Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new AVO panel air filter yesterday. Ordered it straight from
AVO Turbo World International . They have great service and all prices include shipping anywhere in the world from Japan. Took about 8 days for the filter to get to my door.

The filter is well built and easy to install. However, I was disapointed when reading the instructions to find out that they recommend replacing the filter after two services. SInce they also recommedn to wash the filter every 10,000 miles, that means the filter would have to be replaced at 30,000 miles. Given that this filter costs $65 US, that makes it a bit more expensive then I thought.

Hard to say if the filter increases power or not, if it does it's only a few HP. However it does change the noise of the engine, letting you hear the turbo spool up, which is kind of neat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it a drop in air filter similar to the K&N?

Also, I noticed that your OB is RE-92 free, what did you replace them with? I am considering replacing mine with Falken ZIEX 512's but feel kind of foolish as the RE-92's only have 250 miles on them.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a drop-in replacement for the stock filter. http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?products_id=104

However, it is not oil-based like the K&N. There has been a lot of bad press for K&N. It is very easy to over-oil them and that can cause problems with clogging the sensors in your engine.

If you want an oil-based filter I would recommend the dual-stage Perrin filter. http://www.perrinperformance.com/Products/Legacy/Panel_Filter.htm That's the one I would buy if I had to do it over again.

I have not yet replaced the RE-92s, I simply switched to winter tires. I sold my RE-92s on eBay for $200. Those Crapenzas are dangerous on wet pavement and I never compromise on my safety.

I'm looking at several tires to replace them:
Falken ZE-512
Bridgestone Turanzza LS-V
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Toyo Proxes TPT

I'm still debating...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Oil applied air filters only get a bad rap when used with MAF based engines if and only if the air filter is before the MAF sensor. That is where you here about MAF failures or needing to be cleaned. Besides that I have never heard of any other worries with cotton/gauze oiled filters. Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you would recommend the Perrin filter over the AVO you just installed?
If I could get $200 for my RE92's the Falkens would be installed tomorrow. I will think about it. I had Falken Azenis 512's on my Allroad mounted on 18" wheels for the summer, I am very impressed with the Falken tires, especially considering the price.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the Perrin along with a cleaning/oil kit will come out to the same price as the AVO and will last longer. I didn't know that when I ordered the AVO...

Yes the Falkens are excellent tires. They are doing very well in tests and reviews and at the price, they are hard to beat.

Toyo and Kuhmo also make good tires for the money. Nokian makes some high performance tires that are very interesting. Unfortunately they are not imported into North America!

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
I've used K&N filters in 3 previous subarus' with no problems. Now I've switched to a Green Filter. It is made better and of better quality IMHO. If you oil it properly and let it sit overnight on a rag you should not have any problems. I've cleaned mine 3X so far in my F-XT and it still looks good as new and no issues at all.:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271

Oil applied air filters only get a bad rap when used with MAF based engines if and only if the air filter is before the MAF sensor.
Can't say I've ever seen a Subaru where the MAF was before the filter.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a Subaru where the MAF was before the filter.
Yep, that's why people sometime have problems with oiled air filters. Just like you stated, Peaty, overoiled. Then the MAF can get soiled messing with the airflow sensing directly affecting the ECU. Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Peaty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing