Subaru Outback Forums banner

AWD Vehicle for under 25k? Used Santa Fe vs Outback

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  z28dug 
#1 · (Edited)
I was really thinking I wanted an Outback for these harsh winters, two growing kids. We have a Forester XT right now. We really need something a lot bigger down the road, but need to save $ now. I have two weeks to buy a 2nd car for our fam for a new job and was thinking another used Forester or Outback - but began looking at the warranty Hyundai gives you for their certified pre owned Santa Fe. Any used Outback or Forester I can get for under 25k seems out or close to out of warranty. Hyundai dealer is offering me 23k for a 2019 Santa Fe SE AWD 3k miles with 1.9% financing. Does this sound ok? Thoughts? Just wondering if it's worth it to abondon the used Outback option in favor of Hyundai's warranty.

#2 ·
If you are getting the new car Hyundai warranty on the Santa Fe, it is almost a no brainer, opt for the Santa Fe.

#4 ·
Subaru also has a certified pre-owned program:

Factory-backed 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage, $0 deductible
The Outback is a more capable vehicle for all-weather safety. It makes no sense to get a lesser vehicle for your two growing kids - warranty be damned.

Reactions: jakemccoy
#9 ·
The Outback is a more capable vehicle for all-weather safety. It makes no sense to get a lesser vehicle for your two growing kids - warranty be damned.
All a matter of preference. Hyundai HTRAC AWD will be just as capable for all-weather safety.

Reactions: Tmontague
#7 ·
Sometimes people just buy the wrong car for their needs. It happens and is not that uncommon. Not everyone goes to painstaking research before signing on the dotted line. Also, life changes your path.

I'm not sure how long rental companies keep their vehicles before turning them over but I would doubt they would turn over a car with only 3k miles. They would not have even begun to recover their investment on it yet.

Ask for a carfax or similar. It may reveal some clues to its past life.

#14 ·
It depends on how long you think you want to own the vehicle for. I agree with a few people above that the Hyundai will be more than adequate to haul your family safely around in snowy conditions even if it is"sub par" to the OB. Hyundai's reliability has greatly improved over the past decade but I also wouldn't quite claim it is anywhere near the standard of a Toyota. That said, I also wouldn't put Subaru's reliability up there either as of late.

If the warranty is a long one and makes you feel better then I think it would be hard to pass up the Sante Fe. That said, if you want to own the vehicle as long as possible and drive it into the ground then my money would still be on the Subaru for long term reliability. Hyundai's tend to not have the most reliable electrical systems once you get north of 100k miles. This can get pricey and expensive to chase down if you cannot diagnose electrical issues on your own. They are not nearly as complex or over complicated as German cars but having to pay $800 for a new electrical board because one single integrated relay went bad is asinine...

#15 ·
Ok - after going on the really deep dive - I want to really stay in the Subaru fam. Test drove a nice 2018 Premium today - but it's the same problem with my Forester - the way the dash is set up - it juts out right at my knee if I'm not scooted all the way back (I'm super tall). Oh well hopefully this will be more a car for the wife.

Is a used 3.6 worth the extra $?

#24 ·
Depending on your zip code, you should easily be able to buy a new 2020 base trim level Outback for $25K out-the-door plus taxes, registration, and title. In competitive markets, everybody gets at least 8% off MSRP through the web interface where you ask for a quote.

#27 ·
Although they make a decent vehicle these days, any money you save buying a Hyundai you will lose two fold when it's time to trade it in. Been there. Done that.
My vote: Ride in style and with confidence. Get a new/used Outback or Forester.
Hmmm...OB and Forester are not the first cars that come to mind when I think about riding in style...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.