Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, Mr118 17" Michelin Defender T+H 225/65r17
32 Posts
My passenger side window goes to top then comes straight back down half way. This only happens when the vehicle is running. When the car is not running and the ignition is on it works perfectly. Strange

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the 7 month revival, my 17 Limited has been doing this off and on with the passenger side front window for the two years I've owned it. I've always been able to coax it closed in the past and it would work fine for a few months before playing up again. Yesterday it did this again, where it stops just short of fully closed and lowers to halfway open. I tried the reset maneuver like the dealer showed me and is described earlier in this thread but it kept up the same behaviour. After reading through this thread, I applied a generous application of silicone spray directly into the front and rear channels and the window closed on the first try as well as repeated tries. I feel like this is a bit of a band-aid on the underlying issue, be it a sticky mechanism or bad/uncalibrated sensor as this only happens on this window. Has anyone found out what component actually meters the window closing force and triggers the reversal?

·
Registered
70 Posts
your timing isnt bad ...
i got a quote from my dealer a few weeks ago ($600 !)
told me its the regulator that needs replacement.
not paying what i was quoted, can do the work myself for 1/3 the cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah that is salty.. It seems odd to me that a regulator would go bad that soon? Could it be the lifting mechanism is a hair too tight in places or lacking proper lubrication from the factory to the point it crosses the safety threshold? I watched the video from A1 Auto here where they replace the regulator on a gen 4 but he adds a new layer of grease to all the tracks and teeth before reinstalling. I'm wondering if this is what mine (and yours?) needs to take a bit more stress off of things. Furthermore, is white lithium grease the best choice? The guy in this video uses a extreme pressure molybdenum grease for the teeth followed by silicone for the tracks. If mine continues to act up, this will be the next step I take before replacement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
to me, technically, it seems like a sensor is getting tripped. whether that is due to increased friction or a defective sensor, not sure.
based on what i am seeing, it is only happening with the front passenger side.
so some things i would look at, is that particular regulator made by the same manufacturer as the others, what is different about it vs the other 3 in the car, or maybe some external issue like dirt/debris is higher in that door for some reason.

what i have noticed that i dont like about subaru legacy - the window moisture wipers on the door windows do not do anything to wipe moisture off the windows when they are rolled, so moisture is going inside the doors.

never seen that phenomenon, at least not with the 2 german cars i’ve owned.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,816 Posts
Has anyone found out what component actually meters the window closing force and triggers the reversal?
The window control module monitors the current drawn by each motor as it operates. The current draw increases abruptly when a motor stalls as its window encounters an obstacle, and sensing that current spike triggers the reverse. The well-documented window initialization procedure serves to "teach" the window control module the normal and stalled current draw for each individual window motor.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
is that procedure different from that used to reset the auto up/down function due to battery disconnect (repairs, etc) ?
The Owners Manual (~p. 2-37) calls it "Initialization of power window."

·
Registered
4 Posts
So if it's based solely on the draw value produced by the initialization procedure, we could assume a flawed regulator teaches it a narrow set of values? Just spit-balling, I'm curious if there's a static maximum draw value programmed in that supersedes the learned range. I only say this as in doing the procedure, the window would still reverse itself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
this procedure that was mentioned is something I've done at least 3 times in the past, due to disconnecting my battery to work on the car.

If, indeed, the motor power draw is changing, then there's something wrong along the lines of what I pointed out.
otherwise, if the dealer advised the regulator needs to be replaced (on pain of trusting this dealer's advice), then the regulator must have some defective part.

i would not mind spending the $150-$175 on a new regulator, installing it and seeing what happens. a better prospect than paying the dealer to wave a magic wand for $600.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
If, indeed, the motor power draw is changing ...
That's a characteristic of virtually all electric motors: load increases, power consumption increases.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if that is the case, then its probably the source of the problem.

but why have i only so far heard of it on front passenger side windows ....

all the windows should have similar or identical motors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed. Our Gen Outbacks moved to a cable actuated design from the scissor type of the previous gen. My guess is the passenger door regulators were manufactured with a minor defect that makes them run a bit tighter, or weren't lubricated sufficiently from the factory. I plan on getting some silicone grease like in the video I posted earlier to lubricate the slides, as well as the cables. If you do end up removing yours, would you be willing to post pics of the appearance of the unit??

Update 1/7/2020: I sprayed silicone spray directly into the tracks in late October and so far it hasn't had a hiccup. I haven't touched the actual mechanism as of yet so hopefully it won't come to that.

Update 4/27/2020: Still not a single issue since spraying silicone in the window tracks last October. I'll refrain from further edits going forward until I experience this issue again.

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This issue is happening with my 2016 Outback. Last week the passenger side window malfunctioned when rolling up. Get to the top and roll halfway down automatically. Thought it was because my daughter and I were both attempting to roll up the window at the same time. Took a few tries and it finally rolled up. Fast forward to yesterday, my drivers side window did the same thing. However after multiple attempts it would not roll up. Got home pulled out the manual and started troubleshooting. Battery was replace over a year ago, did not have any issues until now. Walked through and completed the reset process and it worked 1 time to roll it up. When tested to see if it would work again it started the malfunction all over again. Completed the process 2 more times same results. Will get some lubricant today to see if that will correct the issue. Any suggestions on a particular brand?

·
Registered
70 Posts
i found that if you stop the window just before it closes fully, then pull up on the switch to close it, it will not auto roll down.

this is a defective window regulator assembly and you can probably get it from ebay for less than 150.

i personally would not spend the money, in case subaru goes and issues a notice about it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

The passenger side window and now the driver side window are being difficult on the 2015 3.6r.
When I press the auto up button they go up and then about 1 cm from the top they both come back to about half open. The auto up button is pretty much worthless on the passenger side. I have to move window up inch by inch for it to close. Driver side a little more accurate with the auto response. The windows move everytime I push the button they just go up and then back down.

Anyone experienced this issue or any suggestions? I took it to the dealer about 8 months ago @ 31k and they replaced the relay and the motor. It was fine for few 4-5 months. Now @ 50k both windows are doing it. I almost think the window is not fitting into the track near the uppermost corner of the window. I'll call the dealer. I just don't wanna start paying to fix it when their fixes proved inadequate 4 months later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i found that if you stop the window just before it closes fully, then pull up on the switch to close it, it will not auto roll down.

this is a defective window regulator assembly and you can probably get it from ebay for less than 150.

i personally would not spend the money, in case subaru goes and issues a notice about it
Same with my 2015 outback. Dealer told me debris in switch. Worked fine couple of months. Malfunctioning today

·
Registered
70 Posts
i chanced on a regulator on ebay and decided to buy it.
new oem subaru part, $60.

for that price, not complaining at all. in fact, the difference between this cost and my time vs what my dealer quoted me is 10x literally.

that angers me enough to go online and give the dealer a bad rap.

i stopped going to them for my needs after that last visit where i got the quote i mentioned here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A few months ago I came down to my 2019 Outback to find the rear drivers window opened around 12", and there was a pretty heavy rainstorm the night before.
I wouldn't have opened the window the previous night because it was raining hard, I might have been a victim of this wonderful feature.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts