Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am sorry if this is posted already, I could not find it. I have a 2018 outback with an automatic hatch. I went to get some larger lumber today and had to leave the hatch open. Part 1 what is the best way to close it down partially without messing up the motor. It seemed to want to fight me and I was afraid I might mess the motor up. Part 2 the hatch open beeped nonstop the entire way home, is there a way to cut off the alarm telling you the hatch is open? I am sure I will haul other large items in the future.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
There is a memory function included with the power hatch. You can set the degree/height of opening. Look in your owners manual.

You might also look in the manual for any info on driving with the hatch open, which may be prohibited.

Why not strap the load up top?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Why not strap the load up top?
Because my lawnmower doesn't ride well on the top? Not everything can ride on the top. I wouldn't drive with the rear gate open for a long trip due to carbon monoxide issues, but my dealer didn't have much to contribute when I asked them this question either. See the memory function for the power rear gate, starting at page 2-45 of the 2018 Outback owners manual; you can at least close it most of the way but I can't say whether the alarm will stop.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White, 2018 Crosstrek
361 Posts
There is a devise used by the people driving Subaru Outbacks that are into dog sports. They have a need to lock the tailgate in a part open position. The device is called "Ventlock Tailgate Locks". These come in various lengths. They will make the tailgate think it is closed and locked.

You can search for them on the internet and find You Tube videos. They are available from a dog supply company called Clean Run.

https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm/product/879/ventlock-tailgate-locks.htm

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,232 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that you can trip the lock latch with a screwdriver? I think he was a camper with one of those hatch tents.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
There is a devise used by the people driving Subaru Outbacks that are into dog sports. They have a need to lock the tailgate in a part open position. The device is called "Ventlock Tailgate Locks". These come in various lengths. They will make the tailgate think it is closed and locked.

You can search for them on the internet and find You Tube videos. They are available from a dog supply company called Clean Run.

https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm/product/879/ventlock-tailgate-locks.htm
I watched the video, but it doesn't help to figure out how to interface the Ventlock with Subaru's automatic rear gate...? Is it even compatible?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White, 2018 Crosstrek
361 Posts
I watched the video, but it doesn't help to figure out how to interface the Ventlock with Subaru's automatic rear gate...? Is it even compatible?

Yes it is, the lady who first showed to me owns an Outback Limited with power hatch. Just like the video shows, engage the bottom hook, then slowly pull the hatch down to engage the top loop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts