Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to add a set of aux backup lights. Not sure what to go with yet. Ive swapped LED bulbs with my stock reverse bulbs but still not the brightness id like. Has anyone added aux lights that are tied into the reverse lights?

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Just get a cheap auxilliary light for a tractor or halogen fog lights at a farm store. Then wire the 12 volts to them through a relay and trigger the relay with the reverse lights. If you try to wire them directly to the reverse lights, they may not receive the full power and will be dim. Also, don't forget to put a fuse in line between the battery and relay. If you have a hitch, you can use that as a mounting point. I haven't done this on any of my Subes as they seem bright enough for me, but did do it on a truck once.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I'm not sure where you would mount them, unless you let them dangle under the bumper. These are reasonable and draw so little power that you can just splice into the reverse circuit.

DDM Tuning : RV / ATV / Marine

I've used LEDs from this company before and would buy again.

If you wanted to get crazy, you could mount one of these small motorcycle HID spotlights, but that should have a separate switch so you don't blind a driver behind you.

HID Lights

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im definatly looking into LEDs. I would splice them into the reverse lights and I dont want to draw too much power from them. May get a cheap set and swap out the bulb for LED. My front windows are tinted which is why Im interested in having brighter light when backing up.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
there are a couple of brands that you could cut in to the bumper and mount them that way.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/191.htm

i'd probably reccomend relaying them in, you don't want to over load a circuit and blow fuses, or heat up the wiring.

Thanks for mentioning the tint thing, i hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im probably going to get some rigid industry lights for the front. Been checking out a rally innovations light bar. But ill wait till Christmas and see if theres any discounts. I went with some pilot driving lights as my aux reverse lights and swapped out the bulbs with some 10w LEDs. no issues with the tint anymore!

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT 87Kmi
40 Posts
Hi,
I just did the install. I purchased a similar light to what Jevil suggested.
Amazon.com: OC Gizmo 10W CREE High Power LED Work Light Lamp Off Road Bike Motorcycle 2" 30 Degree Spot: Automotive
10Watt CREE LED to use it as an AUX reverse light. I mounted it on the side of my CURT hitch by drilling a hole in the side arm steel. I wired it right into the passenger side reverse lamp light (those are replaced by 7.5Watt LEDs I believe.

What a difference it has made. here are some links to the pictures i took today. I'm very happy with the result because the tinted windows make nighttime visibility a pain.
https://plus.google.com/photos/104076043307252828637/albums/5998264891512717409?sort=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts