Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll repeat my fix. It only happen on really hot days when I'd open the window to cool the car as I drove off. The window rubber seal was sticky and right as the window would hit the top, it would grab a little. Once I cleaned the rubber seal/gasket and it wasn't sticky on hot days, the problem went away. Much easier than opening the door and lubing the tracks. I'm assuming a dirty handed tech grabbed that area getting in and out of the car since it didn't do it new.
i can not say that i have a 'sticky' window seal as you described it, in other words I don't have that problem with the window seals on my Legacy.

I've experienced the problem in cold ambient environments, not just warm/hot.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,841 Posts
do me the courtesy and do not post if you are going to amp up the sarcasm on my comments.

Maybe you could also answer in your best judgement and based on your opinion .... why is this only happening with only one out of four power windows on subarus, in particular the front passenger side ?
Well, which is it? If you are going to get snarky about advice that you don't like then be ready for a little harmless sarcasm in return.

My opinion? Cheaper and cheaper electronics supplied by the lowest bidder to manufacture products that people purchase based on the lowest cost rather than highest quality. Then more sensitive safeties built in to protect said cheap electronics from burning up when they meet resistance. You could search for high-quality replacement motors, eliminate whatever cutouts are built in to the system to stop the motor when it meets resistance, or try a cheap and easy fix first-a little lube.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,814 Posts
So I poked around a little with mine tonight:

It doesn't seem to be incline based. I parked nose up, nose down, banked left, and banked right on my driveway and couldn't get it to do it. I tested each one about a dozen times.

Honey, the neighbor is parking his car sideways and watching the windows roll up and down again...

I am not sure. I did notice that the window seems to have some play when half open/closed. Both driver/passenger front windows I can move some while in the half open position.

However, when watching the windows close I notice the passenger side goes up and BACK at the last second. Only around a 1/2" back but the drivers side only seems to go up. It's easier to see this if there is something on the window glass like say, mud.

It's possible this is the cause of the problem but until I can get it to do it every time it's going to be difficult to diagnose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I poked around a little with mine tonight:

It doesn't seem to be incline based. I parked nose up, nose down, banked left, and banked right on my driveway and couldn't get it to do it. I tested each one about a dozen times.

Honey, the neighbor is parking his car sideways and watching the windows roll up and down again...

I am not sure. I did notice that the window seems to have some play when half open/closed. Both driver/passenger front windows I can move some while in the half open position.

However, when watching the windows close I notice the passenger side goes up and BACK at the last second. Only around a 1/2" back but the drivers side only seems to go up. It's easier to see this if there is something on the window glass like say, mud.

It's possible this is the cause of the problem but until I can get it to do it every time it's going to be difficult to diagnose.
interesting that you considered it may be influenced by vehicle poise on the ground .... i didn't think the car would be smart enough to make distinctions for longitudinal or lateral angle on the ground (the closest thing i can think of is auto-leveling headlights ... if your car has xenon headlights maybe it also has auto-leveling motors).

when closing the passenger front window, if the window rolls back down on it's own, this is how I see it on my car:

1. window is rolled down by some amount (random).
2. pull all the way up on the window switch and release, regardless of it being the driver's door switch or passenger door switch.
3. window rolls all the way up to the top/near fully closed.
4. comes back down automatically to around the 1/2 way open position.

this observation is consistent every time it happens that's what i see.

the way i usually overcome it and fully close the window, is to stop it from fully closing (closer to the top), then pull and hold the window switch.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,814 Posts
Mine did it again today RIGHT as I pulled the driveway after work.

I was moving and turning into the driveway at around 5 mph. Went up then came back down.

It hasn't done it since the last time I reported doing it.

Since it was already down I walked inside and grabbed some Q tips and cleaned the inside of the track.

It was dirty but no major obvious clogs. Took around 10 Q tips and just used isopropyl alcohol.

I'm sure that lubricating it works but I figured at this point I wouldn't mind to find other methods.

It's tough to diagnose since it's so intermittent on mine.

I will continue reporting.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Mine did it again today RIGHT as I pulled the driveway after work.

I was moving and turning into the driveway at around 5 mph. Went up then came back down.

It hasn't done it since the last time I reported doing it.

Since it was already down I walked inside and grabbed some Q tips and cleaned the inside of the track.

It was dirty but no major obvious clogs. Took around 10 Q tips and just used isopropyl alcohol.

I'm sure that lubricating it works but I figured at this point I wouldn't mind to find other methods.

I never could figure it out on my 2017 (rear passenger window). Was intermittent, and I’d have to watch that window specifically when rolling it up.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,814 Posts
I never could figure it out on my 2017 (rear passenger window). Was intermittent, and I’d have to watch that window specifically when rolling it up.
It's the front passenger window on mine in case I hadn't mentioned.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Silicon spray, on rubber, should allow the glass to slide easily, at that point and protect the rubber.

Does it get all the way up before reversing? @ what point does it reverse? Consistently @ the same point?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,814 Posts
Silicon spray, on rubber, should allow the glass to slide easily, at that point and protect the rubber.

Does it get all the way up before reversing? @ what point does it reverse? Consistently @ the same point?
It looks like it goes to the top then changes it's mind at the last minute.

I've only caught it a few times but others seem to have it happen every time the window closes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
So, what's supposed to stop it? The top of the door? Sensor in the door? Measurement?

'Have you reset that doors switch?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,814 Posts
So, what's supposed to stop it? The top of the door? Sensor in the door? Measurement?

'Have you reset that doors switch?
Like twenty times.

If you put your hand in the way of the driver door window and hit the auto up button when the glass detects an object (your hand) it retracts.

I imagine something similar is happening to the passenger side but it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Like twenty times.

If you put your hand in the way of the driver door window and hit the auto up button when the glass detects an object (your hand) it retracts.

I imagine something similar is happening to the passenger side but it's hard to tell.
OK, had to ask.
Interesting, thanks.
So, you up for the silicon test? I really think this could help to solve your mystery.
Also, just came to me...... wonder if your rubber is fully in the chanel? ...or if during manuf, some residual rubber was/wasn't cut that makes it just "a bit thicker" towards the top. Just that bit more restriction for the window motor to sense and do it's thing.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,814 Posts
OK, had to ask.
Interesting, thanks.
So, you up for the silicon test? I really think this could help to solve your mystery.
Also, just came to me...... wonder if your rubber is fully in the chanel? ...or if during manuf, some residual rubber was/wasn't cut that makes it just "a bit thicker" towards the top. Just that bit more restriction for the window motor to sense and do it's thing.
I'm pretty sure lubrication will fix it as others have reported.

I was just seeing if I could find an alternative.

The channel had a few bumps in it I could feel with the Q tips but nothing major.

My other issue is mine doesn't always do it.

It's only maybe 1 out of 25? 1 out of 50? 1 out of 100? times.

Enough that I forget about it until it happens.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yea, hate it when that happens!

OK, I'm just thinking that the bumps could be "just enuf".

QUESTION: What sensor is it, that causes this problem? Is it in the motor? ...or elsewhere? I'm just thinking that whatever it is may be out of spec in this regard. Just a little restriction feels like a ton, to the sensor. Your thoughts? (or is this something that you don't want to waste a lot of "grey matter" on?)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Touring 2.5 Lapis Blue owner
18 Posts
Several questions.
1/ Is there any way to turnoff the auto feature ?
2/Is it possible to by pass the wiring to the switch so it's like the rear windows ?
3/ why don't we have a class action on this with so many affected cars ?
4/ Is it possible to remove the safety sensor ?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
90 Posts
Mine is usually the driver's side and it reverses just as it hits the top. And usually only on really hot days when I lower the window to air the car out as I drive away. On mine, I did find some sticky stuff on the weatherstriping and cleaning that off changed it from happening all the time to just occasionally. And before it was a pain to get the window up and now I just hit the button a second time and it closes. I only wiped mine clean and that was last summer. So I'll get a good cleaner out this time. I'd like to avoid any lube that might leave residue on the glass, but might try that later.

In fact, I seem to remember the sticky stuff showing up after a service visit for the fuel gauge recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this problem on my 2016 3.6R Outback. Last week we were in Steamboat Springs, Colorado and I stopped at Cook Subaru. I asked Daryl in the service dept. if they ever had this problem. He called one of his techs out who had fixed this. He pulled the rubber track on my passenger window out and showed me a build up on the back side of the gasket where the little black pilar of the small triangle fixed window reaches the window. At that little bend of the gasket he cleaned out extra build up on the back of the gasket. That worked perfectly and I haven’t had one problem with the auto feature of the passenger window since. Hope this helps everyone else. I forgot to ask him if he had ever notified Subaru of this fix ‘cause I know several people have had this problem.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,438 Posts
I have had this problem on my 2016 3.6R Outback. Last week we were in Steamboat Springs, Colorado and I stopped at Cook Subaru. I asked Daryl in the service dept. if they ever had this problem. He called one of his techs out who had fixed this. He pulled the rubber track on my passenger window out and showed me a build up on the back side of the gasket where the little black pilar of the small triangle fixed window reaches the window. At that little bend of the gasket he cleaned out extra build up on the back of the gasket.
Are you talking about this spot?

That worked perfectly and I haven’t had one problem with the auto feature of the passenger window since. Hope this helps everyone else. I forgot to ask him if he had ever notified Subaru of this fix ‘cause I know several people have had this problem.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. If this is the root cause of the problems we're hearing about, this information will really help some people!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have had this problem on my 2016 3.6R Outback. Last week we were in Steamboat Springs, Colorado and I stopped at Cook Subaru. I asked Daryl in the service dept. if they ever had this problem. He called one of his techs out who had fixed this. He pulled the rubber track on my passenger window out and showed me a build up on the back side of the gasket where the little black pilar of the small triangle fixed window reaches the window. At that little bend of the gasket he cleaned out extra build up on the back of the gasket. That worked perfectly and I haven’t had one problem with the auto feature of the passenger window since. Hope this helps everyone else. I forgot to ask him if he had ever notified Subaru of this fix ‘cause I know several people have had this problem.
This is so crucial and I've seen/heard (locally even) many reports about this problem. Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Interesting that this "spot" is getting more runoff. I installed the window shades and wonder if this will minimize the problem. Guess I should clean the gasket anyhow. Always best to deal with critical spots before they become a problem.

Were there not other spots, rear pass, that were also having an issue? Seems I saw/read about Tourings that had the auto feature for the rears windows doing this? 19's or 20's?

81 - 100 of 101 Posts