Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Really good forum you have here. I'm happy I found it.
I have a 98 4 cylinder Outback with 298,000 on it. Car looks and rides great. I've had it since new.

For about a month it will not shift out of first for several hundred yards during the first drive of the day. After that it works fine, even it if sits for several hours. It is just the very first time it shifts from first to second. The engine will rev to 6000 RPM plus if I don't take it very slow. It shifts into second hard (due to high revs) with no slippage and works great after that. No slippage in any gears.

Fluid appears very clean (pink) and full.

I called dealer to ask about a filter and fluid service and they said $140, which seemed very cheap. When I got there they told me that my car didn't have an external filter so they changed the fluid only. They said that to change the internal filter would be over $500 dollars, I suspect they meant an internal screen in the tranny but am not sure. Their service didn't help problem.

Do you folks have any suggestions about what might be wrong? Again, once the initial first to second shift is successful, everything is good for the rest of the day. This is the second generation one made from 1993 - 1999.

Thank you all very much in advance. I hope you can help me.

Dave

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
you could drain some fluid out and try a bottle of Trans-X , a few folks use it regularly/yearly (w'ever) to help cure 'delayed engagement' of gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts