Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2020 Outback Touring XT. Is there a shortcut button I can press to disable Eyesight controls when I go through a fully automated car wash? It would be really helpful if I could press a CAR WASH button!

Right now I figure I have to go through all the following steps in my car each time I go through a car wash. Anyone know an easier method?

CARWASH SHUT OFFS
Click SHORTCUTS on second main screen
Click CAR SETTINGS (shortcut I installed )
Click EYESIGHT (top menu)
1.Slide PRE-COLLISION BRAKING tab on top to
OFF
Then close PRE-COLLISION BRAKING screen
Go back to last screen with EYESIGHT on top
Slide scroll bar down to.
2.AUTO VEHICLE HOLD (AVH ) move tab to OFF
3.Slide AUTO START/STOP tab to OFF
4.Turn BSD/ RCTA tab to OFF
That is the Blind Spot Detection and Rear cross traffic alert

TURN ALL ON AGAIN WHEN LEAVING CARWASH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what about all the newer eyesight controls now on the 2020? Maybe you are right . I’d like to hear that from a 2020 owner as well. Or from Subaru . Here’s hoping 🤞

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
88 Posts
I've had our 2020 through an automated carwash without doing anything. It was the type where the car stays in one spot while the spray nozzles move around & around the car.

The lane recognition stuff didn't freak out, probably because the car wasn't moving.

Our car doesn't have the no-hands motorized tailgate, so I don't know about that part.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Best thing to do is NOT take your car through an automated car wash - especially if you value your paint finish.
+1, not using an automated car wash seems like the obvious solution.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
True, but an automated wash does in 3 minutes what I do in 30...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best thing to do is NOT take your car through an automated car wash - especially if you value your paint finish.
But I just got rid of a three year old car that took to this automated car wash weekly and it looked as good as new. I have a great unlimited use car wash nearby which costs less to use than monthly washes that I used to do. They keep my car always looking new.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,546 Posts
True, but an automated wash does in 3 minutes what I do in 30...
It will never be as good as what you do by hand in 30 mins. our Cars never go through an automated wash...ever!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
88 Posts
You guys are never going to convince each other. So what about your favorite automatic car wash? Do you stop the car while the nozzles move around? Or does the car have to drive through it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will never be as good as what you do by hand in 30 mins. our Cars never go through an automated wash...ever!
Jim, Actually Scooby doo is correct!!! For years and years I always washed and waxed my own car and vacuumed and treated the tires. I even used to use Brillo pads on my father's 1960-1975 Buick's Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles! But at my age washing the car has become harder and harder for my back . So though Scooby Doo is right, I choose to keep my self from pain and use the unlimited car wash near me. They take extra good care of the interior ( before Covid that is) and treat my car like it is their own.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
88 Posts
Actually I'm not a fan of car washes. Washing it myself gives me a good excuse to look for stone chips that need to be touched up. But everybody's situation is different.

I had a garage with hot & cold water and a floor drain, so I could wash the cars all winter. Kids moved away, job closed down, and I moved; so now I can't wash inside the garage in winter.

The carwash I use doesn't have any brushes that touch the car - only spray nozzles. It doesn't scratch, but it doesn't do a perfect job either.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,929 Posts
Touchless car washes are OK, except if you have loose paint, loose trim, etc, and especially if there are any rust holes. Of course, those would be old cars, not newer ones.

Automatic car washes that touch the car with brushes, pads, strips, can all easlily do damage to the paint and things like mirrors, wipers, etc. , never mind that if a brush or pad picks up a rock or metal chip from the car before you, it can gouge the paint right down to the metal. The aggressiveness of the brushes, etc, will also wear off the top layers of the paint much faster than proper hand washing.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,703 Posts
I don't have a lot of desire to hand wash my car in sub-freezing temperatures in the winter so automatic car washes are a necessary evil. Plus a good underbody flush to get the salt off of the underside of the car is probably more important than how clean the exterior paint surfaces get. Unfortunately for me the touchless car wash that is most convenient for me and that does the best surface wash doesn't have a good underbody flush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regardless , the technical folks at Subaru should have thought about a simple solution to turning off all eyesight controls with one simple button. Someone on their staff should have thought about that. The steps I have to go thru to do an automatic car wash are insane !

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
44 Posts
Car wash opinions aside, it does sound majorly annoying to have to dive through so many menus just to enable "car wash mode." I rarely use a car wash, but on the occasion that I do I get annoyed pressing and holding the 2 or 3 buttons to disable eyesight on my '17. But at least I can do that without looking! It might be worthwhile to write a letter to Subaru explaining the problem and asking for a "car wash mode" or "eyesight disable" shortcut that does all those steps for you. It likely won't help your situation (or if they do come out with an update, it'll be a while), but it might cause them to rethink their design for the '21.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts