Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am new to this forum. Who do I write to at Subaru? Do you have a department and an email or snail mail contact? I'd appreciate any help on this.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
765 Posts
Best thing to do is NOT take your car through an automated car wash - especially if you value your paint finish.
This is the correct and only answer!

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
Unfortunately, washing my car in my driveway is not an option in my neck of the woods for 4 months of the year, and coin washes during that time are... icy.

Plus with a 90 minute commute to work, and then back, there's barely enough time to eat and clean up before sleepytime. And I don't have kids. It's great that you think your way is better, though!

(To be fair, if I had kids, they'd wash my car...)

·
Registered
765 Posts
You often seem to think there is only one answer to things.
Some things only have one answer.
If you care about your cars paint you DO NOT use a drive through car wash and I stand by that statement. Pay for a hand wash.
**** you are better off leaving it dirty than going through a car wash.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,703 Posts
Some things only have one answer.
If you care about your cars paint you DO NOT use a drive through car wash and I stand by that statement. Pay for a hand wash.
Yeah, pardon me if I don't take car wash advice from someone with "Miami" in their user name. Some of us are in slightly harsher climates.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
44 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am new to this forum. Who do I write to at Subaru? Do you have a department and an email or snail mail contact? I'd appreciate any help on this.
I've never written to them myself, but I know other members of the forum have reached out before. Maybe they will add how they contacted SoA. Looking at their website, there is an option on the Customer Support page to email a number of departments/topics. It looks to me like Vehicle Issue would be the appropriate selection.

If you get in touch, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. I work in manufacturing (not automotive) and we have made changes/updates to our products based on customer complaints and recommendations, but unfortunately it tends to be a slow process.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah, pardon me if I don't take car wash advice from someone with "Miami" in their user name. Some of us are in slightly harsher climates.
Nothing to do with where you live.
You want your paint to last you don’t use a car wash. Ask any reputable local paint and body shop or higher end car dealer. Recycled water, harsh chemicals, not not even going to get into physical damage the non touch free ones cause.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Nothing to do with where you live.
You want your paint to last you don’t use a car wash. Ask any reputable local paint and body shop or higher end car dealer. Recycled water, harsh chemicals, not not even going to get into physical damage the non touch free ones cause.
In the rust belt if you want your car to last you wash it with whatever means is available in the winter months. Shiny, new looking paint doesn't do you much good if the panels are full of rust holes after being eaten away from the inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ironically, my dealership placed a sticker on my windshield which entitles me to free automatic car washes for life at their facility. I will take advantage as I live in the northeast and, as mentioned, salt in the winter needs to be dealt with. Am sure other methods of washing are preferred but, practically speaking, this is big perk in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
How exactly will a hand wash remove the salt and caked mud (which, coincidentally, is full of salt) off the bottom? Pay for a hand wash? Not likely. After 10 or 20 of those, done properly, I could just repaint the whole car instead, or at least pay for a kickass touchup and wax job.

No. I am not. Paint scratches are repairable. Rust holes in the floor, less so.

While your advice may be sound in Miami, trust me, anywhere with salt on the roads during winter, it's unworkable. I can't even get the carpets shampooed in winter here without drying the interior 8 hours, or ice will cake on every interior window within minutes, and no amount of cabin heat will remove it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I guess it’s a good thing we drive Subarus because I’ve had cars with significantly better paint that no one with any comon sense would take through a car wash. Yet, I see Porches, Lamborghinis and other exotics at car washes. I guess money doesn’t buy brains or maybe they have so much money they don’t care. I was taught to properly maintain my vehicles.

Google paint restoration and go down the rabbit hole of how to properly car for a cars paint coat.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
Well to be totally fair I didn't buy an Outback to keep it shiny... I bought it to abuse it, and I'm okay with pricey external detailing jobs every couple of years. Had I bought a Lambo, yes, I would take much better care of the paint. But, I bought an Outback. But I also wouldn't drive a Lambo in winter here.

Hah, money can't buy brains, but it can buy an Outback, and that's close enough for me!

I put plenty of coin into maintaining my cars. But in my climate, maintaining the exterior paint is a fool's errand. Better off to just do the best you can, put that money into rustproofing, and repaint it every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Google paint restoration and go down the rabbit hole of how to properly car for a cars paint coat.
I painted cars for a living for 20 years. I can't recall a single paint job that I did that was because of the owner using a car wash.

For my own car, during the summer months, I wash mine using a pressure washer. I've seen many people get triggered by washing that way as well. It's good entertainment seeing people lose their minds over things they don't understand. 😄

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
And then again, to be fair, I just took some of the powdercoat off my rims with a coin wash pressure washer... but I'm no expert, and those rims are factory 2012's.

And then again, to be fair, you never painted a car because of a car wash, but perhaps you painted a few after 20 of them?

I say we keep bashing heads over exterior maintenance in Miami, vs. Canada!

(p.s. Canada will win. We always do, eventually. Sorry about that.)

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
151 Posts
I have a new 2020 Outback Touring XT. Is there a shortcut button I can press to disable Eyesight controls when I go through a fully automated car wash? It would be really helpful if I could press a CAR WASH button!

Right now I figure I have to go through all the following steps in my car each time I go through a car wash. Anyone know an easier method?

CARWASH SHUT OFFS
Click SHORTCUTS on second main screen
Click CAR SETTINGS (shortcut I installed )
Click EYESIGHT (top menu)
1.Slide PRE-COLLISION BRAKING tab on top to
OFF
Then close PRE-COLLISION BRAKING screen
Go back to last screen with EYESIGHT on top
Slide scroll bar down to.
2.AUTO VEHICLE HOLD (AVH ) move tab to OFF
3.Slide AUTO START/STOP tab to OFF
4.Turn BSD/ RCTA tab to OFF
That is the Blind Spot Detection and Rear cross traffic alert

TURN ALL ON AGAIN WHEN LEAVING CARWASH
I would assume like the 2019's if you turn off the car and start again the settings are turned on automatically
Did they eliminate the button to the left of the steering wheel down low that did this function on the 2020's?
On previous years it was a button you pressed to deactivate Collision avoidance and when you turned the car off and on again the setting reset to on

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,546 Posts
Jim, Actually Scooby doo is correct!!! For years and years I always washed and waxed my own car and vacuumed and treated the tires. I even used to use Brillo pads on my father's 1960-1975 Buick's Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles! But at my age washing the car has become harder and harder for my back . So though Scooby Doo is right, I choose to keep my self from pain and use the unlimited car wash near me. They take extra good care of the interior ( before Covid that is) and treat my car like it is their own.
I hear ya on the aches and pains. I have an achy back if I spend too much time bending while doing certain tasks so I am sure my time will come for doing the same as you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2019 OB & a 2018 Forester. Both have Eyesight. I was told, by the dealer, that there is not a need to turn off Eyesight because it is inactive when in neutral at car wash speed. I have been thru carwashes many times with both vehicles, never had a problem.
Check with your dealer.
For us oldtimers, carwashes are heaven sent.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts