same issue is happening to my '15 OB on the passenger side. It does it when the weather is hot 90+ degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,919 Posts
I guess you've already tried reinitializing the windows like in the manual (like after battery disconnection)? Ignore if so.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
40 Posts
Purchased my '15 last week with this issue. Pissed that the dealership didn't bother to inspect the vehicle thoroughly enough to catch this. Anyways, getting a new window track installed next week. Seems to be a common issue with our cars.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Purchased my '15 last week with this issue. Pissed that the dealership didn't bother to inspect the vehicle thoroughly enough to catch this. Anyways, getting a new window track installed next week. Seems to be a common issue with our cars.
The same problem was/Is in my Lexus. The mechanism has been changed but the problem came back within 4 months. I am not sure if dealer knew what the problem was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R, Tungsten Metallic, Black Rhino Boxers, BF Goodrich KO'2,Chrome tips, yellow lamin-x fog light film.
105 Posts
I had this same issue in my 15 a few months ago.
I had some battery issues and the dealer said it was related. Put in a new battery but the issue was still there. However after a few weeks it just disappeared and started working again.
Theirs a thread somewhere about it.

·
Registered
outback 08
5 Posts
This is happening to me. Has been like it for over a year now. Never happened in the winter. Only when it's warm. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it last year.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
All modern cars have range of movement memory switches on windows and sunroof. Power loss or heavy load on the window while opening or closing can cause the switch to more or less forget the full open vs full closed range of movement. This is common across all brands related to the anti trap requirements on modern cars. Typically to reset this you open all the way plus one added press full down to set the full open range, then you trigger the auto up single click after the window stops you then complete the close from where it automatically stopped this completes the full closed range of movement the switch commits this to memory and your done. You might need to do this sporadically through out the life of the car but it shouldn’t be a constant problem. I’ve had to do this twice on our Mercedes, once on the 2010 subaru windows and three times on the sun roof in the 8 yrs we have had the Subaru.

Once on my Toyota

·
Registered
70 Posts
if i were to take an educated guess, given all my experiences with the 2 late model subarus i own - something was not designed sufficiently and is triggering the pinch protection. whether the window has shifted on its mounts on the track or whether the pinch sensor is faulty i am not sure.

i’ve gone thru the power loss drill and held up the switches for more than a second after closing windows.

i have noticed that my front windows do continue ‘creeping’ downwards after a partial roll down and letting go of the window switches. so something is not right.

similar situations in the past where there is clearly a problem somewhere but subaru wont admit it in order to avoid incurring recall costs. just put the parts in the cars and cross-fingers, they will deal with cases as they materialize.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,180 Posts
Did you read the owners manual how to 'calibrate' the windows? Did you follow the instructions?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
if i were to take an educated guess, given all my experiences with the 2 late model subarus i own - something was not designed sufficiently and is triggering the pinch protection. whether the window has shifted on its mounts on the track or whether the pinch sensor is faulty i am not sure.

i’ve gone thru the power loss drill and held up the switches for more than a second after closing windows.

i have noticed that my front windows do continue ‘creeping’ downwards after a partial roll down and letting go of the window switches. so something is not right.

similar situations in the past where there is clearly a problem somewhere but subaru wont admit it in order to avoid incurring recall costs. just put the parts in the cars and cross-fingers, they will deal with cases as they materialize.
The window track inside the door can cause that if its not aligned correctly causing heavy drag on the window as it moved up/down. Its not a model specific issue it’s something that isn’t common but does happen. A dealer will replace the window mechanism if thats the case. Its not a recall thing but faulty window slide is known to do this regardless of brand.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
597 Posts
Every time that has happened it served as a reminder to get out the can of silicone spray and to go around to every window and the sunroof and spray the felt or rubber edges where the glass contacts the frame. Roll the windows down and take an old toothbrush to knock any crud out of the tracks. Then spray the tracks with silicone (bathe them) and take the edge of a paper towel and wipe them out to remove the goo and blackness. Then give them a final spray down.

There is a sensor that detects motor current; If it is too much the motor will stop and reverse in its tracks. Here is a funny video that backfired on Ford when they put it on TV.

Reactions: kdl and Athens4life

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,234 Posts
if you point me to the page where the calibration is, i could tell you whether or not i've read it.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts