Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
This is so crucial and I've seen/heard (locally even) many reports about this problem. Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Interesting that this "spot" is getting more runoff. I installed the window shades and wonder if this will minimize the problem. Guess I should clean the gasket anyhow. Always best to deal with critical spots before they become a problem.

Were there not other spots, rear pass, that were also having an issue? Seems I saw/read about Tourings that had the auto feature for the rears windows doing this? 19's or 20's?
2018 had that available (all 4 auto up/down). My 2017 rear passenger would roll back down a little bit if you didn’t watch it... it was not auto up/down... even holding the switch and rolling one up this can happen.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
371 Posts
This guy just excoriates Subaru for their window electronics engineering. I agree, the parts are cheaply made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

The passenger side window and now the driver side window are being difficult on the 2015 3.6r.
When I press the auto up button they go up and then about 1 cm from the top they both come back to about half open. The auto up button is pretty much worthless on the passenger side. I have to move window up inch by inch for it to close. Driver side a little more accurate with the auto response. The windows move everytime I push the button they just go up and then back down.

Anyone experienced this issue or any suggestions? I took it to the dealer about 8 months ago @ 31k and they replaced the relay and the motor. It was fine for few 4-5 months. Now @ 50k both windows are doing it. I almost think the window is not fitting into the track near the uppermost corner of the window. I'll call the dealer. I just don't wanna start paying to fix it when their fixes proved inadequate 4 months later.
I have this same problem with my front passenger side window. Tried that resetting thing to no avail. I cleaned the rubber gasket the window rolls up into. No help. I then took out my bike chain dry lube, applied it to a cue tip, and rubbed in into the gasket channel. It now appears to work fine but I'm still waiting to see for how long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 3.6 limited does the same thing. As the window just gets to the top I can actually see if shift slightly when getting to the top of the frame. It goes back down halfway but my work around is to do quick little bursts of the passenger window switch until it's up. Does the trick. But I would like to know if there's a fix.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My 2017 3.6 limited does the same thing. As the window just gets to the top I can actually see if shift slightly when getting to the top of the frame. It goes back down halfway but my work around is to do quick little bursts of the passenger window switch until it's up. Does the trick. But I would like to know if there's a fix.
Clean ALL your rubber tracks. Read back, a couple pages, in this thread and you'll read what people have used.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have this same problem with my front passenger side window. Tried that resetting thing to no avail. I cleaned the rubber gasket the window rolls up into. No help. I then took out my bike chain dry lube, applied it to a cue tip, and rubbed in into the gasket channel. It now appears to work fine but I'm still waiting to see for how long.
But, cleaning these rubber parts can keep them from preme failure.

Oooooo, good idea. I have some silicon based chain lube. Have it if I need it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey everyone. After struggling with this problem for a year I finally found the fix. No taking apart anything or window lube required. Turn on your engine, then roll down your passenger side front window all the way and continue holding down the switch for over 5 seconds. Then immediately roll it all the way up and once it closes, hold it again for 5 seconds. That should do it. I knew about resetting the windows after disconnecting the battery but didn’t realize this would work for this problem. You HAVE to do it front the passenger side front window for some reason. Let me know if it worked for you!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Read my last post right above this, I think I found the fix.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well nevermind... it worked for about half an hour and now it’s doing the same thing, super strange. Very frustrating.
Bummmmmmmmmer......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
SUCCESS!
This just happened now to our 2016 Subaru Outback. The window well had no debris and resetting the power window buttons didn’t work. Once we looked carefully, it appeared the window pane was tilted inwards just slightly. Pressing against the window while the window was going up did the trick!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay guys I finally fixed mine. All I did was spray silicone lube into the tracks with the window rolled all the way down (Home Depot automotive section $3) and then cleaned the tracks with a cue tip. Got a bunch of dirt and grime out and now the window works perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,608 Posts
No pool cues at Home Depot?

·
Registered
36 Posts
another success story for the clean and lube approach. can't guarantee it won't start doing weird stuff in the future, but the last 2 weeks have had no issues. I'll go through the rest of the tracks, you can see the lubed window move faster. Worth the couple dollars and the handful of minutes.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
371 Posts
Subaru needs to take a step back and make sure they demand quality parts from their suppliers. Creaky seat frames, jammed windows, failed head units, broken rear hatch motors, etc. All on one model of one year of one vehicle.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts