Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere among the multitude of gas mileage and DTE dispute threads someone mentioned that their consumption screen reading was about 4% too high vs hand calculating MPG. It was also noted that they had the dealer add a correction factor to make it read about 4% lower and thus more accurate.

After several hand calcs with my 2018 Premium I too find it is generally off (too high) by 4-5 %. Now this is not really a big deal for me but if it could be lowered by say 4% that would be great.

I have asked Service Managers at two different Subaru dealers if they could add a correction factor to this reading. One said "huh?" as I expected. The other at least knew what I was asking about and said they have never been able to find a way to do this and added that if I could tell them how they would try. So...

1] How could I find that kind of service information? Would the Factory Service Manual explain it?

2] Is this kind of adjustment to electronics something an OBD could do? Or only the computer at the dealer?

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
Reactions: Trip Enroute

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
^^^^^

This is 100% correct.

I'm one of the ones who went, with a copy of the above, to my dealer with a -4% request.

The service writer didn't think it was changeable but after I showed her the document, 40 mins later it was done.

If I do more city driving/stop and go it displays more mpg but if I do almost all highway it displays a little less however if I do my usual blend of city/highway it's nearly perfect.

It's typically within .2 mpg of hand calculations.

-4% is spot on and the factory 0% always showed the wrong mileage.

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cost?

Thanks for the responses.

I don't have much experience with service at car dealers. Would I have to pay to have something like this changed? Or is it covered the same as if I had a rattle that needed fixed under warrantee?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I checked. The original link is good; nothing to fix. The PDF file was originally posted as an attachment here.
Is this just something we can provide to the dealer to prove to them that they have the ability to change it? It doesn't appear to be guidance for us as owners to adjust it ourselves.

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Is this just something we can provide to the dealer to prove to them that they have the ability to change it? It doesn't appear to be guidance for us as owners to adjust it ourselves.
As stated in my original post, all the way back on page 1 ...

Unfortunately, it's a dealer-only adjustment for MY 2015 and later.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
514 Posts
My experience was similar to others. The service writer said they were not permitted to make that kind of change. Unfortunately I was in for another reason and didn't have the information that's in the pdf. I politely told him it could be done and I would provide the how-to info. I emailed the pdf to him and his manager. Got a call to bring in the vehicle but first they would have to get the specific software module unlocked in order to perform the operation. Adjusted by -4%. Not perfect but closer to actual.
I don't think the service manager was being untruthful. I don't think the issue to adjust fuel economy had ever requested.

·
Premium Member
2016 OB Premium
95 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.