Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The All Wheel Drive shutters on turns, so a friend showed me the Front wheel drive only with the fuse,then it seems to drive normally. What is the problem with the AWD and where do I start. I have some problems with the ABS as well and don't know if this is related.

·
Registered
18,732 Posts
Do a search here for "torque bind". That's probably the cause of "shutters on turns". There's lots of threads and posts, with causes and suggestions for correction. The fact that the car seems to drive normally when in FWD mode is a good sign.

I doubt the ABS is related to the AWD, but that might depend on the problems being experienced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed both differential fluids and it was a big improvement. Does the transmission fluid have much to do with the problem or is it then the rear section of the transmission.

·
Registered
18,732 Posts
If the car has an automatic transmission, the differentials are separate from the transmission as far as the fluids are concerned.

The rear differential is clearly separate. The front differential is physically enclosed by what appears to be the same case as the transmission, but it's separated inside.

The differentials use GL-5 gear oil, the automatic transmission uses Dexron III-type automatic transmission fluid (ATF). They are very different.

It is possible that a defective differential could cause shuddering on turns, and that changing the differential fluid might correct this. But that's very rare.

But because the problem went away when the FWD fuse was inserted, that suggests that the shuddering was due to the AWD, which is disabled with the fuse installed. Changing the differential fluids has no effect on the AWD mechanism itself. It's part of the transmission, and makes use of the same ATF.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
some times the ''binding'' is caused by mismatched tires.
they need to be all the same brand, size, tread, wear, air pressure and within 1/4 inch in CIRCUMFERENCE. check them.

sometimes it is caused by dirty fluid and / or dirty passages the fluid moves through. changing the fluid, doing a drain and fill 3 times, MAY eliminate the problem or at least help. it can't hurt and is good for your trans.

sometimes it is caused by dirty, gummed up, or worn out clutch plates in the transfer clutch in the rear extension housing on the trans. not a cheap fix but doable with the trans in the car.

and some times it is caused by a bad duty C solenoid in the rear extension housing on the rear of the trans. but since the fuse eliminates the binding it seems to be working ok. only about a $100 part but the same work as the discs. (but if you have to open it up, i would replace the discs as well as the duty c. you don't want to go back in because you did not replace something.)

and sometimes it is caused by a bad TCU. weird, but true.

good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all! One full drain out of the transmission and replace the filter has corrected this Torque Bind. Clean always helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts