Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front review mirror went half "milky" like in the glass. It needs to be replaced. Has anyone replaced theirs? Wondering if I can do this myself by popping off the review mirror from the holder without disturbing the wiring. Looks the the wiring can be unplugged. I was hoping to find a review mirror at the salvage yard. Anyone have suggestions?

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Welcome to the forums Lois. . . I'll try to keep the Family Guy references to a minimum in my replies but I can't make any promises for other forum members. . . @eagleeye.

Quite a few threads on the subject, so I [STRIKE]should probably make a sticky[/STRIKE] made this thread a sticky as it does come up from time to time. Here's a summary:

-yes, you can replace it with a junkyard mirror. Doesn't even have to be from a Subaru (more on that in a bit)
-yes, you can unplug it without disturbing anything else. The wire harness only goes a short distance up into the headliner and attaches to a harness near the dome light. . . but it unplugs from the back of the mirror just fine. If you want another autodimming mirror, you'll need that harness. If not, just tuck it up into the headliner.

There are 2 different mirror mounts used on 2nd gen Outbacks. . . cam mount and wedge mount. if yours is 00-02 or so, it'll be cam mount. Sometime around 03/04 they switched to wedge mount. Wedge mount autodimming mirrors are a LOT easier to find in good condition. Most every cam mount I've seen has "glass rot" (looks like a calculator screen after you stepped on it).

Pics of the two mounting systems:

Cam mount mirrors can be removed without tools, just twist them sideways at the base and they'll come off. Wedge mount requires you loosen a screw and slide it up off the "tombstone" mount on the windshield.

If yours is cam mount and you need to switch to wedge mount, there's a little $10 adapter kit you can buy at the dealer to switch it over. it looks like this:

and the part no is H501SSA040.

Yes, the dealer is the cheapest place to buy it. I found a few on Amazon but after shipping they're still over $10. Both dealers in my area stock this kit, I would be surprised if that weren't the case at most of them.

Moving along, there are also a couple of different connectors commonly used. . .long flat or small rectangle (my terms, don't bother searching for those):

Yours is long flat. . looks like this:

And many, many mirrors you find will have that connector if they're 2006-down. After that they went to the small rectangle connector. . . but if all you can find are the rectangle ones, you can snip off and replace the connector, or probably just buy the whole harness on ebay or from Subaru. You can buy "pigtail" harnesses on ebay for a few bucks that will have the mirrror connector and about 12" of wire if you want to DIY it.

Now, where to find the mirror? ebay, junkyard, Amazon, etc. There are a few different options out there. . . with/without compass, with/without homelink, with/without map lights, with/without Onstar, etc, and if your pockets are deep enough, you can buy a kit with a backup camera screen built in. Not really necessary for the Outback as I've never felt like I had visibility issues backing up, but different strokes. I find the compass and Homelink options to be useful, the rest not so much.

Here are some nice ikea-style instructions scanned from one of the mirror kits over on the Forester forums. . . also includes instructions for how to install the mirror adapter (which are not included with it but it's not too bad to figure out):

Do I need an adapter to attach my homelink PHYSICALLY ? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
28 Posts
Also worth mentioning, the oily mirrors are Donnelly, the ones that don't fail are Gentex, which uses a different dimming technology, so it's best to use Gentex mirrors.

·
Registered
2001 Outback limited Sedan 2.5 Auto trans
30 Posts
I lucked out and found one at Pull-a-part in Cleveland. I tried to convince the clerk that it was a standad mirror, which sells for $6.50, but she knew that it was the Premium, which was $24.95. Still an awesome price.
I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Lol easy there old man Jenkins. . .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just wondering how to make the temp readings work. Mine currently says 0C.

I read up on how to program the locations based on the 12 or so geographical areas.
Just wondering. If it doesnt work, not really a big deal. I tried holding the buttons
and all I got was an F* for fahrenheit I assume.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Where did you source the mirror from? Most Subarus have an outside temp indicator located either in the dash or HVAC controls, but not in the mirror (at least not what i've seen through 09). Some of the other makes put it there but to make it work you'd need to wire up a sensor for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where did you source the mirror from? Most Subarus have an outside temp indicator located either in the dash or HVAC controls, but not in the mirror (at least not what i've seen through 09). Some of the other makes put it there but to make it work you'd need to wire up a sensor for it.

Got it from Ebay, its probably from a slightly newer outback (2003-4?).
the plug still fits in the back. The compass works, idk if its accurate.
I have a 2000 outback limited so im sure it has all the goodies.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can buy a temp sensor kit for it but as far as I know no 2nd gen ever had temp display in the mirror. Compass, yes. . temp, nope. Might have come from a Nissan or something similar. Gentex/Donneley built mirrors for a lot of OEM's.

You'd need this:

Gentex 177 Wiring Sensor Kit for Mirror w Compass Temperature Upgrade | eBay
Huhh..thats weird. I'm probably not going to buy anything extra.
Just wanted to see if it was user error. Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazon ( or other) Links Please??

Looking to order online for a good replacement mirror, $30-$50?? Worried about ordering the wrong one and Amazon isn't being helpful.
An online link to the conversion kit would be nice too!

TY, Bob- 02 OB

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
You can source the mirror from just about anything provided it has the correct harness (long flat) or you don't mind changing the wire harness. You can get the cam to wedge adapter at your local dealer for about $10 but if you prefer to order online and pay shipping, here you go:

Subaru. #H501SSA040: Auto-Dim Mirror w/Compass and Homelink Adapter 12

There is a brand new autodimming mirror in the classifieds right now for $60 shipped.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/275474-new-gen-3-auto-dimming-compass-mirror.html

·
Registered
'02 Outback LTD.
139 Posts
I have the 7 pin connector on my OB, & only the first 3 are wired. Is the Gentex 177 & 455 a plug & play option?

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
500 Posts
if you are in a yard looks at the ones in Chrysler cars like Sebring LXI, 300c, jeep compass and patriot etc even much older cars like Intrepid and 300m have mirrors that are compatibles if you don't need compass/outdoor temp

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
500 Posts
Hopefully someone sees this before the auction is over. Does the below work on a 2001 Outback? Mirror is from a 2004 Sebring. Thanks!

Original GNTX 221 Rear View Mirror Auto Dimming LED Map Light IE13010404 | eBay
they share the same connector
this one is from a convertible, only the convertibles have lights in them
not sure if the Outback support lights and compass/exterior temp
lights could be easy to add, you just need to supply power at the right pin

this is a Chrysler Sebring autodim that I installed in my summer fun car I have a second one that I will install in the Outback soon

·
Registered
2001 Outback LL Bean and 2016 Outback 3.6R Wilderness Green
82 Posts
AlainB, I just replaced the harness and plug the GNTX 221 Rear View Mirror Auto Dimming LED Map Light IE13010404 in. It won't turn on. I plug my old mirror back in and power is going to the old mirror. The seller of this mirror said the mirror works. I am wondering if the lights on this "new" mirror is causing the problem. The mirror didn't come with any wires (I didn't realized that when I bought it). What do I have to do to make sure there is power reaching the autodim components of the "new" mirror? We don't care about the compass part of it. Thanks!

they share the same connector
this one is from a convertible, only the convertibles have lights in them
not sure if the Outback support lights and compass/exterior temp
lights could be easy to add, you just need to supply power at the right pin

this is a Chrysler Sebring autodim that I installed in my summer fun car I have a second one that I will install in the Outback soon

1 - 20 of 42 Posts