Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98" legacy outback, automatic. It has been great in the snow for the last 3 years and has new tires in the last year. We just had a snow storm and the car was barely driveable in a situation where it has always excelled. So I am thinking there is something wrong w/ the AWD. It seems like only one front wheel is spinning. Anyone have any ideas or had this problem before.

Thanks

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I also have a 98 but a manual. I'm not aware of any common problem causing a lot of front wheelspin, but people here have had a lot of discussions about which tires are better for which circumstances. Some people complain quite about about some tires in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

I do not think its the tires, because I had them at the end of last winter, as well as this winter, and they have worked really well. So I think it has to do with the all wheel drive not working properly.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I think you have an open front differential which is normal. Than means that you most likely will not actually drive both front wheels. Some Subies have a limited slip in the front which helps out a lot. Can anyone else confirm? I'm saying that depending on the situation, the front may not be able to pull you out of a slippery situation. Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
AFAIK the 98s at least had no front (or rear) slip limiters, though there is one in the center. But I've had very little trouble with wheelspin.

I only got stuck once, in about 11 inches of snowplow ridge a lane wide (got pushed out by a Buick).

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I had both right tires on snow pack/ice once. From a stop I almost could not go, I really had to rev it up to try and move the car. Both right tires were spinning. I do have a 5 speed. I almost got stuck. Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
bheinz57
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing