Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I made my own. Just for fun last year. These types of deletes make the car sound like a blender. Here is my XT.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
366 Posts
I had the nameless 5" on my 3.6. Took them off after a few weeks. Sounded great but the resonating bass inside the cabin got annoying on my daily commute. LP Aventure came out with an axle back that's supposed to be much quieter inside. Will have to see if anyone gives that one a go.

https://lpaventure.com/collections/...lachute-performance-axleback-2018-outback-36r
I agree. My word might not mean much as I don't own either of the two, but just from listening to the subtleties between the nameless and the lp adventures, you can almost hear the difference in sound the catback's make at idle. The lp is so much more reserved, and yet on that WOT it was still a great sound, whereas the nameless is all about sound all the time!
To each his own as they both sound great, but for my next purchase I'll definitely have to try lp's offerings.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Would an axle-back exhaust have any of a performance improvement in the vehicle? E.g... reducing back pressure for a slight increase in torque/HP?

Or is it just a sound effect?

If there are improvements has anyone quantified it?

I would rather go the other way with noise (quieter) but if it bumped performance or fuel economy that might be interesting.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
There are zero gains from an axleback, Just noise. Especially the 3.6R, it's pretty well maxed out from the factory. Headers, a full exhaust and tuning can gain a little, like a very little.

How little? I have a buddy (member here, just not active) who is making sea level power at mile high. Cherry is is also tuned, and that's about my benefit as well. Sea level power at mile high. My car is stock outside of the tune. (power wise)

Axleback alone - Zero really.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Thanks Chris, That is good to know.

Since I am usually on fire trails in the woods I prefer to sneak up on wildlife. Running at right around idle speeds I can see some amazing things.
---------
Loud noises and animals can have negative side-effects. When I was an independent engineering consultant I had designed and installed programmable logic controller in a chicken house. The rancher wanted an audible alarm if the watering system stopped working so I put one of those little "Sonalert" beepers on it. He complained that he could not hear it and on his own he installed a police siren inside of the chicken house.

The first time it went off about 20 chickens dropped dead.

A burbling and popping Subie exhaust system might scare off the furry woodlands creatures.

Reactions: HanoverGimp and kdl

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
There are zero gains from an axleback, Just noise. Especially the 3.6R, it's pretty well maxed out from the factory. Headers, a full exhaust and tuning can gain a little, like a very little.

How little? I have a buddy (member here, just not active) who is making sea level power at mile high. Cherry is is also tuned, and that's about my benefit as well. Sea level power at mile high. My car is stock outside of the tune. (power wise)

Axleback alone - Zero really.
+1, axleback alone is nothing more than sound effects, and bad ones at that.

Notice if you go to the cited link the $600 axleback is referred to as the "performance" axleback. Now try to find any performance improvement numbers on the web site.

Hey but if you want a car that sounds like your grandfather two hours after eating at Taco Bell then by all means go for it...............

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
86 Posts
I went with Nameless Performance's muffled version. Much louder than stock, and worth every penny IMO.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Isn't it time someone starts selling XL-enlarged mufflers? Like suppressors but for cars?... I remember when Prius' had to be made louder in Japan due to them "sneaking up and hitting pedestrians" Now that is some performance upgrade I could get on board with.. :sneaky:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts