Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Outback is my first ever AWD vehicle, and I guess I'm just now discovering the tire dilemma it presents. Am I correct in thinking that without a 5 wheel rotation in place, a blowout that ruins a tire (not just a puncture), often means you're going to end up having to buy a whole new set of tires? Seems like that's the case, but maybe i'm missing something blindingly obvious.

I realize a ruined tire scenario is rare, but I've already had it happen more than once over the years.

AWD 101 maybe...but thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
...or you can get a shaved tire but yes I have replaced 4 tires because one was unrepairable before - for me this just happened once in 45 years of driving but if this kind of thing happens to you a lot then I would get heavier duty tires to minimize that risk.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,554 Posts
Your understanding is mostly correct.

The real issue is DIAMETER of all tires being within a specified measurement of each other. If you have to purchase a new tire, it may need to be "shaved" down to proper diameter to match the existing ones.

Incase you are not aware of the reason for this.... the computers are constantly measuring the RPM of all the tires. If one is spinning a different speed than the others, it is assumed there is slippage and the AWD system kicks in.

Having tires of different diameters will spin at different speeds... this causes the AWD system to attempt corrections. After driving miles with the AWD system trying to correct the problem, bad things can happen.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
277 Posts
Where do you get a tire shaved. I asked several shops about this for my 2005 XT last year. Could not find anyone who could do it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
Tire Rack does it for sure, and specialty racing folks do it as well.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5I Limited Tungsten with Ivory leather
172 Posts
What happens or needs to happen with the TPMS sensors when you do a 5 wheel rotation so that the readings on the dashboard stay correct?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,319 Posts
What happens or needs to happen with the TPMS sensors when you do a 5 wheel rotation so that the readings on the dashboard stay correct?
You’ll have to register the new sensor each time, unless you have a 20+ Onyx, Wilderness, Limited, or Touring which will sense the spare has been mounted automatically. With the Limited and Touring you’ll need to register the 5th sensor when you first upgrade to a full size spare; Onyx and Wilderness already have a full size spare and 5th sensor from the factory.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,323 Posts
Some folks have bought a used tire from ebay or ??? Just needs to be within 1 or 1.5 32nds inch of you3 3 present tires or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts