Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was really thinking I wanted an Outback for these harsh winters, two growing kids. We have a Forester XT right now. We really need something a lot bigger down the road, but need to save $ now. I have two weeks to buy a 2nd car for our fam for a new job and was thinking another used Forester or Outback - but began looking at the warranty Hyundai gives you for their certified pre owned Santa Fe. Any used Outback or Forester I can get for under 25k seems out or close to out of warranty. Hyundai dealer is offering me 23k for a 2019 Santa Fe SE AWD 3k miles with 1.9% financing. Does this sound ok? Thoughts? Just wondering if it's worth it to abondon the used Outback option in favor of Hyundai's warranty.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I was really thinking I wanted an Outback for these harsh winters, two growing kids. We have a Forester XT right now. We really need something a lot bigger down the road, but need to save $ now. I have two weeks to buy a 2nd car for our fam for a new job and was thinking another used Forester or Outback - but began looking at the warranty Hyundai gives you for their certified pre owned Santa Fe. Any used Outback or Forester I can get for under 25k seems out or close to out of warranty. Hyundai dealer is offering me 23k for a 2019 Santa Fe SE AWD 3k miles with 1.9% financing. Does this sound ok? Thoughts? Just wondering if it's worth it to abondon the used Outback option in favor of Hyundai's warranty.
If you are getting the new car Hyundai warranty on the Santa Fe, it is almost a no brainer, opt for the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Subaru also has a certified pre-owned program:

Factory-backed 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage, $0 deductible
The Outback is a more capable vehicle for all-weather safety. It makes no sense to get a lesser vehicle for your two growing kids - warranty be damned.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,364 Posts
The Santa Fe only has 3,000 miles? I would want a pretty convincing explanation as to why someone bailed on it already with that few miles. There might be a perfectly reasonable explanation but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
948 Posts
Sometimes people just buy the wrong car for their needs. It happens and is not that uncommon. Not everyone goes to painstaking research before signing on the dotted line. Also, life changes your path.

I'm not sure how long rental companies keep their vehicles before turning them over but I would doubt they would turn over a car with only 3k miles. They would not have even begun to recover their investment on it yet.

Ask for a carfax or similar. It may reveal some clues to its past life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ask for a carfax or similar. It may reveal some clues to its past life.
OK yes thanks for the advice - I didn't think that that would be an issue - but I can't believe I haven't asked for the Carfax yet

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
The Outback is a more capable vehicle for all-weather safety. It makes no sense to get a lesser vehicle for your two growing kids - warranty be damned.
All a matter of preference. Hyundai HTRAC AWD will be just as capable for all-weather safety.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok went out and sat in a Santa Fe and sat in an Outback. Is it me or is the Santa Fe just bigger? I'm leaning Outback now: 2017 Subaru Outback Premium 20k miles for 25k (not inc tax).

·
Registered
134 Posts
My brother in-la gets a new sonata every 4 years. He is on his 4th one and other than routine maintenance he hasn’t spent anything additional on them. In the Fall he is getting his fifth one .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Personally I like the outback, car seating position, great visibility and no slip/grip going on here... from what I understand Hyundai start becoming money pits around 100K

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
341 Posts
It depends on how long you think you want to own the vehicle for. I agree with a few people above that the Hyundai will be more than adequate to haul your family safely around in snowy conditions even if it is"sub par" to the OB. Hyundai's reliability has greatly improved over the past decade but I also wouldn't quite claim it is anywhere near the standard of a Toyota. That said, I also wouldn't put Subaru's reliability up there either as of late.

If the warranty is a long one and makes you feel better then I think it would be hard to pass up the Sante Fe. That said, if you want to own the vehicle as long as possible and drive it into the ground then my money would still be on the Subaru for long term reliability. Hyundai's tend to not have the most reliable electrical systems once you get north of 100k miles. This can get pricey and expensive to chase down if you cannot diagnose electrical issues on your own. They are not nearly as complex or over complicated as German cars but having to pay $800 for a new electrical board because one single integrated relay went bad is asinine...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok - after going on the really deep dive - I want to really stay in the Subaru fam. Test drove a nice 2018 Premium today - but it's the same problem with my Forester - the way the dash is set up - it juts out right at my knee if I'm not scooted all the way back (I'm super tall). Oh well hopefully this will be more a car for the wife.

Is a used 3.6 worth the extra $?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess it depends on you. We were going to need a new vehicle, but when we found out the 3.6 was gone- that made the timing happen sooner.

We were given a 2.5 loaner while it was in for some work- 2 days in that definitely solidified that the 3.6 was the right choice for us.
Pls elaborate on your 3.6 infatuaion!

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
341 Posts
In my case I wanted a family hauler that could accelerate briskly from 90km/h up to 120km/h to pass slower cars on long trips to the cottage when fully loaded. In my past experience 4 bangers are fine for stop light to stoplight acceleration and around town, where they fall short is when you are at higher speeds and need to accelerate. I typically like to have one of my two family cars as a "higher hp" option, this way when fully loaded I can trust it to have the power I need but I can take the other car when cruising around town running errands and save some fuel at the same time. Keep in mind I am used to driving 4 bangers and I have no issues running an engine out to red line. Many people bash 4 cylinder engines because they come from v8's and v6's and are used the the low end torque. They are scared to rev out an engine and therefore complain that a car is under powered when in reality it has enough power it is just available at higher rpm.

My ultimate decision came down to me also needing a car to town 2500lbs worth of track car/tow dolly and the 2.5i obviously doesn't fit that application. Drive both if you can and see what you think. Just make sure you get it on a highway to compare the high speed acceleration.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 3.6 is smooth power delivery. The 2.5 loaner felt like it was screaming all the time trying to deliver power.
We had a 2.5 in our Legacy, but it was a manual, so a much different feel. When we bought it we also tried a CVT Legacy and felt the same way. The manual made the 2.5 tolerable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts