Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.0 Diesel with AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

There's a dedicated switch button for folding / unfolding side mirrors on my 2013 2.0 diesel Outback. It seems independent of whether the car is running or not (i.e. they won't automatically unfold when starting the engine or you could even fold them while driving and if you want them folder when car is parked - you need to remember to always press the button to fold them and then press again to unfold when starting).

Is there a way to configure the mirrors to automatically fold when the engine is off and unfold automatically when the car is started?, via ODBII or somehow?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
297 Posts
Hello,

There's a dedicated switch button for folding / unfolding side mirrors on my 2013 2.0 diesel Outback. It seems independent of whether the car is running or not (i.e. they won't automatically unfold when starting the engine or you could even fold them while driving and if you want them folder when car is parked - you need to remember to always press the button to fold them and then press again to unfold when starting).

Is there a way to configure the mirrors to automatically fold when the engine is off and unfold automatically when the car is started?, via ODBII or somehow?

Thank you!
I'm not sure if we have that option on our US model Outback, I really wish we have. Where are you located by the way.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.0 Diesel with AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh, did not realize that... Why aren't there many cars with power folding mirrors in the US and why aren't there many diesel engines in the US?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
297 Posts
Huh, did not realize that... Why aren't there many cars with power folding mirrors in the US and why aren't there many diesel engines in the US?
I'm thinking we don't need a folding mirror here in the US because our parking space here is wider than the EU, I knew that because I've seen it, and for the diesel, US is very strict on emission, especially here in California.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
Folding mirrors are nice to have in the USA.

But parking spaces overseas are much smaller. This elevates the feature from "nice to have" to "screwed without it"

·
Registered
2018 3.6r
89 Posts
We don't get the auto folding mirrors in aus either. I went and bought the module from Japan but haven't installed it yet. There are definitely aftermarket kits available though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would like the mirrors on my JDM '10 Outback to automatically fold in as well. My '04 JDM Outback used to be able to do it so I am surprised they have removed the feature in the replacement model.

As well as stopping them from getting smashed off, it was an easy way to tell if the car had been locked as you walked away from it.

The folding mirrors on my wife's BMW 3 series can be programmed to do it and it is an option in the touch screen on my Jag and it would be good to have the option on the Outback too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree.... I was looking for the button on my 2019 outback I just bought (I'm in NYC so it would def help) only to realize there's no auto-folding on them. That said, I'm new to the Subaru family and love my new car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts