Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since many years ago subaru has included AWD in all thier vehicles. AWD is a great drivetrain in whick all four wheels always have power and you cannot shut it down to 2wd. But this is not true. subaru has said in thier outback manual that you can switch to fwd with the use of a fuse. WHich means they are not really 100% AWD.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It sounds to me like you are confusing Four Wheel Drive where all 4 wheels are mechanically linked to the engine directly when it is engaged and torque is pretty much 25% to each wheel; with the more advanced All Wheel Drive that Subaru uses. This uses electronic controls to transfer the power away from a wheel that slips to the wheels with more traction. Removing the fuse on 4cylinder Oubacks does make the car operate as a front wheel drive, but this is only intended for serving and doesn't to me indicate in any way that the cars are not true All Wheel Drive. If you're really worried about it get the 3.0R VDC, it doesn't have a fuse that can make it 2WD, it is ALWAYS AWD... (Actually I think that applies to all 3.0R)

·
Registered
32 Posts
jobe1492 said:
WHich means they are not really 100% AWD.
Well, this is not true in any sense of 100 % :) Try disabling the AWD on a MT H4 Outback. It can't be done. The centre LSD (visco-type) can't be controlled by a fuse or a switch. It basically just is. To remove the fuse to turn electronically controlled AWD into 2FWD is what's commonly known as a limp home measure/setting. Most if not all engine management systems have got similar modes that disable most of the nifty stuff just so that you can safely -kind of- limp home.
These last resort measures doesn't a carburettor make of a fuel injection no more than an AWD is turned into a two-wheel drive system by the presence of a fuse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what im talking about is a 2003 subaru outback w/o vdc. In the manual it said if you have a flat tire you can put a fuse in the fuse box to make it fwd and it said "the AWD function is deactivated" and that there would be some kind of 2wd warning light in the dash or something. it says it in the 2003 outback manual section 9-4 so is it true?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Well the simple answer here is that a Subaru with an automatic tranny has an electronically controlled AWD system. Hence if you pull a fuse it will disable the system. It doesn't mean that its not a true system, although I would think that it would be far more prone to failure than would a true mechanical system like what Subaru's with a manual transmission have.

Now Subes with a manual, the easiest way to disconnect the AWD would be to take out the driveshaft to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just stopped in to say this sounds like an interesting thing about the AT AWD.

So I could conceivably drive around with only the two front wheels powered? I've never owned a FWD car.

Hey, is there a way to create RWD, too? Only joking. Then again, maybe there is, but would involve some tricky rewiring....
;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings all. This is my first post on here and hopefully I'm not making some sort of forum-foul up.
Anyways my 95 Legacy Wagon 2.2 AT has never had a fuse in the little FWD thing near the passenger side front strut tower. I always thought that inserting a fuse would convert the car into a front wheel drive vehicle. Now I'm thinking that without the fuse it's been front wheel drive all along? Is this correct? If so, I need to put in a fuse ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whew. That's a relief. Thank you. I reread this thread and was still confused. Too early in the a.m. I guess. I appreciate the quick and simple response. Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
bburtrocks
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing